• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 03:46 PM

I have a few different projects on the go, but managed to get some time to work on the tiller.Last weekend I built a bracket that attached to the lift arm on the tiller and connected to the lift rod from my sleeve hitch. I thought I had done great until I tried to move the tractor and tiller. I made the rookie mistake of not having it on even ground while working on it. I had lots of ground contact in the full down position and about 4" of air under the tines at full lift. Awsome. Until I tried to move it. On level ground the tines were into the dirt at full lift and the tiller "hitch" (?) was hitting the drawbar on the tractor, so there was no way to get it off the ground. I decided to leave it for a bit to think about a solution to the drawbar clearance issue.

I decided I would grind out the hitch piece on the tiller just enough to clear the drawbar. I mounted it up so I could see exactly where to grind and how much, then realized that if I just unbolted the drawbar, flipped it so it curved up instead of down, my clearance issue would be solved. I then had to drill a new hole in my bracket to get the correct amount of lift. Two holes actually, got it right the second time. And we have liftoff!

Now I just have to finish tearing it down, order seals and possibly bearings, and find or build a driveshaft for it. I will post pictures in a bit.

Edit: The first picture shows the clearance issue, the second picture shows the solution, The third picture is my sleeve hitch bracket, compared to the one I built for the tiller. The rest of the pictures show the progress till I got the hole in the right place.

Attached Thumbnails

• 007.jpg
  • 009.jpg
  • 008.jpg
  • 010.jpg
  • 011.jpg
  • 012.jpg

Edited by CanadianHobbyFarmer, September 06, 2015 - 04:33 PM.

• Traill95 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 05:16 PM

Nice! I've spent the past ten days cutting, drilling, and welding to fix my car. I'm almost done. It will feel good when you get done. Good Luck, Rick
  • CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#3 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 10:42 PM

Yes are right, I will feel good when it is finished. I build things for a living , mostly out of wood ( I am a renovation contractor)..Getting out the welder, grinder and torches and making sparks fly is strictly a hobby for me, as I am sure you can see from the welds in the pictures.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 02:51 PM

I have made some more progress on the tiller. I got the rake off, the sheetmetal off and the hitch separated from the gear box. The front bearing came off in pieces, so I will need to replace that one. There were bits of chewed up bolts inside the square tube that houses the input shaft. Between those and the condition of the front bearing, that seems to have been the issue with noises and not wanting to turn. Everything is turning quiet an smooth now. So I just need seals, one bearing and a driveshaft (I think).

Does any one on here have a picture of what the driveshaft should look like? It is a model 18315

Edit: trying to make it work on a 1054 tubeframe.

Thanks, Jim

Edited by CanadianHobbyFarmer, September 07, 2015 - 02:53 PM.