FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 10, 2011 - 08:41 PM

Well, it was nice out today so I kicked the new chicks out of my shop and into the coop. And then I found my hydro-12 project hiding behind it! :rolleyes: Seeing as how I had picked up all the needed part to convert the SSI ignition over to the Chrysler external set up, I took a few minutes to hook it all up with test leads. With a little carb cleaner, she fired up and was able to maintain somewhat of an idle. The carb does not seem to be getting any fuel, so a rebuild kit will be ordered next and I will re-build that. It felt good to hear it run seeing as how it has never been fired by me.
That OH140 will make a sweet motor for this tractor too!

#2 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 11, 2011 - 06:54 AM

Are you planning to post a play by play of the Chrysler external set up?
I hope so. I always look forward to your write ups.

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 11, 2011 - 07:32 AM

It is always nice when you hear em run for the first time. A write up would be pretty cool and we could add it to the main part of the site :D

#4 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 11, 2011 - 07:48 AM

Sure, I can do that... This one will be really cool because I have a factory Chrysler wire harness plug and wires for the computer. That will make it look really original. I need to pick up a coil mount bracket and figure out where I want to place the coil, and then I can get a new plug wire made for it too. Last night, I stole it off my other tractor.

First, I need to find a carb kit for a Walbro WHG25. NAPA does not carry them!

Here's a couple photos in my "test phase". I love these test wires I picked up at Harbor Freight for like $2.00, the are perfect for stuff like this. I have one test lead that must be hooked to the 12v (+) to turn the ignition on, but this is as simple as it gets. I am using a push button as a starter key connected to the solenoid, for testing, this is fine.

The red wire on the ballast resistor that is hooked with the yellow wire is the one that would go to the 12v (switched) on the ignition switch. You do need to use a new ignition switch (about $6.00) and because there is so little left, I suggest a full rewire. On mine, I will also have to replace the plug from the motor (charging system for regulator) However, I am debating installing a Chevy alternator on this one to charge the battery. If so, I do not need that plug or the regulator.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by FirefyterEmt, April 11, 2011 - 07:53 AM.

#5 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 11, 2011 - 07:58 AM

It's a start

GENUINE WALBRO WHG CARBURETOR REPAIR KIT K1-WHG | eBay
  • FirefyterEmt said thank you

#6 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 11, 2011 - 11:57 AM

Cheap enough! Done & ordered, thanks.

#7 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted April 11, 2011 - 08:21 PM

Awesome, I knew it would run, and that the carb would need work. The valves on it were adjusted two months before I sold it to you because the were holding open too much. So does this mean you want the hood now? Lol

#8 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 11, 2011 - 09:18 PM

You know, I forgot to take a peek at the photos! I am sure I will go for it, it has to be in better shape than the one that was on it, right?

How much did you want for that anyway? I will have to take a run down there once it gets a little warmer and it will make for a nice Jeep ride with the top off.

I picked up some carb cleaner and that re-build kit, so I will get on that very soon. The carb does not look too bad, a screw is missing on the choke plate, but that should be easy enough to find. I could not tell how well it ran, it was too rough on the carb cleaner to tell, but it sounded ok to me. Once the motor is running, and the wire harness is made, the motor can be pulled and the frame prepped for paint. Almost all the hard work is already done with those sandblasted parts I did last fall.

#9 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted April 12, 2011 - 05:54 AM

Yeah, it was alot better. I think I said $35 for it.

Sounds like a plan, are we looking at seeing it mowing this summer?

#10 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 12, 2011 - 07:24 AM

Sounds good... I think so, the gear 12 will be mowing to start so I do not have to rush the rebuild. My main goal is to make sure it's all ready for the county fair. I will be bringing both my 12's and maybe my son's 8 out there.