40 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 10:32 AM

I have never had anything big stolen from me. Once someone got in my car and took a few small things.

Friday I picked up a 2000 drz400 dual sport. I spent the weekend scrubbing and cleaning every square inch of it. Serviced it and scrubbed everything. I got up early this morning and pushed it out of the garage and was tinkering. I went inside to make the kids breakfast. Gone maybe 20 minutes. Came out my new bike is gone. I thought my dad was teasing me. He told me he wanted it and was gonna steal it. I figured he was goofing and came up and drove it down the road.

I called mom and said hey where is dad at with my bike laughing. She said he is in bed. Mom won't carry on a joke so I knew she was serious.

Good thing I added it to my quad policy on the insurance yesterday morning. Made a police report and called the insurance company. Explained to them it was stolen and gave them the incident number the cops gave me. If it's not found I'll have a check for it. Zero deductible on comp and collision on my policy.

Something is seriously wrong with people. I spent hours on cleaning it. 4 hours of driving to get it. Gas money. Plus the work to save the cash to buy it.

Thank god I listened to my wife for once. I wasn't going to insure it till I put plates on it in the spring.

If you guys don't have your off road toys insured its a good idea. I have 2 quads and that bike insured and only cost me 35 a month.

Edited by toomanytoys84, September 07, 2015 - 10:34 AM.

• olcowhand, Alc, wvbuzzmaster and 6 others have said thanks

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 10:58 AM

Licensed toys have to be insured individually.  Items like our GT's and such should be covered under the person property section, up to the limit of the policy of course.  You may be better off with the money as it is hard to tell what they did with the bike once it left your place.  It could be in a hundred pieces by now, the rest will end up in a gravel pit some place.

• boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,740 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 11:04 AM

I have 2 quads and that bike insured and only cost me 35 a month.

Expect it to be slightly higher when you get the replacement bike. Like 400% higher.

• Gtractor, MH81, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,801 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 11:29 AM

I've had 2 snow plows and a 5' x 10 ' steel frame stolen from my woods. They will take anything that you don't watch. BTW, the $0 deductable is usually much more expensive than the $500 deductable. Good Luck, Rick

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#5 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,624 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 11:36 AM

Expect it to be slightly higher when you get the replacement bike. Like 400% higher.

Thats funny, sad, and true all at the same time. 

I once had an Allstate auto policy and they cancelled me because the previous owner had a claim - they wrecked the car.  I had just bought it from a rebuilder that showed me what work he'd done and the old bent up fender! 

Apparently Allstate has "highly trained and skilled detectives" that ran the VIN number through a computor and found the car had been in an accident - about 5 months before I bought it. 

That was over 25 years ago,  I still haven't had a claim, and I will never do business with Allstate again.  

:deadhorse:

• grnspot110, Lauber1, WNYTractorTinkerer and 2 others have said thanks

#6 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 12:12 PM

I just hate to deal with insurance, always seems like another way to get your money and get nothing back in return.  

• Gtractor, Alc, oldedeeres and 5 others have said thanks

#7 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,892 Thanks
  • 2,794 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 01:45 PM

Those pricks are the worst there is not enough regulation on them.
  • Gtractor, dodge trucker and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#8 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 02:57 PM

Don't it make you want to take 'em by the throut. The thieves and the insurance scam companies.

• Gtractor, dodge trucker, HANKG and 2 others have said thanks

#9 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 03:20 PM

I don't have may trouble with insurance but havnt had to make to many claims.  darn shame about the bike, I hate a thief !!!!!!!!  nothing worse than someone who is willing and happy to steal all your hard work.  good luck with it.

Pete

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#10 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 03:47 PM

The state of NC sets the rates that insurance companies can charge. I have never had a homeowners claim. Last year I get a letter from my insurance company saying they were raising my rate above the legal maximum and to sign the letter and return it. I ignored it. This went on for several months until they sent a letter saying they were going to cancel my homeowners policy if I didn't sign it. I called my insurance man and said in so many words "what is this crap?" To beat it all it's perfectly legal to do this and charge more than the law allows. Insurance payments are just loan payments. If you ever make a claim(take the loan) they raise your payment in anticipation of the next loan.
  • Alc, HANKG and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 04:14 PM

If you don't get it back, maybe the thief will wrap himself around a tree with it.  They deserve some pain, and lots of it!   I've never known of anything of mine being stolen, but it's a wonder.  

• grnspot110, Alc, toomanytoys84 and 1 other said thanks

#12 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 04:42 PM

Expect it to be slightly higher when you get the replacement bike. Like 400% higher.

I don't know. I totaled out a quad a few years ago. They gave me a check for 4000 dollars. My rate never went up any actually the next year it went down because I got an extra discount for having my policy for so long.

But yes insurance are a rip off but when you need them you need them.

#13 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 04:43 PM

I've had 2 snow plows and a 5' x 10 ' steel frame stolen from my woods. They will take anything that you don't watch. BTW, the $0 deductable is usually much more expensive than the $500 deductable. Good Luck, Rick

5 dollars a month difference.

It was 17 a month with the 2 quads. Adding the dual sport raised it to 35 because I put on much higher limits of liability. It was 27 with 1000 dollar 30 with 500 and 35 with 0.

I love GEICO. Insure my cars with them too. Excellent coverage on 3 vehicles and its barely over 100 a month. Pay in full for the year and done.

I've had several claims with them with no issues. When I totaled the last car in 2004 they were on the spot. Told them the amount they offered was too low and they came back with an offer much better. Rates went up slightly then back down 6 months later.

Edited by toomanytoys84, September 07, 2015 - 04:48 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#14 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 04:44 PM

That's one advantage to all my stuff looking old and junky. Nobody wants it.

We've had Farm Bureau insurance for 30 years. They have always treated us really well.

The first dealings was when my wife totaled our car in the early '80s. I was face to face with the adjuster. He gave me a settlement offer and they get the car. After a few minutes of talking, I got $300 more and I kept the car. I parted it out for another $400.

The latest incident I can remember is when my wife had an accident a few years ago. Our rate went up slightly for a couple payments, then back to what they always were.

Edited by freedhardwoods, September 07, 2015 - 04:56 PM.

• olcowhand, boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#15 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 07:40 PM

looks on craigslist it might pop up sometime.

• boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks