• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 443 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 07:23 PM

I got a chance to work the tractor this afternoon.  Spent an hour pushing dirt and branches worked it pretty hard.  It ran perfect for an hour.  Then it sputtered almost stopped, backfired and started to run backwards for a turn or two.  It did restart fairly easy.  (better than before I put plugs in)  Like before when I throttled up it missed wouldn't run good. then after a few seconds it straightned out and ran fine for the next ten minutes.    :help:   I'm not sure what to think as it worked so well for an hour.  Would pulsar coil act like that?

#17 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted September 21, 2015 - 08:10 PM

Read the plugs to get an indication of whats happening..  Pulser coils or coils in general either work or they don't.  The only exception is if there is oil in the coil that shorts the thing out when it gets hot.  The fact that the new plugs made it better makes me think it's spark related..

Low battery voltage?  Check the battery voltage @ the coils.  It should be over 10.5 VDC 

Check and clean all wire connections and retry with a fresh set of plugs.  If it happens again get a spark checker or pull & ground a plug and see what the spark looks like..  If it's yellow or orange the signal from the ign module is weak.  A new module will wake the thing up..  

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, September 21, 2015 - 08:14 PM.

• Alberta Bolens said thank you

#18 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 443 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 10:11 PM

The problem continues.  I ran the tractor for 10 minutes, cut loaded some fire wood.  Going back to the yard it suddenly quits.  But backfires and turns backwards a few turns. It wouldn't start.  By the time i went got another tractor to pul lit with it started and ran fine for 5 minutes.

Last night I pulled the plugs they have 1 hour use on them, both are clean although one is smidgen darker than the other.  I checked the spark visually.  Sharp snap and jumps good distance mostly Blue colour with bit yellow, both sides seem the same.  Put them back in ran it around just running it trying to get it to act up.  it was dark so I looked for jumping spark.  Dam hard to trouble shoot when it doesn't always act up.

I do have another 425 that is running great.  I think I will try exchanging one part at a time until the problem goes away and it shows up on the donor tractor.  

#19 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 06:25 AM

It might be a safety switch cutting out on you. Seat switch or similar.

#20 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 06:28 AM

Fuel quality is another variable to think of..  

Check my post on the second page HERE

#21 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 443 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 06:47 PM

It might be a safety switch cutting out on you. Seat switch or similar.

Hmm.  As sudden as it stops.  Could be onto something.  Suddenly cutting it off with full fuel these things do backfire.  That could be why its hard to start right away. Hot engine full of fuel.  After it sits 5 or 10 minutes it usually starts up.  But it does almost act flooded sometimes when trying to restart it.  

#22 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted October 24, 2015 - 05:26 AM

Mine does the same thing..  I have to open the throttle to get it to start back up when it's hot..  To rule out the seat switch, pull the plug & install a temporary jumper in the plug and carefully run the machine..  If it doesn't happen you found the culprit..  

• Alberta Bolens said thank you

#23 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 443 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 09:08 PM

It not the cut off switch.  I put a jumper in and it acted up again.  

I exchanged the left coil and wire from my other 425.  Worked well it for an hour no problem.  BUT.  Iv'e worked it before with no issue so I'm not convinced yet.  I want to run it some more before I go buy new parts.

Edited by Alberta Bolens, November 01, 2015 - 09:10 PM.

#24 truckintyler OFFLINE  

truckintyler
  • Member No: 41579
  • 89 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 12:40 PM

I had this same problem almost, time delay module. think it was 27.00 at deere.

mine would stall, backfire, die after a few minutes of running and it fixed it completely. They are known to fail.

Edited by truckintyler, November 06, 2015 - 12:41 PM.

#25 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 443 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted November 09, 2015 - 02:41 PM

Iv'e run the tractor several times now putting couple more hours on since I changed the left coil and wire.  No issues!! :dancingbanana:  So Far.  Of course it could be waiting until its -30 C when I'm pushing snow.  Then it will quit at the end of the driveway.

I havn't had chance to run the donor tractor It only has mower deck there is not much grass to cut this time of year.  If the coil was faulty it should act up now.

#26 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 443 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted November 09, 2015 - 02:42 PM

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and ideas  :wave:

#27 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 443 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 09:54 PM

So since I was last here with this problem I have put over 20 hours on the tractor.  Pushing snow, hauling firewood, moving a shed all sorts of things and worked it hard at times no issue.  Now its acting up today  It wouldn't start very well.  A few minutes later i was doing a little grading on the driveway and it stalled ran backwards a second.  Why the heck after that many hours would it act up again?  

#28 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted March 10, 2016 - 09:59 AM

Please check the shear pin for wear.