Garden Tractor Forums banner

Tow Attachment

3K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  JBRamsey 
#1 ·
I'm looking for ideas to make some kind of attachment to tow riding mowers with my sears.

#4 ·
Great idea. I was looking at making a device that would lift the front axle of the towed tractor and attach with a 1 7/8" ball hitch to the back of my towing tractor. I was also looking at something that towed behind and had a small boom with a winch. It could pick up a tractor front or logs to skid or engines. There were so many possibilities that I put it to a back burner until I could figure out what I want. I just use the same 4' x 8' light weight trailer that I've used for 25 years. It has a winch. Good Luck, Rick

#8 ·
What lift does this tractor have? That brings you what options you can use!

#18 ·
Many thoughts, but the hand lift makes it in the KISS area. Not sure if I can get the point across here, but I'll try. Make up a small trailer frame type thingy. Behind the axle put a couple arms that go under the axle of what you want picked up. Use it similar to what is used to lift a motorcyle rear wheel and attach to the tractor.

Reactions: bbuckler
#19 ·
I don't want to hyjack this thread,,, But,,, is there anyway to put a door or gate hinge on the tow pin ,, and have a channel stock welded to the hinge,, and let a sleeve hitch lift it.??

I run into ,,sometimes I need to tow a log and the nose drags into the ground.. this would at least pick the front of the log up a few inches and thus,, less drag.. and grooves in the lawn..??

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
With the log, a log arch is best IMO
I don't want to hyjack this thread,,, But,,, is there anyway to put a door or gate hinge on the tow pin ,, and have a channel stock welded to the hinge,, and let a sleeve hitch lift it.??

I run into ,,sometimes I need to tow a log and the nose drags into the ground.. this would at least pick the front of the log up a few inches and thus,, less drag.. and grooves in the lawn..??
Like this one that grnspot110 made for example
post-912-132893744896.jpg

#22 ·
Many thoughts, but the hand lift makes it in the KISS area. Not sure if I can get the point across here, but I'll try. Make up a small trailer frame type thingy. Behind the axle put a couple arms that go under the axle of what you want picked up. Use it similar to what is used to lift a motorcyle rear wheel and attach to the tractor.
I get it. This sounds like the things that HF sales for moving a trailer around by hand. Roll it under the axle, push down on the tongue and it lifts the front of the tractor and then hook it to your pulling tractor. Couldn't be simpler. Get a couple of cheap wheels and a stick of square tubing and you're in business.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.