• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,442 Thanks
  • 953 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 11:48 AM

You can use quality rattle can primer but keep in mind it breaths.  Top coat with paint ASAP.  Napa carries some quality rattle can primers, they are $7.00 or more. If the parts are being blasted the media should remove any rust. 99% of a good paint job is preparation, a clean surface. Make sure you use a pre cleaner (lacquer thinner is ok) before applying any primer. Gun wash is same product and cheaper (lets keep within your budget) but likely only available at shop that sells automotive paint.  

You have no doubt seen vehicles driving around where someone has  started to repair body,,shot some primer on and now over time rust is appearing on top of primer...This is because rattle can primer breathes, its not a sealer.  Oxidization process has begun below primer. I use epoxy for most part because my projects may be a year or so away from getting the top coat. Plus it is cheap if you are painting frequently. I am using Eastwood Epoxy @ $129 per gallon paint which includes the gallon of hardener..So 2 gallons of sprayable product. AND I'M CHEAP.. Currently sand blasting and have run the same bag through the pot blaster 6 times and media is holding up well!

sorry about the long winded post :smilewink:

Edited by Jazz, September 16, 2015 - 11:51 AM.

• Alc and Manfjourde have said thanks

#17 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • Member No: 74288
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 12:55 PM

Not winded ;) That Eastwood price isn't bad - I think 2 quarts would be plenty. I want it to last and not paint again for a long, long time. Also, with the weather turning I may not paint until spring and it will sit in the garage. I don't want it to rust.

If I understand correctly, do a lacquer thinner wash or gun wash on the parts, then shoot epoxy primer?

#18 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 604 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 02:45 PM

When painting on bare metal you will want a sealer primer.  I usually go for a good epoxy primer from a rattle can, then use a good quality paint from a rattle can that has a fan spray nozzle. If you take your time you can actually get a good paint job on something like a GT.

• Manfjourde said thank you

#19 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,442 Thanks
  • 953 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 03:54 PM

I could paint a whole car with that 2 quart kit..this primer covers well and you only have to mix up what you need. Maybe 2 cups to do your whole tractor.

Use lacquer thinner to clean spray gun and get gun as clean as it was out of the box or it will give you grief! Watch a Utube on cleaning spray gun.   I never lend my spray guns. There are pre cleaners for cleaning parts but lacquer thinner is fine on bare metal, just don't used it on painted items,,it will wash the paint off.

#20 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 04:26 PM

I could paint a whole car with that 2 quart kit..this primer covers well and you only have to mix up what you need. Maybe 2 cups to do your whole tractor.

Use lacquer thinner to clean spray gun and get gun as clean as it was out of the box or it will give you grief! Watch a Utube on cleaning spray gun.   I never lend my spray guns. There are pre cleaners for cleaning parts but lacquer thinner is fine on bare metal, just don't used it on painted items,,it will wash the paint off.

Would I need some thinner to go along with the primer too? And after this epoxy coat a coat of "normal" primer?

#21 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,442 Thanks
  • 953 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 04:45 PM

No thinner required for epoxy.  Apply a couple coats then allow to dry for a few days then wet sand with 400 grit.   Epoxy primer can be top coated with paint.

#22 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 09:42 AM

No thinner required for epoxy.  Apply a couple coats then allow to dry for a few days then wet sand with 400 grit.   Epoxy primer can be top coated with paint.

About how long would you say between coats? I just ordered some Eastwood epoxy primer and should be spraying next week.

#23 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,442 Thanks
  • 953 posts

Posted September 17, 2015 - 11:56 AM

30 to 60 minutes flashover time depending on temperature and humidity. READ product tech sheet. 3 minute video attached

Edited by Jazz, September 17, 2015 - 11:56 AM.

#24 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 12:01 PM

30 to 60 minutes flashover time depending on temperature and humidity. READ product tech sheet.

What brand paint do you use with the Eastwood epoxy primer? I'm wondering the primer will have compatibility issues.

#25 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,442 Thanks
  • 953 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 02:04 PM

Never had compatibility issues and I have top coated with various automotive finishes. Once you have applied your primer I would let it dry a few days before wet sanding if you would like a smoother finish. This allows primer to not only dry but harden as well . Take your spray gun apart to clean each time, there's only 7 or 8 pieces you have to keep track of when cleaning
  • Manfjourde said thank you

#26 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 03:00 PM

Never had compatibility issues and I have top coated with various automotive finishes. Once you have applied your primer I would let it dry a few days before wet sanding if you would like a smoother finish. This allows primer to not only dry but harden as well . Take your spray gun apart to clean each time, there's only 7 or 8 pieces you have to keep track of when cleaning

And do you clean all blasted metal with wax and grease remover or lacquer thinner? Or just the the spots with a bit of flash rust?

#27 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,442 Thanks
  • 953 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 06:16 PM

everything that is going to see paint needs to be cleaned with degreaser. Your air tools are lubed with oil and leave residue. Why not clean everything or you risk laying down a nice coat of paint to expose a greasy finger print in the middle of the hood or a fisheye from some airborne contaminant.  I like RM 900 wax and grease cleaner. Duplicolor cleaner takes much longer to dry/dissipate

• KennyP said thank you