18 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 07:45 PM

We had so much rain all through the spring and summer our garden did nothing.  3 planting of pumpkins and got one on now about softball size.  Cucumbers were real late and watery and soft.  Had 3 hills of muskmelon and got 2 melons from them we could use and a few smaller green ones on now.  The ones we got were real watery and soft.  Onions were small and starting to rot from the top down so pulled them early and saved what we could.  Green beans did OK and just pick the last of them a couple days ago.  Tomatoes are going wild now but real late and now can't do anything with them.  The main cook goes in for a total hip replacement in the morning so the tomatoes will go by the way side.  She will be laid up for a few weeks and they will be done by then.  Pulled all the vines and all that is left is the sweet potatoes and tomato plants.  Haven't checked the sweet potatoes yet so don't have any idea what they look like.  I have put on about 3 gallons of round up spray to keep the foxtail and weeds under control.  So much rain we could not get in to keep the garden clean.  Going to burn it all down and let it lay.  Will spread a load of goat manure on it later this fall and plow that under.  Next spring will let the weeds come up and when they are about 3" tall will do a burn down with Round-up on the whole thing, then get after it with the tiller as we need planting space.

Next year has got to be better.

• Bolens 1000, daytime dave, Gtractor and 5 others have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 07:53 PM

I feel your pain, garden was a bust here as well, seems like mine gets worse each year!!!

• Alc, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 07:55 PM

Sorry to hear it was such a bad year for you . Ours wasn't too bad but right now its very dry
  • daytime dave, boyscout862 and HANKG have said thanks

#4 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,891 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 09:23 PM

I got some of a harvest this year but it been so dry. We had lots of rain in may then nothing.

#5 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,911 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 09:35 PM

Tomatoes seemed to get some sort of blight rotting with some sort of spot on them before being picked yet ripe. Cukes forget watermelon forget, Jersey corn did alright string beans would have done alright but rabbits got them oh well next year.

#6 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 11:08 PM

So far, my garden is ok.  I'm sorry to hear yours is so bad.  I hope the "cook" comes through well.  Wish her well for me.

My sauce tomatoes are just coming on.  I made a good batch at camp.

The squash didn't do much and the cukes got too cold too early.  Otherwise, the peppers did better than ever, the tomatoes are on target and the celery, a first, looks good.

• Alc, oldedeeres and chieffan have said thanks

#7 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted September 08, 2015 - 04:02 AM

My folks garden didn't produce much of anything this year. Usually they have a really nice, productive garden. Rain, too much or too little. This year, TOO much!

• Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#8 greenb69 ONLINE  

greenb69
  • Member No: 65681
  • 268 Thanks
  • 210 posts

Posted September 08, 2015 - 04:31 AM

My garden had same problem. To much rain early then weeds took over. Have a real problem with purple loosestrife and not sure what to do with it.
  • Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#9 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted September 08, 2015 - 07:01 AM

Yup here in Northern Michigan also. My zucchinis started and then died? No pumpkins and the corn only grew about to where the ears were starting and then just quit. Can't get the tomatoes to ripen on the vine. The start to get red and then fall off the plant. Maybe a blight but maybe not enough nutrients. This fall just before freeze up we are going to hit the garden hard with well composted cow manure and lime. That will be tilled in and then we will add another layer of manure and then early in the spring till it in and them more lime. Then just before planting time we will put roundup on it and kill all the young weeds and then till again and we will see what happens.  Going to have to buy tomatoes and corn to can this year.                                                                                                    Roger

• oldedeeres said thank you

#10 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted September 08, 2015 - 07:07 AM

We had one of the best years in nj. Yeah we had to water but. The biggest issue was the darn rabbits. We got great river soil

Edited by jabelman, September 08, 2015 - 07:07 AM.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#11 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted September 08, 2015 - 07:30 AM

Ours was up and down. Beans kicked butt, mom canned around 30 quarts of those.  We've never grown cucumbers like this year, mom canned closed to 30 pints of pickles.

Zucchini did well in the beginning then plants started to melt. Funny though, we have a late bloomer, one plant got a second wind and is producing again and the plant looks good, not wilted. Tomatoes grew huge plants, but fruit was late. The first ones rotted on vines, we are now getting ripe one. The spaghetti squash and butternut took over the garden, plants everywhere, but we only got 4-5 veggies off of all of them, not sure what happened there. Still waiting on sweet potatoes, vines are still growing.

• Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 08, 2015 - 08:06 AM

Due to my neck surgery, we decided to forego a garden this year.  Turned out a blessing we didn't as most gardens around here sank in the mud also.

• Alc and propane1 have said thanks

#13 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,115 Thanks
  • 3,206 posts

Posted September 08, 2015 - 10:51 AM

I only grow potatoes. Not to bad of crop so far, still have some to dig. But overall, not as good of crop as last year. I never add any thing to the ground, I may try some fertilizer next spring. Noel.

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 08, 2015 - 03:06 PM

Mine was so-so. Potatoes and onions did good. Tomatoes came on late, but we are getting some good ones now.
Deer ate all the green beans, but must have found better feed, because they are putting on nicely now.
Tomatillos(first year for them) are doing good.
Muskmelon were disapointing, water melon are good.
Looks like the best squash is going to be the pie pumpkins.

#15 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,061 Thanks
  • 787 posts

Posted September 08, 2015 - 06:17 PM

Nice year for a garden here in the northeast. I have never seen a wild apple crop as I have this year in all the way side trees. So the bears are content.