• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • Member No: 74288
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 08:44 AM

Can anyone weigh in on the quality of this stuff?

Also what primer would work well with it if I go the krylon route?

#2 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 11:09 AM

Krylon is OK  ,,, but it will scratch fairly easy down the road.. mostly cause of the thin layer rattle cans put down...  Any primer should be ok except rustolium .  Unless you want a wrinkle finish...

#3 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 06:34 PM

You have gone to all the work of preparing your tractor for a fresh coat of paint and now considering a $4.00 rattle can paint job. :mad2:  The paint will have minimal gloss and no durability.  I would go to a paint store and buy a pint of single stage paint and apply that as per the instructions... A good paint store will lead you through the process and will be knowledgable of the product they are selling as well you can have the exact colour you desire..JMHO

#4 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 07:11 PM

I've just never used a gun and hear metallic is harder to get looking right. I'd rather do nice paint but don't want it to look awful.

#5 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 07:14 PM

I agree with Jazz. Get automotive paint from a local store and add some hardener. You can spray with an HVLP gun driven by a pancake compressor. You aren't spraying a lot of paint for a long period of time so you don't need a giant compressor. Don't be afraid of paint. Worst case, if you don't like it, wet sand it and buff it out. The hardener allows you to do that sooner. Long term you will be much happier.

If you decide to do go this route, don't shoot on top of spray can primer. Step up for good primer/sealer from the same shop. They will help you and want you to be successful, after all their livelihood depends on people being happy with their paint.

Good luck.
  • Alc said thank you

#6 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 07:17 PM

If you are spraying metallic, spray all of your parts at the same time. Metallic can get flip flop if not sprayed under same conditions. The flakes can lay at different angles and appear to be a different color as you change your viewing position. Hang your parts in the same order that they will get assembled and spray away.

It's like making home brewed beer "don't worry".

#7 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 11:11 PM

Thanks for the input. I currently have a Husky 7 gallon compressor and am looking at the touch up gun from HF for a LVLP spray it gun from Home Depot. I'm painting a blasted '59 Bolens ride a matic. It's closest color has a bit of metallic to it and that's what "scares" me. But as you all day - I don't want to go to all this work of restoration and do crsppy paint. I plan to use the tractor but this way it would last longer.

Will I shoot the quality auto primer through the gun too?

I don't have a decent respirator so should I do hardener and get a cheap respirator or just leave the paint as is with perhaps some thinner?

#8 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 06:20 AM

Be careful with some of those hardeners !!  ....Some are extremely toxic, and exposure can cause some serious health issues!

Isocyanates are potentially dangerous irritants to the eyes and respiratory tract.

I know of several people who have been victims of exposure.

Get a proper respirator, and spray outdoors.

• Manfjourde said thank you

#9 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 09:59 AM

Generally HVLP guns require minimum 7cfm @90 to work efficiently.  Make sure the gun does not require more volume than you can supply or the paint will not atomize properly and you will get a rough finish.  A gravity feed gun will work fine. Touch up guns are just that and don't lay down a large enough volume of paint  in my opinion to do a nice job on your hood or fenders...it will do the job but will be slow and tedious.

Use a proper respirator. You may find yourself using it more often when grinding etc as there are many different filters. Make sure you have proper filters on. If you can smell paint with respirator on you either do not have a good fit on respirator or you have the wrong filter attached. Read the label.

Indoors I use full face mask respirator. 

Keep us posted....

and the kitchen hand mixer is the best paint mixer around the house..they will lift all the pearl off the bottom of can!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1435.JPG

Edited by Jazz, September 13, 2015 - 10:05 AM.

• Manfjourde said thank you

#10 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 08:00 PM

I would stay away from a detail gun. One it will drive you nuts refilling it. Spend the money for a good respirator with removable cartridges. Don't cheap out on it. You only have one set of lungs.
  • MH81 said thank you

#11 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 09:33 PM

Are the $40 respirators from the bug bid stores fine for this? The 3M ones?

I'm thinking of getting a LVLP gun since my compressor has a lower CFM
  • Alc said thank you

#12 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 03:56 AM

The $40 3M respirators have replaceable cartridges.  It could last you a lifetime and you can swap out paint cartridges for dust cartridges if you are sandblasting or some other dirty deed. Just make sure you have proper cartridge in place for whatever you are doing.

This is what I use for spraying indoors

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1a05f0af09

Edited by Jazz, September 14, 2015 - 04:03 AM.

• Alc and Manfjourde have said thanks

#13 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 11:45 AM

So if I go with the Ride a matic green that Bolens1000 found to work (martin senour from NAPA) should I get the automotive primer there as well or would bombs work on it?

#14 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 08:56 PM

Use the same Martiin Seniur primer that your NAPA guy recommends.

#15 Manfjourde OFFLINE  

Manfjourde
  • 78 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 09:23 AM

Well I spoke with NAPA guy and he wanted to sell me some epoxy primer which would be nice but way expensive for my goal.

The parts are being blasted today - any tips on removing surface rust prior to priming? 

Do you have any suggestions of primer that have worked well? I want it to look nice, hold up, yet still plan on using the tractor so it doesn't need to be a queen.

I may start a new thread in general regarding my painting process.