Garden Tractor Forums banner

Long time no see.....CC1535 question

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  JohnDeere214 
#1 ·
Hey all, been a long while since i been on here. Been busy with work, family stuff and kinda lost interest in the tractor stuff.....GASP!!!!

Got a friend with a 1535 with a bad starter(Kohler magnum 15). Started is located below the frame rails so I know i gotta lift motor up to get to the starter, so my question is will I need to remove battery box and unhook driveshaft from the engine to raise it up far enough or is there enough wiggle room to just unbolt engine and raise enough to get to the starter??

Many thanks for any and all advice!!!

JD214

PS despite my username I still have the 1861 so I do have some cub yellow in the family LOL

#4 ·
Sorry for the delay for the update but this is an ongoing project due to work schedules.

Got a new starter and got it installed and all the tin back on the engine then tried to line up mounting bracket to frame. It was about 1/2" off and would not slide back any further. Crawled under tractor and finally noticed what looks like a brass bushing near the adapter plate for driveshaft. It looked to be in a bind. Rotated engine to move bushing and raised front of engine and moved it around and bushing popped back in(Thank you Lord!!) and engine slid right into place. Got 2 bolts in mounting bracket and hooked up battery and nothing. Put in 1/2 quart of oil and then tried again and solenoid would click but no juice thru it to starter.

Then saturday got a new solenoid and installed and she turned over!!! Unhooked the electric fuel pump someone had installed(that situation is what started this whole saga fuel pump hydo-locked engine and he burnt out solenoid and starter) and ran fuel line to pump on engine and got it running. But need new gaskets on carb due to the electric fuel pump messed them up when in hyro-locked. Also have a fuel leak at or near the gas tank.

Anyway the saga continues hopefully no more surprises..........

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Okayyyyy here we go again LOL. Pulled carb and got it soaking in carb cleaner. Then started on the gas lines, pulled rear fender pan and pulled old gas line loose. Pulled tank and I'm guessing the gas line had never been changed since new(1991-1992). All the gas lines were rotted, especially at the "T" where the fuel lines join from the 2 cutoff valves. Replaced gas lines and got tank back on.

Then rebuilt carb and got it mounted and gas line hooked up(after getting air cleaner installed then remember gas line to carb DOH!!). Put gas in the tank and got it fired up and carb adjusted, not perfect but it's running a lot better than when he got the tractor. Gonna let him run it several times this week then change oil and filter again to make sure all gas is out of crankcase. Then hopefully get fender pan and deck back on.

JD214

BTW, whats odd about this situation is last Saturday was gonna mow with my 1861. Got it started and went to mow and it died. got it refired and the died again. third time and it would not fire. Let it set a day or 2 and tried again and it was hydro-locked!!! Dirt in carb so I get to do another carb rebuild this week LOL

#9 ·
Hopefully this is the last update on this project........hope nothing else goes wrong!!! LOL

For those that requested pics here ya go....first is the id tag on the mower

Picture%20007_zpsbgzsllzt.jpg

And the tractor stripped down waiting on last oil change to get rid of all the gas in the oil pan

Picture%20008_zpsnk8tl3a1.jpg

Then with rear fender and seat installed

Picture%20006_zps1ymroegh.jpg

then with footrests and deck installed

Picture%20005_zpsugfqnaje.jpg

And finally fully assembled and ready to rumble!!!

Picture%20001_zpsygj68rdc.jpg

Thanks for the advice and support guys!! now when the weather clears i gotta finish up my 1861 carb.............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.