9 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 04:42 PM

Going to make 3 + hour road trip, one way to get a new dog.  Ours got hit by a wild driver, intentionally I might say.  Seen the vehicle go by several times in the past month, driving like he stole it.  We live right on a sharp 90° turn on a rock road that turns to dirt just past our place. Nobody else lives on this road.  I was outside and seen it all.  Know the truck and just waiting for the right moment.  That was 3 weeks ago and haven't had ANY vehicles past here since except for some cars driving slow out sight seeing.

Any way, I found the right dog at the right price and going to pick him up tomorrow.  One BIG puppy at 12 weeks old now.  Photo was taken when he was 10 weeks old.  He is 1/2 Pyrenees, 1/4 Anatolian Shepherd and 1/4 Akbash.  All are basically livestock guard dogs.  He should be able to take care of any coyotes that come in to close with no problem.

New Pup.jpg

• Gtractor, grnspot110, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#2 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 04:46 PM

Holy big dog !!!  should make a great guard dog there.  sorry to hear about the other one, some people have no repect.

Pete

• Delmar and chieffan have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,765 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 05:35 PM

My condolences on your loss. We used to have Newfies. Great dogs but no sense about cars. Good Luck, Rick
  • Delmar and chieffan have said thanks

#4 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,321 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 07:54 PM

Sorry to read of your loss.  Glad to read you found another to take its place.  And is sounds like it will be as fine guard dog for your livestock.  congrats! 

• chieffan said thank you

#5 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,609 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 08:31 PM

I'd have a spike strip laying on the other side of the road with a LONG string tied to it and up close to the house. 

You hear him coming - start tuggin'

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 06:52 AM

Thanks for all on condolences.  Jake was something real special.  A heck of a livestock protector, mine and the neighbors.  At the same time he was big teddy bear with a couple cats, the drake duck and of course the granddaughter.

Made the trip in good time.  Very little traffic and good roads.  Only had 2 towns to go through and they were no problem, thanks to GPS.  Duke slept most of the way home.  A few times he would stick his head over the council and get some attention and then back to sleep again.  Of course the step daughter and granddaughter had to come over.  Didn't take long for the two to buddy up. Harper & Duke.jpg

Duke will be 10 weeks old on the 16 th.  Weight 24.5 lbs.  I love that face.

Attached Thumbnails

• Harper & Duke.jpg

Edited by chieffan, September 14, 2015 - 06:54 AM.

• Gtractor, grnspot110, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 06:59 AM

I'd have a spike strip laying on the other side of the road with a LONG string tied to it and up close to the house. 

You hear him coming - start tuggin'

That is what Carolyn wants to do.  I asked the sheriff what would happen if I used a paint gun to mark some of those pickups that think this corner is a race track.  He just laughed.  The former sheriff I worked with for several years asked if I ever heard of rocks fall from strange places?

• Gtractor and Delmar have said thanks

#8 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,321 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 08:51 AM

Duke is gonna be a BIG dog!

Edited by Delmar, September 14, 2015 - 08:52 AM.

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 11:45 AM

Condolences on losing your other family member.

That is going to be one big dog.

My dad hit the neighbor's dog back in the late 70's, owner was standing in the yard and watched it. The dog decided to chase the truck coming the other direction, bolted out in our lane, dad just locked them up, nowhere to go. Owner said he knew she would get it someday as she chased every car that came up the road. Sad that they happen.

We also live on a 90* sharp corner, since ours is blacktop, then new thing is for the young idiots is to see if the can drift around the corner. With as many t-poles and ditches, one of them is gonna bite it someday. It's bad enough we sometimes get one who miss judges curve and ends up in ditch or sideswipes the pole.

#10 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 05:50 PM

I know what you mean TAHOE.  We had one farmer many years ago the would pull his grinder mixer behind the tractor full tilt around the corner.  Fast enough the grinder mixer would swing to the side.  I called the sheriff and he called them to his office.  The father said he was busy and didn't have time.  WRONG ANSWER !!  He had one hour for him and his son to be in the sheriff's office or thy both would spend 24 hours in Jail.  The sheriff had both their driving record when they got there. Had them read their own record first, then each others.  ( Both quit lengthy with traffic violations.)  The sheriff gave them two choices.  Stay off this road completely as they had no reason to travel it, or he would impose a 15 mph speed limit on it for them for the 2.5 mile distance.  Haven't seen them on this road since.  One down and about 5 to go.

• TAHOE said thank you