• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 07:48 PM

just bought a 1250, had the Durango instead of the pickup, so no room to haul home/ going back tomorrow with my utility trailer (and its tongue mount winch) to get it. I know there is a way to disengage the hydro so it can be pushed or towed while not running but in a quick look over in the guy's yard where I discovered it, did not see how to do this. I thought that some ofthe Cubs had a small flip lever for this purpose,that stuck out the side of the tunnel cover, did not see that on this unit....

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,780 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 08:00 PM

Check the manual in our Manuals Section. Great way to spend the holiday, getting a new treasure. I hope you have a safe trip. Good Luck, Rick

• dodge trucker said thank you

#3 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 08:44 PM

The early version of that series had the lever to release the hydro for towing on the right hand side of the tunnel cover but part way through the series they changed the hydro valves to a self relieving setup and did away with the lever.  Hope this helps.       Stewart

#4 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 08:58 PM

yeah I have been searching CL since I got home from making this "buy" and saw a couple of 1250s/1450s listed semi locally, and the pictured ones had the lever I was thinking that this one should have (but I did not see)    so if it is self relieving, then I should be able to wheel it onto a trailer with no problem right?

#5 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 09:21 PM

It should roll with no problem unless the brakes are stuck.  On the ones I've rolled around some of them went easy and some were hard to the point I had to use another tractor to tow it because I could barely push it.  Just have to go slow pushing/pulling it.  The general rule of thumb on the Cub Cadets is don't try and move it faster than you can walk.  Its probably the same for all the other hydros too.                  Stewart

#6 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 09:34 PM

I have a 2000lb 12V  Superwinch mounted on my trailer. It doesnt pull that fast. 

I have yet to hear it run, (though seller said "ran when parked") , just do not want to do any further damage to it besides what may have already been done before I found it...

#7 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 09:46 PM

Should be fine with the winch.  You could also pick up the back so one rear tire is off the ground and that'll make the diff. turn instead of working through the hydro but the back of those tractors are heavy.                   Stewart

#8 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 10:06 AM

I've pushed my 1477  Hydro around a lot.. never saw an issue... just go slow...

#9 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 02:39 PM

ok it's home, brake pedal flops around, choke cable was frozen (with choke shut, moves freely at carb)  gas tank is empty (maybe a good thing, possible it'll run w/o pulling carb?)  and I pulled air filter housing to find "no" element in place.  carb looks clean from there though, usually they look nasty at the inlet when having been run for very long w/o a filter... I went to the next town closest to where I bought it, (which was about 50 miles from home) and bought a new battery, swapped them in store parking lot.... old one was marked "may '04"  seller claimed it ran til he shut it off which was 2 years ago for the last time.  I think it has been longer.

It has string hanging from the steering wheel, the kind of string that claim checks at a repair shop are usually hung from.....

Got home, parked teh trailer and went inside for a minute just in time to see a huge downpour for about 5 minutes, sun looks to be coming out now about 20 minutes later.

#10 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 08, 2015 - 06:01 PM

it has the hole in the tunnel cover where you'd think that the hydro release lever "would" be located/

#11 dthomp17 ONLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 11:46 AM

I have a 1450 and a 1650 and both had the little flip lever to release the hydro.  However, flipping the lever didn't do anything because the plate attached to the lever has rusted into and didn't push the release pins down.  That may be your problem.  The PO may have removed the lever to replace the release plate and never got around to it.  You'll probably have to remove the tunnel cover to see which release valves you have.

#12 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 16, 2015 - 12:26 PM

Just got a 129,came to me w the tunnel cover off, it has the release lever.I see what it would disengage. Haven't had time to pull tunnel cover from the 1250 yet

#13 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 20, 2015 - 08:15 PM

ok, I got time to pull the tunnel cover on the 1250/ it looks like the "ported" pump with the self relieving check valves...