• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 09:49 PM

I went to the annual Threshermen's show at Pontiac IL this past Sunday and on the way there, I saw a Cub in someone's yard with "for Sale" sign on it, "had" to stop and check it out on the way home.

I looked at it, saw that it was mostly all there and the engine wasn't "stuck" and seemed to have compression.

When the guy told me the price I basically had to buy it... had to unload my son's stuff from my trailer to go after it, 1st. which I did Monday.  I wasn't looking to buy a tractor this weekend but I couldnt pass it up.

It took alot of work to "get ready" to go pick up my new machine (story later) as I didn't put a winch on my trailer, just to have to go borrow someone else's trailer (which lacks any sort of "load assistance device") to go get my stuff...... OK, my trailer's empty, so now I can go retrieve my new machine.

I make mention here of issues I see with it so far, much as "mental notes to self"... most I think I can handle, a few I may need to ask about.

--Serial number 559888 puts it at July 76... the month I turned 9 years old myself.

--has 50" deck that so far looks awesome, but have not seen the underside yet.

--Side covers gone, decals faded and paint too, but paint is quite intact. I could have sworn those covers were there when I 1st saw it on the way to the tractor show, as I was able to tell as soon as I saw it as I passed by, that it was a "quietline"

--Has Walbro carb that is plugged up solid. (didnt think they used Walbro on Kohler that far back?) carb says "52" in throat behind choke. I think I have Carter.Kohler #26 around here in case the varnish won't seperate itself from the Walbro.  (the current carb needs bushed throttle shaft anyway)

-Starts on ether, sounds strong, won't take gas thru needle and seat. had bowl off, needle was kind of "glued to" seat by varnish, had to pry it loose (still plugged) had to file points is all, to get spark.

-- ignition switch works on/off but not to crank over, screwdriver across solenoid for that to happen;

this unit has headlights, could not get them to work via provided switch either. (lots of spiderwebs and corrosion among wiring terminals that are able to be seen so far)

--brake pedal was held down with "park lock", I released that and brake pedal flops with no resistance

--hole in tunnel cover where hydro release "should" poke thru;

-- steering, it seems to steer ok, not much slop noted so far but steering shaft sloppy loose in top of steering tube// is there a bearing/bushing supposed to be in there?

(this I might need some help with)

--found the " 12HP Kohler cast Iron Line" foil sticker on top of cyl head air baffle but could not find Model; or Spec numbers on it anywhere. I remember where I found the numbers on a friend's 1250 that I worked on a few years ago, nothing in that location on this unit.  

--has hydraulic lift

--found (and went/put deposit on) a QA 42A snowblower yesterday via Craigslist, gotta go back when I have my pickup and not my Durango LOL.... came off a Cub 1100 (seller had tractor still, he uses that alll the time, 1st 1100 I think I have ever seen; see alot of differences between it and the 1200/1250's

supposed to be all there except the "lift link" and the "standoff" that holds the chute crank rod.

paid more than double for the blower what I did for the tractor but was still cheap vs what I see others of these blowers going for

how good do these single stage snow blowers work? I'm used to 2 stage self propelled walk behind snow blowers, how would the 1250 and single stage blower do as compared to say, a larger Toro or Ariens 2 stage walk behind?  (my snow machine of choice these last 6-7 years has been a Deere 828D)

OK; now my Ariens GT19 has some "competition" in the barn; I have been looking all over the place for parts and attachments for that unit, and anything I can find for that tractor is priced at its weight in gold/ Cub stuff seems more plentiful and more affordable, more to pick thru (and pass over the high priced stuff, while still leaving plenty left to pick from) Now that I also have a Cub, my luck says that prices will skyrocket and the supply will "dry up" just as I get to the point of needing what ever I may be after at the moment,

hopefully that means that Ariens stuff will start coming out of the woodwork and be finally available???

