40 replies to this topic

#16 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 08:45 AM

Deputy called me today to tell me they had found nothing.  No surprise, I was actually surprised by the call though.  Not bashing on the sheriff's department, a stolen 15 year old dirt bike is probably low on there radar.  I've been checking craigslist.  I spoke to an adjuster today too from Geico, he said it will be 30 days before they will issue me a check.  Seems pretty standard.  He said doing "blue book" and there is nothing comparable on the internet in year, he said he figures the pay out will be between 2300 and 2500.  Pretty darn good considering I paid 1500 for it. 

I am leaving work early tomorrow and going to pick up a 2006 KLX250S.  Even if they return the bike to me, who knows what condition it will be in or what was done to it.  Plus its "tainted" to me now.  I'll just sell it off if that happens.

I'm just glad they stole it before I put the 200 dollars worth of new tires on it....That's why I pushed it outside, then the little girl said she was hungry, I was getting ready to put it on the stand and take the wheels off to take them down to my buddy and put the new tires/tubes on.

• Gtractor and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#17 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 10:03 AM

How many miles were on your bike?  I found one in WV with 1500 miles on it but the guy says its a 2006.  He wants it gone quick.  Thought I would take a shot.  I hate thieves!

#18 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 10:05 AM

How many miles were on your bike?  I found one in WV with 1500 miles on it but the guy says its a 2006.  He wants it gone quick.  Thought I would take a shot.  I hate thieves!

Never mind.  I looked at the ad again and it was posted in July so that couldn't be yours.  Sorry for the alarm.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#19 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 10:37 AM

It has 10,XXX it was a 2000. 

Thanks for looking!

#20 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,295 Thanks
  • 4,654 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 11:16 AM

My father in law is 84 years old and our son needed a car so he was going to buy his old beater..  He put it on the road and the first week he had it he hit a deer..  Just a dent but still driveable..  The next week he was T-boned by a lady in a hurry in an intersection and the car was totaled but thank the Lord he was OK.. The insurance co. paid him $2300 cash..  He paid $300 for it!!  **He didn't like the car anyway..

As far as locking everything up goes..  Lots of stuff in our area gets lifted around the main roads as we are fairly close to the city..  My stuff is always locked up in the barn..  We've been pretty fortunate and nothing on my road grows legs and heads to the city..  

Times are always changing though..

#21 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 11:43 AM

It has 10,XXX it was a 2000. 

Thanks for looking!

Thanks.  I'm going to check this daily now that I have some more particulars.  We have enough people trolling craigslist as well as other sites that I would think that even if a hand full of them would keep this information beside their computers and give it a quick check whenever they are on craigslist already, we may be able to bring this scumbag down.

#22 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,570 Thanks
  • 3,895 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 01:07 PM

A locked door only keeps out the honest thieves.   :mad2:

• grnspot110, WNYTractorTinkerer and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#23 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 01:18 PM

My father in law is 84 years old and our son needed a car so he was going to buy his old beater..  He put it on the road and the first week he had it he hit a deer..  Just a dent but still driveable..  The next week he was T-boned by a lady in a hurry in an intersection and the car was totaled but thank the Lord he was OK.. The insurance co. paid him $2300 cash..  He paid $300 for it!!  **He didn't like the car anyway..

As far as locking everything up goes..  Lots of stuff in our area gets lifted around the main roads as we are fairly close to the city..  My stuff is always locked up in the barn..  We've been pretty fortunate and nothing on my road grows legs and heads to the city..  

Times are always changing though..

I have lived in this town nearly my entire life.  A few years out and about.  Our doors were always unlocked, stuff sat outside no one bothered anything.  I'd park my 4 wheeler outside when I was a kid, go in and eat lunch, and come back out and go back out riding.

I thought NOTHING about leaving my bike in the driveway.

Times are a changing.

Same thing happened to my friend.  He bought an S10 pick up that was beat to death for 500 dollars.  It wasn't that old but was used as a farm truck.  He was on his way to high school and got rear ended.  He got a check for 6500 dollars for that beat up truck since that was the "book value".  Worked out good for him in the end.

Edited by toomanytoys84, September 09, 2015 - 01:26 PM.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#24 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 01:20 PM

Thanks.  I'm going to check this daily now that I have some more particulars.  We have enough people trolling craigslist as well as other sites that I would think that even if a hand full of them would keep this information beside their computers and give it a quick check whenever they are on craigslist already, we may be able to bring this scumbag down.

There is one in Pittsburgh that is identical to my bike, but it was for sale before I bought mine.  Same year, same colors, almost the same mileage.  But it's not mine. 

#25 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 02:08 PM

There is one in Pittsburgh that is identical to my bike, but it was for sale before I bought mine.  Same year, same colors, almost the same mileage.  But it's not mine. 

Saw that but I figure the ad would have to be placed after Sept. 4, correct?

#26 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 08:57 PM

Unless somehow they were casing you, waiting for a lapse in attention.

#27 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 09:23 PM

Believe me, I understand the word tainted very well. We quit trying to fix the tool ambulance after $5000 worth of tools and copper were stolen out of it and another $5000 of tools and copper out of the shop. With the fact that it was a mix of business tools and copper and personal tools we ended up having to deal with two insurance agencies and we carry the $1000 deductible both times.... That hurts when they steal the tools you need for the job you have on Monday...

We did work closely with the police and community and came out of it knowing who the thieves were and that we were not willing to pursue the tools to the meth lab where the thieves traded them off...
  • Gtractor, Alc and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#28 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted September 10, 2015 - 09:02 AM

Saw that but I figure the ad would have to be placed after Sept. 4, correct?

Anything after the 6th.

• MH81 and David Brown have said thanks

#29 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted September 10, 2015 - 06:34 PM

IMG_20150910_190508500.jpg

IMG_20150910_183321406.jpg

It has been replaced.
  • olcowhand, wvbuzzmaster, David Brown and 2 others have said thanks

#30 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted September 10, 2015 - 06:49 PM

Nice!  Now lock it up tight!