LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,626 Thanks
  • 7,669 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 05:25 PM

Does Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas act as a preservative like Stabil?

#2 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 06:02 PM

They don't claim that it does on the current website but I'd swear they used to? On one of the FAQs someone asks if it can be used as a fuel stabilizer and they say yes but reading the exact wording they don't say it will work, only that you can use it that way ;-)
In their forum someone linked to an older post where an MMO engineer specifically says they hadn't designed or tested it to be a stabilizer and to keep using whatever product you were using but added that using both would be cheap insurance... (and pad his paycheck)
  • LilysDad said thank you

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 06:53 PM

Sta-bail is the proven fuel stabilizer and I would stay with it and forget about anything else.

#4 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • Member No: 73578
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 07:18 PM

Sta-bail is the proven fuel stabilizer and I would stay with it and forget about anything else.

I use sta-bil every year, spring and fall. never failed me yet over the last 20 years. Never heard of using MMO as a stabilizer.

#5 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,626 Thanks
  • 7,669 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 07:21 PM

Seafoam claims to be a stabilizer, but I thought I would try MMO top and bottom. I guess I will still have to add something else for the winter.

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 09:36 PM

I do not like stabil but love MMO. I've been using MMO since Sept 67. It has worked well for me as an upper cylinder lubricant. I don't trust fuel stabilizers any more. I don't know if it is the ethanol or some of the other additves in the gas but I've had to drain and clean fuel systems with several year old Stabil in them. I don't know what was wrong with it but, the engine couldn't burn it.

I prefer to add MMO to my gas. At the end of the season, I run the engine out of gas and change the oil. I turn the engine until I feel compression(the valves are closed). I put a pan of mouse poison under the machine and let it sleep for winter.

The MMO tends to leave a light coating on the fuel system and combustion chamber to prevent corrosion. It also disolves carbon buildup. Good Luck, Rick

#7 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted September 08, 2015 - 05:45 AM

they never used to but related to the comment about "several year old Stabil, I have noticed over the last year or 2 something I had never heard of prior, related to Stabil.    Now they have a "shelf life"  and it is claimed that it becomes "no good" anymore 2 years after you break the foil seal on the bottle; some bottles even have a blank line on them to write the day opened on it, and you are now supposed to dump any left over at 2 years and buy new.....  I have metal cans of it at Dad's house (Dad is gone now) that are 20 years old and more....

#8 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,856 Thanks
  • 3,193 posts

Posted September 08, 2015 - 09:01 AM

I don't want to seem cynical, but "shelf life" dates look like they are insuring future sales IMO. If the product is well sealed after opening and the container shaken/rotated every so often shelf life should not be an issue.
  • HANKG said thank you

#9 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted September 08, 2015 - 10:23 AM

I don't know if it is the ethanol or some of the other additves in the gas but I've had to drain and clean fuel systems with several year old Stabil in them. I don't know what was wrong with it but, the engine couldn't burn it.

Stabil only claims to work for one year.

straight from an FAQ on their website:

"STA-BIL® Fuel Stabilizer will keep fuel fresh for up to 12 months, guaranteed. Depending on the quality, type and source of the gasoline, as well as storage conditions, doubling the dosage rate of STA-BIL® brand could prolong this storage time to up to 2 years. However, any gasoline stored for more than 12 months will tend to lose volatility (ignitability), which could lead to hard starting or no start conditions after this long storage period. NO additive, STA-BIL® brand included, will prevent volatility loss in fuel.

To reduce fuel volatility loss during storage, we recommend filling your tank at least 95% fulll with fresh fuel and STA-BIL® brand, and store in cool conditions away  from direct sunlight if possible. If you forget to stabilize your fuel prior to storage and do experience problems starting your equipment after storage, we recommend trying our StartYourEngines!® Fuel System Revitalizer product."

Now they have a "shelf life"  and it is claimed that it becomes "no good" anymore 2 years after you break the foil seal on the bottle

Also from their website FAQ:

"The shelf life of all STA-BIL® brand products is 2 years after the bottle has been opened, provided it has been tightly capped and stored in a cool, dry place.  If the product has not yet been opened, you should use the color of the fluid as an indicator. If the product is still bright red, it is fine to use. If the product has turned to a very dark red (or brown) color, we recommend purchasing a new bottle.  It will not harm anything if you use an old bottle of STA-BIL® brand, it just may not be as effective."

Funny they mention to use the color as an indicator.  I have some that is almost brown.  Guess it's time to chuck that bottle.

Edited by Canawler, September 08, 2015 - 10:23 AM.

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 08, 2015 - 10:56 AM

I've been using the stuff that the JD dealer sells. JD brand. I've had good luck with Seafoam in older engines that are acting like they have carb problems. Putting it in the fuel seems to clear up the problem. My Troy bilt Jr tiller has a carb that is in pretty bad shape and was always hard to start. I started using Seafoam last year and this spring after sitting all winter if fired up after 2 pulls. Not sure we can even get MMO here! It sounds like a good product.

#11 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 08, 2015 - 11:51 AM

No..stay with STA-BIL.

#12 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,626 Thanks
  • 7,669 posts

Posted September 08, 2015 - 01:01 PM

I don't want to seem cynical, but "shelf life" dates look like they are insuring future sales IMO. If the product is well sealed after opening and the container shaken/rotated every so often shelf life should not be an issue.

Maybe some of these products are like Tung Oil. Tung oil will gel up if exposed to the air. The cure is to drop marbles or rocks in the partial can to bring the level back up to full and tightly seal the lid.

edit: I don't know if I made sense. I'm suggesting that exposure to air may affect products that have been opened.

Stabil only claims to work for one year.

For my purposes, it only has to last through the winter.

If the product has not yet been opened, you should use the color of the fluid as an indicator. If the product is still bright red, it is fine to use.

Has anyone used Marine Sta-bil? I'm trying to remember if it is a different color. I think it's green.

Edited by LilysDad, September 08, 2015 - 01:03 PM.

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#13 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted September 08, 2015 - 05:42 PM

yeah, I use the marine stuff in everything