I got rid of an S16 some years back partly for that reason; I do not want to do that with my GT,

• Alc, KennyP and Traill95 have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 11:57 PM

Sounds like a project. I seem to see the Ariens stuff around here because there was a big Ariens Dealer in Worcester, MA(an hour away). Post some pics. Good Luck, Rick

• dodge trucker said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted September 10, 2015 - 05:38 AM

Sounds like a good score on the 1250! Hope you can find the side covers reasonably!

#4 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 10, 2015 - 05:56 AM

At this point, I am more worried about that steering shaft that slops side to side (has nothing to do with play in tie rods or other linkage) within the tube than I am about side covers.... as far as "project" at this point,  it actually looks like less of one than some tractors I have brought home before.  

I have a fresh M12 Magnum here that I had asked about in another post (that was after buying but before I got this tractor home) with the regular Kohler wide base that I have totally gone thru (bored, cut crank, new valves and exh guide that has yet to be fired for the 1st time)  , had asked about it fiting into this unit because of the wide base, and was told "not"/ now I see why. That was just in case this motor wound up DOA,  it was  but so far I did see that it will run with a tuneup and carb work.... so replacement motor not needed, yet anyway.

Did all 1250s have the same type and spec number engine in them?  I can't find that info on this motor anywhere.

• KennyP said thank you

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted September 10, 2015 - 06:17 AM

Go here. There is a bearing at the top of the column.

#6 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 11, 2015 - 09:12 PM

as I (thought that I) mentioned in the OP, I did pick up a QA42A snowblower a couple days ago. (put $20 on it for the guy to kill his CL ad til I could get back over there to pick it up)

supposed to be all there except for the lift lever/link;   it did have the crank rod with it for the chute, but I saw no bracket to hold the rod to but away from the mower frame. 

Will 12HP be enough to power 42" of blower or should I have waited for a 36" (QA36?) 

I am a bit concerned as to how good this blower will actually work being only single stage. I know they made a 2 stage for some GTs....

My 1250 has the hydro lift. would that make a difference as to what rods and such I'd need to raise and lower the blower?

I need to start hunting this linkage down.

is there a difference between a QA 42 and a QA 42A, or were they all QA 42A's?

I hope to get this thing going so I can use it this winter including a 2nd set of tires and wheels so I can fill one set with windshield solvent for weight;  gotta tune to the motor so I can determine that it is a good motor before I get too deep into it..

#7 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 11:17 AM

as I (thought that I) mentioned in the OP, I did pick up a QA42A snowblower a couple days ago. (put $20 on it for the guy to kill his CL ad til I could get back over there to pick it up)

supposed to be all there except for the lift lever/link;   it did have the crank rod with it for the chute, but I saw no bracket to hold the rod to but away from the mower frame. 

Will 12HP be enough to power 42" of blower or should I have waited for a 36" (QA36?) 

I am a bit concerned as to how good this blower will actually work being only single stage. I know they made a 2 stage for some GTs....

My 1250 has the hydro lift. would that make a difference as to what rods and such I'd need to raise and lower the blower?

I need to start hunting this linkage down.

is there a difference between a QA 42 and a QA 42A, or were they all QA 42A's?

I hope to get this thing going so I can use it this winter including a 2nd set of tires and wheels so I can fill one set with windshield solvent for weight;  gotta tune to the motor so I can determine that it is a good motor before I get too deep into it..

12hp should run that snowblower without a problem.  They are a pretty good working blower and do a nice job.  

The lift rod should hook onto the cast lift piece on the side by your right foot.  A picture of what you have will greatly help in determining what you yet need to acquire in order to hook it up.

Difference between a QA42 and a QA42A?  Yes there is.  The A at the end means adjustable as it was made to fit either a narrow frame or a wide frame.  Also the QA42A had a parallel lift setup on them whereas the QA42 just pivoted on the tractor side of the blower mount.  They also made both in 36 inch which were QA36 and QA36A respectively.  I have a QA36 on my 107 and in fact it's my avatar picture.

