got some color!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 stubbysteve OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3443
  • 54 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 05:31 PM

Ok got some color for my 56 David Bradley. It is a dark bronze metalic. On the paint can it says 8:1/2:4. I know its 8 parts paint half part activator and 4 parts reducer. My problem is im stupid when it comes to the paint mixer cup. The mixing cup I have has the 8:1:1 marks on the cup. My question is each numbered mark in that scale 8 even parts then 1 equal part then another equal part? Not trying to sound stupid but want to do this right.

#2 petrj6 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,728 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 07:31 PM

Yep you have it right, the cup is marked to make it easy, it is all figured out.  8 parts paint them 1 part of whatever for thinner and 1 part hardener.  you should be in business.

#3 Jazz OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62028
  • 1,355 Thanks
  • 890 posts

Posted September 11, 2015 - 07:54 AM

There should be a oz scale on the side of cup if you're confused. 8 oz paint, 4 oz reducer, 1/2 oz catalyst.  Measure carefully as you don't want it too thin. After stirring check viscosity, to do this stir with stick, remove stick and watch paint run off while counting.. A count of 5 before the drips start is a good viscosity for the first coat. For a final coat I would thin just a bit to a 4 drip consistency for a final wet coat which would give the paint immense shine. Wait 20 minutes between coats for paint to flash over. JMHO...good luck

Pour paint through filter into paint cup! 

I'll add to this...read the product information..some of these low VOC paints require 30 to 60 minutes flashover time..so what used to be one beer between coats is now....more

Edited by Jazz, September 11, 2015 - 06:50 PM.

• KennyP, stubbysteve and Tbrooks have said thanks