I'm stupid, stupid, stupid.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 johndeere318 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 75091
  • 8 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 12:05 AM

John Deere 318 ran way low on oil, notice it was having problem running.  Looked down saw oil light and turn it off as it sounded like it was about to blow.  Check stick, sure enough, hardly any oil.  Crap.  Thought for sure it was a goner. Light grey smoke coming out of dip stick hole when I opened it. Went and got more oil, let cool, and prayed for it to start.  Couldn't believe it did.  Drove back to the garage from a ways out (I have 10 acres and was mowing a trail).  Have started it up a few times to let it run.  Its loud, always has been.  Don't think I hear anything out of the ordinary.  This John Deere 318 had been redone and looks brand new.  I will be mad forever if its ruined.   Going to mow the last little bit tomorrow and see how it runs.  Than will change the oil in it and filter.

Anyways, am I screwed here.  Or did I get lucky.  I know I took many hours of the motor.  But it didn't lock up, can't seem to find any leaks.  Surprised it was down that low to begin with.  Don't here any knocking.  Crossing my finger here that it runs tomorrow with no problem, and in the future.  I have hills and wear ear protection, afraid it was starving of oil well before I shut it off.  And when I did, It acted like it was getting close to blowing up. I know, I'm an idiot for not checking oil in the last month.

• hamman, Traill95, oldedeeres and 4 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,689 Thanks
  • 39,064 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 03:55 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum!

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,894 Thanks
  • 3,122 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 04:37 AM

Check every time you use it. That's the only way to be sure it's full. Happened to me too, but mine blew up. Hopefully its ok. I would change the oil before you restart it to mow again. Noel.
  • boyscout862 and freedhardwoods have said thanks

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,722 Thanks
  • 28,356 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 04:38 AM

Welcome to GTTalk.
Most of us have run an engine low at some point or another. The oil light being on is a bad sign in that there wasn't any pressure lube happening. The big hope would be that you were getting a little splash lube yet, but you're right, many hours off the engine.
If the connecting rod breaks, it could trash the engine. Might be prudent to do a tear down and check the crank/replace the rod.
At least be vigilant on noises, but that might be to late.

As for your plan, I would change oil now AND later. I'm sure there are more particulates than normal and it would be good to clean them out.

Edit: where is the oil going? If it was redone, was the motor overhauled? Using or leaking?
  • boyscout862, oldedeeres and freedhardwoods have said thanks

#5 Alc ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,293 Thanks
  • 6,498 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 05:12 AM

Welcome to GTTalk !  Hope everything is OK for you

#6 toppop52 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54420
  • 3,238 Thanks
  • 3,228 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 06:30 AM

If it restarted normally and no strange noises, you won the lottery.

#7 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,523 Thanks
  • 7,383 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 06:45 AM

Welcome to GTT. Change the oil immediately. Run it a little bit and change it again. You have got to flush out any of the particles that may have built up in the oil. When I rebuild an engine, I run it for no more than 1/2 hour and change the oil. That break in oil is full of metal particles from the new machined surfaces. It can cause extra wear on the engine. It is the same with an engine that was run low on oil. You probably got alot of extra wear on the engine. Leaving the old oil with all of those extra particles will be hard on the engine. Drain it without staring it to get rid of the worst of the particles. Fill with new oil. Run it for a short time and do another oil change. You will find that oil changes are cheap compared to the benefits for the engine. After it has run awhile, I would lean towards trying something like Slick 50 in the oil to help prolong the engines' life. Let us know how you make out. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, September 09, 2015 - 06:47 AM.

• Username, oldedeeres, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#8 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,782 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 07:45 AM

Like several others have said.  Drain it now.  But I would pour some diesel fuel down the fill tube with the oil drain open to wash flush out anything in the bottom that don't come with the oil.  Many years ago we saved a 6 cyl. Chevy that some kids put sand in the oil fill on by younger brothers car.  Fortunately he saw the hood was not latched when he went to get it  and didn't start it.  We pushed it in on a hoist and drained the oil and ran about 5 gallons of diesel fuel through.  Ran it for a 30 seconds with diesel fuel a couple times.  Then did the oil run and change a couple times and it was good to go.   Good luck with you Deer.

• wvbuzzmaster, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 3 others have said thanks

#9 crittersf1 ONLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,120 Thanks
  • 5,673 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 08:27 AM

:welcometogttalk: :wewantpics: You may have dodged the bullet

#10 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

• Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 08:35 AM

I'm stupid, stupid, stupid.

Nope. You'll feel smart after you hear my stories.  :welcometogttalk:

Lots of good answers. Not a big fan of Slick 50. I've had several impressive results in engines, gearboxes, hubs, etc with Lucas products. Lots more later.

Edited by freedhardwoods, September 09, 2015 - 08:37 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#11 johndeere318 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 75091
  • 8 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 08:46 AM

I'll change it first.  Lot of new oil in it since the old was gone :shoot2:   

• MH81 said thank you

#12 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,655 Thanks
  • 8,527 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 08:49 AM

Welcome to GTT.   I have the same question as MH81, where did the oil go?  Either you have a leak or it burned out. In either case you need to investigate because if it burned out you may have more problems then you realize.  I also agree to change the oil immediately.

• MH81, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#13 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14008
  • 5,551 Thanks
  • 3,082 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 09:01 AM

Welcome aboard. Good advice and lots of "yeah, been there, done that" experience as well. Just keep on flushing that puppy and take care. As they say, an oil change is the best thing you can do for your motor. And where/why did it go?
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#14 larrybl ONLINE  

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,795 Thanks
  • 3,250 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 10:37 AM

As a reminder, please check the oil before using. I mow 3 acres with a 25 year old Craftsman, and about 1/2 way I'll take a break, and before resuming I'll check the oil again. Only takes 5 seconds and usually it is still full, but dosn't hurt to check often.

• HDWildBill, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#15 propane1 ONLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,894 Thanks
  • 3,122 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 10:37 AM

So, you have not check the oil in a month, you have 10 acres, you have hills and a trail you cut. That engine would be under load for most of your cutting. This is where your oil is going, all engines use oil under load, that is normal. You won't see it out the exhaust, but it is useing it. Noel

Edited by propane1, September 09, 2015 - 10:39 AM.

• HDWildBill, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks