8 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,960 Thanks
  • 2,596 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 07:43 PM

Just thinking, since I just acquired a new to me 1250 "quietline";

(it is supposed to run, just been sitting a couple years so maybe I won't need to do what I am gonna ask, but just in case)

I have a freshly rebuilt M12 Kohler that came off a Grasshopper ZTR (it  is an identical twin to the engine on my Woods ZTR)  It is fresh, sitting here collecting dust at the moment, and I just bought a currently-non running 1250. 

so JUST IN CASE the 301 on this 1250 winds up as "DOA" once I get it carted home,  I was wondering what the possibility of interchange might be?  The M12 has the "wide base" on it. 

• chieffan said thank you

#2 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 644 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 08:51 PM

The wide base won't fit in the cradle for the 301 that the 1250 has and I'm not sure that the frame is wide enough to try and bolt the pan directly to the frame and still have the right height for the drive shaft.  Hope this helps.             Stewart

#3 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,960 Thanks
  • 2,596 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 09:00 PM

maybe, (it'll help)  I guess I'll have to see the difference when I get this machine home.  I did redo the rubber mounts on a friend's 1250 a few years ago, too long ago to remember....

#4 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,960 Thanks
  • 2,596 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 09:03 PM

I found a Cub snowblower on CL for what seems a fair price, I know the 1000 would be the same series and 1200 (just a gear drive version where the ones that ended in "50" were hydro)  Is the "1100" part of the same line of tractors?  because that was what the seller says his blower was used on.

#5 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • 644 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 11:09 PM

Yes the 1100 is the same series.  It was the model they came out with to compete against Sears and some of the other cheaper brands.  It had an 11hp Briggs and a 4 speed peerless transaxle.  It should hook right up to the 1250.            Stewart

• dodge trucker and chieffan have said thanks

#6 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,960 Thanks
  • 2,596 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 02:05 PM

OK I am going to revive this ancient thread. Didn't know it was "this" buried..
I am going to revisit the idea.
Does anyone know if they ever made a version of the Magnum singles that were cast with a narrow base block?
Failing that, the Magnum block cover (the big aluminum plate) flywheel and sheet metal would go right onto a regular K series shortblock, right? Or not?

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,960 Thanks
  • 2,596 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 02:16 PM

I think I need to see an 1100 to see if they mounted the Briggs that they used any different than the Kohlers? The base plate is taller (deeper) than on a narrow base engine, I wonder if mounting it solid, if that might make up for the rubber mounts on a narrow base engine?
If not a QL series how about fitment of a wide base Kohler to a regular wide frame like my 129?

#8 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • 644 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted December 20, 2015 - 02:34 PM

I believe the only wide base Kohler that will fit into the 129 without any modifications is the 7, 8, and 10hp engines.  The 1100 engine mounted into the tractor the same way as the Kohler  does in the QL series with the rubber mounts.  The Cub Cadet 1210 used a magnum single version of the K-301aqs that was put in the 1250.  The cover, flywheel and tin work from a magnum should bolt right on to a K series block.  I did the same thing with a 16hp K series and put the parts from a magnum 12 on it to make a magnum 16.  All I had to do was plug the hole for the points plunger.  If you do put the magnum parts on, the crank end play needs to be checked and readjusted if need be but that's not too big a deal to do.               Stewart

• KennyP, dodge trucker and chieffan have said thanks

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,960 Thanks
  • 2,596 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 09:24 PM

ok so there was a version of the Magnum made with the Cub style pan? 

I have seen a 1010 (I think that's the model it was) a tractor that is advertised as having a 10 HP Magnum Kohler single on it for sale on CL a little south of me.