Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

A good printer recommendation

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 07:59 PM

For 10 years now I have run two printers in my office.  One for letter size documents and one for larger format 11 x 17 drawings.  This has worked well over the years because, by chance, both of these printers take the exact same ink cartridges.  Looking at the age of these printers (the small one is closer to 18 years old I would guess) I'm thinking of replacing both with one new one but I'm having problems finding just what I need.  Here is my criteria.

Must do color.  Many of the documents I work with have color and need to be printed that way.

Must have two paper trays of which one must be able to hold 11 x 17 paper.  This is a biggie because I do A LOT of 11 x 17 printing and I don't have the time to be manually feeding the paper.

Must be able to scan so an all-in-one is obviously what I'm looking for.

Of all this, the separate tray for 11 x 17 is the big one.  You wouldn't believe how many prints I run.  I've been known to run several hundred a day.  Right now I am looking at a Brother MFC-J5920DW and it looks like it meets my criteria.  What concerns me is, I was just at OfficeMax (they are supposed to carry this model) today but the sales guy never showed me this one so I wonder if it really will do what I think it will. 

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,562 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 08:04 PM

Check out ink prices, you will pay an arm and leg if you print a lot with a Brother. From my experience.....
  • David Brown said thank you

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 08:30 PM

Check out ink prices, you will pay an arm and leg if you print a lot with a Brother. From my experience.....

I've heard that so I went to my source. I buy my ink on eBay. It's just the best way I've found to buy in bulk. You just have to be careful. I looked up the ink for the printers they use in the main office and it seems to be a lot cheaper. I need to look it up for this printer I'm considering.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,299 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 09:11 PM

I would heavily consider color laser over ink.
The short savings now will go away quickly and you should be better off in the long run.
We run Brother printers at work for our point of sale system and while they are decent consumer units, they are "ok" as far as I'm concerned anymore. The new models seem to be 5 year disposables with a much lower print per day than you are talking about.

One of the best all in ones I've ever seen was Moms cannon printer. It is only B&W but it printed the tractor club's newsletter for many years as well as personal use duplication of manuals, etc. also a decent scanner.

My $0.02

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,301 Thanks
  • 2,335 posts

Posted September 10, 2015 - 01:51 AM

I've been using a Brother all in 1 printer for over 10 years.I'll never buy another Cannon or HP or Dell or Compaq or Lexmark or Kodak printer.

Some Epson printers are decent.

I like my old Brother MFC-240c I bought it refurbished on Newegg for around $75.

My printer is a little slower than the newer Brother printers but it works really good and Ink is SUPER cheap.Ebay is your friend when your printer doesn't care if you run cheap ink through it.Check it out.This is Ink for my printer.http://www.ebay.com/...=item2c6e3ffde2

That reminds me I gota get ink.I'm low on Magenta and Cyan.Was printing out Birthday cards for my brothers girls when i heard the low ink beep.

Only thing I don't like about mine is that you Must have ink in all 4 cartridges for it to print a black and white document.  Oh the OEM Brother cartridges do not hold as much ink as the cheap Ebay ones and they want between $15-$20 a set.

Edited by EricFromPa, September 10, 2015 - 01:59 AM.

• MH81, shorty and David Brown have said thanks

#6 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,316 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted September 10, 2015 - 03:24 AM

I bought a refurbished Brother from this company and am happy as a clam!  Under $300 shipped is a great price!!

http://www.rakuten.c...ished&suggest=1

#7 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 10, 2015 - 06:19 AM

Only thing I don't like about mine is that you Must have ink in all 4 cartridges for it to print a black and white document.  Oh the OEM Brother cartridges do not hold as much ink as the cheap Ebay ones and they want between $15-$20 a set.

I've been reading reviews on the Brother printers and it seems as though they made it so that you can only use OEM cartridges.  No more cheapies.  Since I am in no real hurry, I better do some more research.

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,562 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted September 10, 2015 - 01:21 PM

I had been getting the OEM cartritges, runs me close to $100. Totally irritates me every time.

#9 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 10, 2015 - 01:48 PM

I spoke with my co-workers at the main office today and found that they use Brother printers, in particular, the very one I am considering, the MFC-J6920DW.  I've read good reviews, I've read terrible reviews.  The one thing you can't tell from reading reviews is the kind of use the printer actually sees.  Now I have a clearer picture.  Several people map to this printer and they make a lot of prints.  Prints are crisp and clear and they rarely have to change the ink cartridges.  They are using the XXL cartridges which give you many more prints than the standard cartridges but we're talking a few months at a time without changing them.  It has two paper trays so I could load both sizes that I use and be done with it.  They even said they've not had a jam.  Sounds like a winner to me.

• shorty said thank you