Worst Garden Ever This Year

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

• Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 11:55 PM

Our melons came on slow, ended up with 6 grown but man, they have never been this sweet!  Cukes went nuts, gave away bucket loads of them, pickles lots.  Sweet corn, never came round very good, what we had was bland.  Beets went crazy, brussel sprouts did great, carrots, ehh, still to small to pull.  Lettuce did good then bolted overnight, chickens benefited from them.  Taters were very disappointing.    Fenced off half the garden and planted buckwheat.  When it got to bout 3 foot tall, I turned the chickens in that part.  They love it, have almost all of it knocked down now.  I might do that one more year then plant that part of the garden, I have high hopes for the dug/fertilized patch.  This was new turned ground, was an open field so this should help put nutrients into the soil.

My apple trees did good, up until the bees moved in.  I swear, even after spraying the trees that within 3 days every apple on the place was destroyed.  I have never seen this before.  The tree is full of wasps, and those ground dwelling bees/hornets.  Darn things.  No hard cider this year.

• Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#17 Buck Tales OFFLINE  

Buck Tales
  • Member No: 73140
  • 150 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted September 10, 2015 - 09:30 PM

I was more of the problem this year with little time for the garden. I did manage to hold off the weeds enough to get lots of tomatos and cucumbers, and the pepers were not so bad either. The rabbits and deer got the rest of the garden due to not getting the hot wire up this year. I did get some chicken maneur for the garden and turned it in on part of the garden. I'm getting another load this week and i"ll turn that in also which should help next year bring out some nice plants. New Jersey has been so dry this last month or so I'm almost glad because I can still see the garden without weeds over my head. LOL! Heres a pic from year before last of what my garden is supposed to look like. LOL

Attached Thumbnails

• GARDEN 2013 01.jpg

• Alc, Bmerf, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#18 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14008
  • 5,522 Thanks
  • 3,067 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 12:05 AM

That's a nice garden---- I like things neat and orderly. Dandy solid looking trellis too.

#19 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,757 Thanks
  • 4,264 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 04:28 PM

Third time spraying Round-up today.  Have a lot of soft ball size muskmelon but are green.  The couple we did get were real watery and not very sweet.  cucumbers went wild and we planted way to many .  Had 3 hills in anticipation on Carolyn's son and family moving to this area.  That didn't happen so have a ton of cucs on the ground and the vines are pulled.  Have a lot of tomatoes and are real nice size and bright red, but so full of water you have to slice what you want to eat for that meal then something else with what is left.  Cook is down so not making anything with them this year.  Have plenty of stuff from last year anyway.  Pumpkins - nothing.  Onions were small.  Radish were great and had bunches of them early.  Same with the lettuce.  Decided to check one hil of the sweet potatoes to see what they were doing.  Found the end hill, planted in a high ridge, cut the vines and pulled them away and dug under the hill with the potato fork to loosen things up a bit .  Pulled the stalk straight up and out came a bunch of potatoes.  Several were split already so time to get the shut off.  Will go down the row and cut the vines from main plant and drag them out of the way.  Spray the foxtail then in a week or so will go down the row with the Gardener with the middle buster on and roll out the potatoes.  Will let them dry in the garden a couple days, then bag them up in burlap bags.  I don't clean the dirt off till we are ready to use them.  If all 50 plants produce like the end plant - going to have a BUNCH of sweet potatoes.

Swt Taters-1.JPG       Swt Taters-2.JPG