• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 11, 2015 - 06:38 AM

I won't. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when it happened.

• DH1, Delmar, jd.rasentrac and 1 other said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted September 11, 2015 - 06:43 AM

It was tragic, BUT! Also don't forget the thousands of our military killed and 100,000s physically and psycologically injured in a poorly conceived retailation. When you have a big stick, you have to use it once in awhile. Iraq was a perfect example.
  • HANKG and karl have said thanks

#6 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 908 Thanks
  • 659 posts

Posted September 11, 2015 - 08:34 AM

To those lost, and left behind. I'll never forget.

Thanks for posting, sir.

Edited by tiretrx, September 11, 2015 - 08:35 AM.

#7 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted September 11, 2015 - 01:01 PM

It's like Brian said before: I was driving w/ my car and I heard the news. I remember everything: the weather, the mood, the place where I was driving - everything.

• KennyP said thank you

#8 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted September 11, 2015 - 03:41 PM

I won't. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when it happened.

Me too.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted September 11, 2015 - 05:51 PM

I'll never forget, and I didn't know anyone lost.  Imagine what it's like for the victim's families.  Same goes for all lost soldier's families.

• KennyP and JDBrian have said thanks

#10 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,230 Thanks
  • 5,071 posts

Posted September 11, 2015 - 08:48 PM

I spent my 9-11 enjoying my local county fair with my family. To me proves that these terriost haven't hurt or impeded our way of life.
  • MH81 said thank you

#11 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted September 11, 2015 - 10:13 PM

I thought politics was banned, I guess I just hoped liberal bias politics were banned!

I'm not a liberal nor a conservative, I am an engineer. I'm a very rational person. I joined the Army during Vietnam but really thought that NV should have been nuked. LBJ was a Texas politician that made a fortune off a war that he started.

I still believe in this country. I do not believe in any of the politicians anymore. They are only in it for themselves. The last good candidate for President was Bob Kerry of NE. He was a leader who put others lives ahead of his own.

I saw this up close in the late 80s. Up until then, the First Selectmen in our area were mostly retired WWII vets who did the job as a last duty, for little money and no benefits. As they aged and could no longer do the jobs, young professional politicians came in. Salaries suddenly jumped by $40,000 per year and retirement and medical benefits were added. Municipal staffs were cut and consultants were hired. This was supposed to save money but it didn't. Somehow the consultant fees grew substancially. The politicians might have complained but the consultants are good campaign contributors. I was the town engineer shared between 12 towns for 10 years. I completed projects fast and way below budget. I saw how the politicians sell out the public in favor of their self interest too many times.

I usually go to our local VA Hospital atleast once per month. I lost 1/2 a lung and the top of my stomach and some other problems. It doesn't bother me seeing my generation there but, it does bother me alot to see kids there with wounds that I hadn't seen since the mid70s. They are being forgotten already by main stream America. Many of the current vets only get a couple of years of VA coverage. I hope we are able to clean up our leaders.
  • olcowhand and Mr Electrak have said thanks

#12 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted September 11, 2015 - 11:02 PM

Remember the Alamo, Pearl Harbor and 9/11.

• MH81 said thank you

#13 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,450 Thanks
  • 3,359 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 05:49 PM

I'm not a liberal nor a conservative, I am an engineer. I'm a very rational person. I joined the Army during Vietnam but really thought that NV should have been nuked. LBJ was a Texas politician that made a fortune off a war that he started.
I still believe in this country. I do not believe in any of the politicians anymore. They are only in it for themselves. The last good candidate for President was Bob Kerry of NE. He was a leader who put others lives ahead of his own.
I saw this up close in the late 80s. Up until then, the First Selectmen in our area were mostly retired WWII vets who did the job as a last duty, for little money and no benefits. As they aged and could no longer do the jobs, young professional politicians came in. Salaries suddenly jumped by $40,000 per year and retirement and medical benefits were added. Municipal staffs were cut and consultants were hired. This was supposed to save money but it didn't. Somehow the consultant fees grew substancially. The politicians might have complained but the consultants are good campaign contributors. I was the town engineer shared between 12 towns for 10 years. I completed projects fast and way below budget. I saw how the politicians sell out the public in favor of their self interest too many times.
I usually go to our local VA Hospital atleast once per month. I lost 1/2 a lung and the top of my stomach and some other problems. It doesn't bother me seeing my generation there but, it does bother me alot to see kids there with wounds that I hadn't seen since the mid70s. They are being forgotten already by main stream America. Many of the current vets only get a couple of years of VA coverage. I hope we are able to clean up our leaders.

I'm a veteran of the 101st, 5th Spec Ops, spent about 9 months in the western A Shau Valley. Lost 6 of 35 men, sent another off in a Huey holding his intestines in his hands, I know what you're talking about. However to name names and leave out the worst offenders seems quite biased.

By the way, why was my post deleted if yours wasn't? Mine in no way shape or form, could be construed as more political than your two.

Edited by toppop52, September 12, 2015 - 05:50 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#14 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 06:13 PM

I'm a veteran of the 101st, 5th Spec Ops, spent about 9 months in the western A Shau Valley. Lost 6 of 35 men, sent another off in a Huey holding his intestines in his hands, I know what you're talking about. However to name names and leave out the worst offenders seems quite biased.

By the way, why was my post deleted if yours wasn't? Mine in no way shape or form, could be construed as more political than your two.

Mine was edited by a Moderator. Everything about recent politicians was taken out. We are not supposed to call people names. They even took out my referrence to Kerry's Medal of Honor. Does it bother you more to see the kids than our generation at the VA? I know I took alot and the memories of the pain have dimmed but these young ones just seem sooo young. Good Luck, Rick

Did the bellywound make it?

This was stateside. When I was first brought in I was clasified "expected". One of the Nurses recognized me from dating one of the Nurses who had just been transferred out. For two weeks it was the Nurses keeping me alive and the butchers trying to finish me off. It was the MDs that damaged the lung and stomach. The nurse and I have been married since I got out of Walter Reed in 78.

Edited by boyscout862, September 12, 2015 - 06:23 PM.

• olcowhand and toppop52 have said thanks

#15 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,450 Thanks
  • 3,359 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 07:56 PM

I'm married to an RN as well! 40 years come November 8, No back story like yours though. Of course the young kids bother me more, but I was a 19 year old when I was charged with 35 other lives. The danger and stress were immense, but add physical injury to that and I don't know how they/ you survived. I lost a close friend, another survives today, less a lung, and parts of other organs. I was visited by those in my outfit that didn't make it home, for a few years, but I was lucky, they went away along with the dreams and jumping at every loud sound. Some never get their life back.
  • olcowhand, MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks