Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Looking at a 48" LF Mowing Deck: Yay or nay?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted September 10, 2015 - 02:55 PM

I came across a 1250 for sale locally that has a 48" mowing deck included. I asked the seller if he'd be interested in parting deck and he would be. I'd like to acquire a mowing deck for my 1886 and prefer to get the smaller 48" if I can.

I haven't gone to look at it yet as I have a few reservations and wanted to get your opinions first. Anyway, the seller is asking "around $200." He claims that it is complete with all of the hangers.

My reservations:

1. The seller informed me that he pulled the gearbox cover off and found it to be dry inside. He said that the blades will turn, but they are stiff. He said it will probably need new bearings inside the gear case and spindals.

2. While it is complete (per what he states), it does not include the front u-joint coupler on the driveshaft as seen in the photo. Is this a concern or something that could be found without too much trouble?

Should I pass? The west coast is not like the mid west and east coast where vintage OPE is a lot more easily found. Otherwise I'll plan on finding one from out of state and having it shipped via freight some time in the future.

Thanks!

00Z0Z_iZxB33PGq6h_600x450.jpg

Edited by Austen, September 10, 2015 - 05:46 PM.

• wilberj said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,794 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted September 10, 2015 - 04:50 PM

It is hard to say. A few years ago I bought a 54" deck in very good condition for $135. I later bought a nonrunning 1250 for $200 and it came with a plow, cultivator, deck and wheel weights. I think the price is high but, I'm in a very well populated GT environment. The Bolens Dealer was less that 5 miles away from me in the 60s to the 90s. There are still plenty of them hiding in barns, garages, and in the bushes. Good Luck, Rick

• Austen said thank you

#3 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted September 10, 2015 - 06:15 PM

I say if you can buy it for $100 or less you will be better off.  You still need the right arms and drive shaft to hook it to the tractor. 

• Austen said thank you

#4 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted September 10, 2015 - 06:58 PM

It is hard to say. A few years ago I bought a 54" deck in very good condition for $135. I later bought a nonrunning 1250 for $200 and it came with a plow, cultivator, deck and wheel weights. I think the price is high but, I'm in a very well populated GT environment. The Bolens Dealer was less that 5 miles away from me in the 60s to the 90s. There are still plenty of them hiding in barns, garages, and in the bushes. Good Luck, Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the response and input. It sounds like I should go and take a look at it in person to get a better estimate. I wish I lived in an area where this type of thing is more easily found.

I say if you can buy it for $100 or less you will be better off.  You still need the right arms and drive shaft to hook it to the tractor.

Thanks Jerome. So the existing hangers and driveshaft on this deck are not going to be compatible with a 1886 then?

Edited by Austen, September 10, 2015 - 06:59 PM.

• wilberj said thank you

#5 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted September 10, 2015 - 08:14 PM

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the response and input. It sounds like I should go and take a look at it in person to get a better estimate. I wish I lived in an area where this type of thing is more easily found.

Thanks Jerome. So the existing hangers and driveshaft on this deck are not going to be compatible with a 1886 then?

The two arms that have a small bend and a clevis on one end will need to be changed out to the 54 inch deck version.  Also the drive shaft needs to be changed to the 54 inch deck drive shaft.   

• Austen said thank you

#6 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted September 10, 2015 - 08:33 PM

The two arms that have a small bend and a clevis on one end will need to be changed out to the 54 inch deck version.  Also the drive shaft needs to be changed to the 54 inch deck drive shaft.   

Great!

This clears up a lot of questions. Thank you.

• wilberj said thank you

#7 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted September 10, 2015 - 08:34 PM

Great!

This clears up a lot of questions. Thank you.

Np anytime let me know if you need more help. 

• Austen said thank you

#8 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 07:55 PM

The two arms that have a small bend and a clevis on one end will need to be changed out to the 54 inch deck version.

Will the 54" deck arms mount right up to a 48" deck or would there be modification required in order to do so? Thank you.

#9 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 07:59 PM

Will the 54" deck arms mount right up to a 48" deck or would there be modification required in order to do so? Thank you.

I think best of my info they should work. 

• Austen said thank you