• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fritter1979 OFFLINE  

fritter1979
  • Member No: 69822
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 06:05 PM

I have a 16 hp briggs and stratton vanguard horizontal engine that I'm wantin to mount on an older wheel horse to make a puller. The motor is off an old 4inch water pump and the shaft doesn't have a key way and the end of the shaft is threaded. How might I go about finding a pulley to mount on the shaft and how can I make it lock it down

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 06:22 PM

Personally, I would take the engine to a machine shop and ask them to make an adapter that screws on over the threads.

• Auburn David said thank you

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 07:09 PM

That Briggs engine is probably the same engine that is in the G16XT Bolens tractors.  They have an adapter that slide over the shaft and bolts to the flywheel in two places to drive the output shaft.  It might be easier and cheaper to go that route rather than having a key way cut in the shaft.  Can't do that in the motor.  Have to remove the crank it would think.

• propane1 said thank you

#4 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 07:56 PM

I have pulled the crankshaft of engines before and run them to the machine shop, had them cut down the PTO end to whatever diameter I need, keyways cut in as needed, and reassembled. A little work for sure, but not usually much expense and you get what you need....

I am looking into doing just that on an Onan that was promised to me that has a 1-7/16 diameter shaft to replace an engine on a machine that takes an engine with an 1-1/4" diam.

#5 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 08:33 PM

Make sure crank rotation right. Vangard CCW lot older motors CW

#6 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted September 11, 2015 - 07:44 AM

Pull the crank and take it to a machine shop (if you can find one anymore!!!). They can turn it as previously stated.

Alternately, but more expensive, you can get a new/used crank that fits that engine with the end you want. There were 10-15 different cranks for that motor, all based on diameter, taper, threading, keyway, etc.

IIR, the 16 vanguard had two different crank styles, based on bearing surface for one side of the case - one is bigger than the other. They changed at a certain engine build date/number, but I don't remember the details off top of my head. Otherwise, most cranks are interchangeable for the 14 and 16 hp vanguard twins...