#8 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 504 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 12:53 PM

One other thing to add on the differences in the blowers.  I know most of the QA42s I've worked on only had  2 paddles in the middle of the auger and the QA42A had 4 paddles which seems to make it throw snow a little better.          Stewart

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 03:57 PM

I got while the getting was good, the 1st snowblower that fig my machine and hat came up and didn't cost its weight in gold. Should I have held out for a 36 instead considering that I only have 12hp?

#10 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 05:10 PM

David Kirk of Kirk Engines started his business after his experiences hot roding a CC 1250. He records his experiences here.

http://www.kirkengin...php#CompanyNews  Read Killer Kohler Parts I & II

#11 Brucepts OFFLINE  

Brucepts
  • Member No: 49949
  • 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 07:42 PM

I have a 1250 with a 36" thrower, ran it for the first time this past year and had zero issues! I was running a Bolens 1556 with a 16hp Tecumseh and it would always clog or stall out the engine. Swapping over to the 1250 with the Kohler and I think I might have had one time I stalled the engine? It was a dream running it and not having issues like I did with the Bolens!

I'm going up to a 42" this year if I get the one I bought refurbished or at least usable, I can't see that 6" more of auger will drag the engine down? I found the 36" when I needed it but would have just bought a 42" if I could have found one at the time. I also added 10.50 tires on the rear and have chains or bar threads as needed now for this Winter.

I'm also adding on hydraulic lift, swapping in a complete setup I purchased from a 1450 that was parted out. Not only will it make it easier to lift attachments it will also make it easier to operate all the controls, backing up and lifting attachments while trying to steer was interesting! I miss my foot pdeal hydro on the Bolens for that reason only. Probably in hind-sight I should have just bought a 1450 but I only gave $150 for the 1250 and it was in nice shape so spending some money to upgrade to what I needed to replace the Bolens was not an issue. Sold my Bolens for about what I put into the 1250 so I'm happy!

#12 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 08:12 PM

I just unloaded this machine from my trailer. before doing so I looked underneath a bit  as it was on its wheels on the trailer deck but still off the ground. made it a bit easier.  Ever since I 1st looked at it in the PO's yard, the brake pedal was "on the floor", there he had the park lock on it. I released that, and the pedal stayed "on the floor"; would not spring back up, just flops around. tractor rolls freely, don't seem like brakes work, I can see the little rotors and calipers on the back wheels.  I had my wife love the pedal by hand up n down expecting to see something seized, while I was under it, or maybe a part of a busted  return spring. Of all the tractors I have had over the years,  seems like all of them besides my Ariens GT and my Woods Mow'n machine (ZTR)  have been gear transmissions.

So is the pedal on this 1250, floppy and staying down because there's no pressure built up in the transmission?  I'm not laying under it at the moment but I thought there was a part of the brake linkage that passes thru the trans case. 

also there's a Q in the bolens forum about what hydro filter for a 1250/  I saw it in "latest posts" and thought it was an IH 1250. so now that we are "here", what filter works on this hydro?  Looking for hopefully an aftermarket brand like Fram, Wix, Purolator etc...

#13 Brucepts OFFLINE  

Brucepts
  • Member No: 49949
  • 177 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted September 14, 2015 - 08:50 PM

Pull the top cover on the frame between the console and fenders and you can see all the linkage to see what is or is not going on.

#14 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 05:49 AM

Pull the top cover on the frame between the console and fenders and you can see all the linkage to see what is or is not going on.

I thought I could see it all when looking from underneath; all linkage seems free,  I am hoping that once the motor runs and I get pressure in the hydro again that the pedal will come back to life.

#15 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted September 15, 2015 - 08:28 PM

If the pedal just flops around I would say the return spring is broken.  Besides actuating the brakes the only other thing the pedal does is return the hydro lever to neutral.  If the brakes don't hold they can be adjusted once the rotors and pads are cleaned up.  Personally I am not a big fan of the external disk brakes.  With a good functioning hydro they are really not needed though.