13 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 04:12 PM

Yesterday I got the remains of the H16 up on the "operating" table to start the tear down.  The hood, engine, seat & fender pan were off so had a start.  Started at the front and worked towards the back.  The pieces I wanted to keep went to the parts washer and were cleaned up as I went.  Laid them out in the sun and wind to dry.  Then on to the next piece.  The complete hydraulic lift system with the filter block is all in good condition.  Steering sector is junk but it does have a good steering wheel.  Would not go under my 20T press so will have to find a larger press and I know right where there is one.  The hydro fan is steel, not like a lot of the newer plastic ones.  It is good also.  After I got it all striped down I noticed the left tube is off set.  Also the left side of the front axle is longer to compensate and make the front wheel track with the rear.  Some of the pieces are spoken for already.  The rest is up for grabs if anybody has use for them, price will be reasonable.  With some luck and time I plan to build a dump box on the frame.

H16 frame-1.JPG      H16 Frame-2.JPG

• Gtractor, Traill95 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • Member No: 73578
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 07:37 PM

got some work ahead of you to build the dump trailer but your well on the way now.

• chieffan said thank you

#3 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 12:52 PM

Be a good idea to put some grease in there and blank plate that rear end. With a little protection and a little lube, it will last a long, long time.
  • wvbuzzmaster and chieffan have said thanks

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 04:39 PM

Be a good idea to put some grease in there and blank plate that rear end. With a little protection and a little lube, it will last a long, long time.

That red ring you see around the back end opening is gasket maker under 1/4" lexan.  Bolted on as a cover plate.  Filled with 80 - 90 Gear oil.  Kind of neat to move it around and watch the gears do their work.

got some work ahead of you to build the dump trailer but your well on the way now.

Need to get the tongue figured out first.  Then work on the box.  Plan to use a 1-1/2" pipe for a hinge pin.  Just want to keep it as low as possible.

• olcowhand and MH81 have said thanks

#5 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,181 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 06:58 PM

Looks like it should be an interesting project - could pull the pin out of the bolster and rotate the axle 180 degrees so that the tie rods are ahead of the axle - then you could bolt a plate to the hood hinge bolts or if you want a stronger connection weld a bracket to the top plate that the four bolts go through the tubes to mount the front drawbar to - just a suggestion.

• chieffan and Paulgo have said thanks

#6 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 06:58 PM

Did you say it will be a four wheel trailer? If so, how will you treat the front axle? will it become the rear axle so to speak and pivot on the steer axle sort of like rear wheel steering on a ladder truck? Will you fix the draw bar to the front axle so when it's pulled it will turn like a little red wagon? Or do you have some other plan for it? Or is it just going to be a two wheel trailer? Sorry if I'm making you repeat yourself but I forget now and I'm not sure how to find the other post.

Edited by backyardtinker, September 07, 2015 - 07:02 PM.

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 07:17 PM

Looks like it should be an interesting project - could pull the pin out of the bolster and rotate the axle 180 degrees so that the tie rods are ahead of the axle - then you could bolt a plate to the hood hinge bolts or if you want a stronger connection weld a bracket to the top plate that the four bolts go through the tubes to mount the front drawbar to - just a suggestion.

Kind of what I had in mind, reversing the front axle.  That would make the steering part a lot easier.  The original plate for the steering link would have to be extended at a right angle to work any way you go.  Will get it figured out one way or another.  Will keep taking photos and up dating as we go.

#8 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 07:22 PM

Did you say it will be a four wheel trailer? If so, how will you treat the front axle? will it become the rear axle so to speak and pivot on the steer axle sort of like rear wheel steering on a ladder truck? Will you fix the draw bar to the front axle so when it's pulled it will turn like a little red wagon? Or do you have some other plan for it? Or is it just going to be a two wheel trailer? Sorry if I'm making you repeat yourself but I forget now and I'm not sure how to find the other post.

Yep, a 4 wheel trailer.  Reverse the front axle end for end to get the tie rod in front.  Mount the tongue under the center of the axle with a rod to the steering arm off the spindle.  It will stay like an auto steer wagon, not a 5th wheel type.  I have done this with a couple other riding mower frames and it works out good.  The first flat bed wagon is about ready for a new bed.  It is 28" wide and 54" long with removable ends.

• backyardtinker said thank you

#9 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 07:25 PM

can't wait to see it!

#10 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 08:24 PM

Kenny made one.

Steering starts here
http://gardentractor...on/page__st__45
And continues here
http://gardentractor...e-1#entry196321
  • wvbuzzmaster and chieffan have said thanks

#11 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 08:03 AM

Kenny made his from scratch and used the front spindles off a tractor.  I am using the entire frame work, wheels, axle, etc.  Adding a tongue and box on top.

#12 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 08:30 AM

That red ring you see around the back end opening is gasket maker under 1/4" lexan.  Bolted on as a cover plate.  Filled with 80 - 90 Gear oil.

Lexan (polycarbonate plastic) is attacked by most petroleum-based products.  .....It will craze and eventually crack. 

Acrylic plastic (such as Plexiglass), although more brittle, will withstand the petroleum products.

• MH81 and chieffan have said thanks

#13 Tbrooks OFFLINE  

Tbrooks
  • Member No: 61764
  • 405 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 05:08 PM

Lexan (polycarbonate plastic) is attacked by most petroleum-based products.  .....It will craze and eventually crack. 

Acrylic plastic (such as Plexiglass), although more brittle, will withstand the petroleum products.

I agree with your comment. I work with plastics every day. Polycarbinate will craze and crack with oil or loctite, especially were it is put under pressure like under and around bolts. I would use acrylic with a scratch resistant coating. Put the coated side out so you can clean it easier without it getting cloudy.
  • Bruce Dorsi and chieffan have said thanks

#14 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted September 11, 2015 - 01:04 PM

I stand corrected.  It is not Lexan.  It is Plexiglas, left over piece form some window covers I built for a project.  don' know why I said Lexan.  It is more expensive and usually more flexible, though not much in 1/4" thickness.  Thanks for the heads up on that.