• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 CamoWoodDuck OFFLINE  

CamoWoodDuck
  • Member No: 75153
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 10, 2015 - 07:27 PM

Ok so first off I'm brand new to this site and have been reading through some stuff and already have learned more then I have in two days worth of internet searches :wallbanging:  So recently I went to a local fair here in Wisconsin and saw for the first time garden tractor pulls and was instantly hooked.  My grandpa had a huge collection of Deeres while I was growing up and even had his own farm tractor puller for years.  Anyways I just recently picked up a 1979 John Deere 214 with the 14 hp Kohler motor and haven't found much as far as resources on things to start with, things to look for etc.  I wanna make it a puller but cannot decide between keeping the stock motor and beefing it or going for a diesel swap.  So I'm here looking for advice, is it a good base tractor to start with? its got a 4 speed tranny is the rear end in these tough? Any advice would be very helpful as far as where to start what needs to be done, plan on doing most of it myself

• Alc, Chris11 and jd.rasentrac have said thanks

#2 Chris11 OFFLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,673 Thanks
  • 971 posts

Posted September 10, 2015 - 08:28 PM

It's a belt drive tractor.a stock engine would be good. You could do som ed mild mods.find out from the club or group your pulling with what there rules are. Welcome to get talk.
  • CamoWoodDuck said thank you

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,425 Thanks
  • 8,457 posts

Posted September 10, 2015 - 10:46 PM

Welcome to GTT. Most of us don't do pulling so give this threaf some time for more replies. Relax and enjoy the site. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, September 11, 2015 - 12:14 PM.

#4 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,640 Thanks
  • 4,156 posts

Posted September 10, 2015 - 11:21 PM

Welcome to GTT!

#5 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,815 Thanks
  • 3,363 posts

Posted September 11, 2015 - 03:11 AM

That particular tractor doesn't pull well unless really modified, the rear trans is OK for stock pulling with minor pulley changes to optimize speed and torque.
If you want to run in any mod classes..... You're going to have to do a pile of work, in short, if you want to be competitive you will need to graft your sheet metal on to a cub cadet drive line! As it is by far the best one to use. Good luck, we like lots of pictures, and most importantly, have fun!
  • shorty, jd.rasentrac and CamoWoodDuck have said thanks

#6 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted September 11, 2015 - 05:06 AM

The rear end is a peerless 2300 transaxle.  there strong but not cub cadet rear end strong you could probaly do enough to have fun like make a pulling hitch weight brackets etc.

#7 CamoWoodDuck OFFLINE  

CamoWoodDuck
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 11, 2015 - 09:34 AM

Been looking into a possible yanmar swap but not sure yet. Im not scared of doing a little work as thats half the enjoyment will be building her up. Did a little research and it seems that a stock modified class might fit perfectly for this. Just thought maybe someone here has built up a 200 series cuz where i live john deere is the only tractor worth owning lol
  • Chris11 said thank you

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 12,959 Thanks
  • 9,515 posts

Posted September 11, 2015 - 11:35 AM

where i live john deere is the only tractor worth owning lol

That belief will change quickly after attending a GT tractor pull.

Or if a neighbor starts mowing his grass with a Simplicity.

Or if someone with a LF Bolens HT 23 ever gets a hold of your rear hitch with his.

Or if you ever make the mistake of challenging a Gravely owner to an attachment duel. Like putting a JD snowblower up against a Gravely snow cannon.
  • olcowhand and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#9 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,640 Thanks
  • 4,156 posts

Posted September 11, 2015 - 12:55 PM

As said before, belt drive is non optimal for pulling. my son and I made our experiences in thr late 199 's w/ a MTD...

@ Cat: what's a Bolens, please?

#10 CamoWoodDuck OFFLINE  

CamoWoodDuck
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 11, 2015 - 01:21 PM

Well my grandpa collected John Deere garden tractors up until he passed away he was up to about 150 total half restored and half still waiting for love so of course I wanted to build one in memory of him.. Gonna name her 'Family Tradition' he pulled big tractors for years

#11 CamoWoodDuck OFFLINE  

CamoWoodDuck
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 11, 2015 - 01:23 PM

ill have to find it and post it but there is a picture of us mowing lawn together and he was sitting on a 214 so that was my main reason in buying one

#12 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,519 posts

Posted September 11, 2015 - 02:17 PM

Welcome to GTtalk. Basically just keep it stock and try it from there. Basically you want to get a set of rules from a local club and go from there. Everything you do is a learning experience so be advised. Also make sure to attend several pulls to see how people set their stuff up. For example. Where they have their weights mounted, what kind of tires they're using. As stated before if you want to be competitive not going to make it far with a belt drive. If your going to be serious into pulling a cub would be your best bet because of the big aftermarket community they have. Im not hating on the belt drive guys by any means trust me I was there before.  

• olcowhand, Chris11 and CamoWoodDuck have said thanks

#13 lesmeister OFFLINE  

lesmeister
  • Member No: 30635
  • 185 Thanks
  • 165 posts

Posted September 11, 2015 - 10:01 PM

Here's mine20150606_135510.jpg 20150606_135456.jpg and you can use the factory rear end.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150606_135529.jpg

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,787 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 11, 2015 - 11:38 PM

Never pulled myself. But have been to a lot of pulls and had friends who pulled.
There is a lot to learn! Most of our tracks out here are dirt and there is an art to learn just in reading a track and knowing where to run on the track to get the best traction.
You will better off running in a stock class learning and save a lot of money while learning,before trying a modified class.

#15 CamoWoodDuck OFFLINE  

CamoWoodDuck
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 03:19 PM

Never pulled myself. But have been to a lot of pulls and had friends who pulled.
There is a lot to learn! Most of our tracks out here are dirt and there is an art to learn just in reading a track and knowing where to run on the track to get the best traction.
You will better off running in a stock class learning and save a lot of money while learning,before trying a modified class.

Here's mineattachicon.gif20150606_135510.jpgattachicon.gif20150606_135456.jpg and you can use the factory rear end.

I like yours :) looks clean

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: puller, john deere