• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 11:04 PM

This is a carb that I have had around here forever it seems collecting dust. Where it came from, I have no idea, but now it will have a home. It is a Kohler #26 that I boiled out quite some time ago, and bushed the body, replaced the throttle shaft because it was also worn down quite a bit.

I just brought home a Cub 1250 back on Labor Day, and started going thru it to get it going.

It fired up and ran on ether (yeah I know not the best choice)  but no gas would flow thru the seat in the carb, even with the float and needle taken clean out. (but have gas at the line going "to" the inlet fitting)

That carb (a Walbro 52) is in the dunk as we speak, to see if there might be any hope for that to become a usable spare for something....now that I am up to 4, 12hp Kohlers (2 K301s, 2 M12s) a spare carb might be handy to have around after all.....

but this Kohler 26... at one time it had a spring and a BB in it on the far side from the choke lever so it would stay open or closed as needed, and not flop around.  Now nowhere to be found. I tried to dig the ones out from the Walbro  to try in the kohler carb, and it seems that it is either gummed up and stuck or else peened into place;

I know on the other Kohler carbs I have messed with that have this "feature", they do just fall out.

I tried to spray the one in the Walbro with Kroil more than once and squeezed it/ released it and it moves free but just will not pop out.

My question is this; does anyone here know of a commonly available spring and BB to fit the hole behind the choke shaft bore?  I found that cutting down a spring from a retractable ballpoint pen will fit if I wind it in from the side (won't fit thru the threaded hole for the air cleaner right in line with it)

I have a "milk carton" full of BB's here that I have picked thru a few of, and all that I tried,are just a little too fat.

I'm thinking a small ball bearing.....

I'm thinking shipping (if OE parts are still around) would cost more than the "correct" spring and BB.... so I am looking for a "what else fits". 

#2 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • Member No: 73578
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 11:14 PM

what about the ball out of an air line coupler? They are smaller than normal BB's...

• Alc and dodge trucker have said thanks

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 05:56 AM

How about a grease nipple ?
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#4 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 402 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 11:55 AM

I lost the ball out of the carb on my 149. Put it back together without it and have seen no issue. There is enough resistance in the choke cable to keep it open when it's running. I think the detent ball is meant for manual. use without a choke cable. Thats my thought and I'm sticking to it. LOL

• Alc and dodge trucker have said thanks

#5 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • Member No: 61353
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 01:19 PM

I have used the spring out of a bic lighter for several things ...

#6 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 02:57 PM

Take your choice out of what ever size shot shell you want.

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 04:44 PM

I lost the ball out of the carb on my 149. Put it back together without it and have seen no issue. There is enough resistance in the choke cable to keep it open when it's running. I think the detent ball is meant for manual. use without a choke cable. Thats my thought and I'm sticking to it. LOL

yeah I was thinking that.... I need a choke cable anyway this one was seized solid....  but in case I want to run it in the meantime til I get my new cable.... want to run it a bit to verify that the rest of the machine works... hydro is good, etc before I start spending money on things like that.