• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Merle013 OFFLINE  

Merle013
  • Member No: 74432
  • 124 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 12:34 AM

I just bought a 1975 Power King with a V-Twin Kohler engine. I cannot find anyone who has done this. Is this a good engine swap? The tractor seems to have plenty of power.

• rustyoldjunk and MNGB have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 01:19 AM

I was looking into one after hearing it is a very good bolt-in fit with correct engine. How about some pictures. Most times it was in a newer model that had the famous Blowing up KT17's that these fit best in. Would be 85 and up then. I have not seen one in older version that drives off the reg shaft side like the K singles did. Pictures please.

• MNGB said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 06:04 AM

A V twin Kohler should make a good solid engine in that tractor. It's sometimes a challenge to fit on in where a flat twin was. I'd also like to see some pictures. I have a JD317 with a tired KT17 that will need re powered soon. 

• MNGB and Merle013 have said thanks

#4 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 833 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 08:05 AM

Hi Merle013, welcome to the group I'd also like to see pictures of your tractor and the engine installation. I'm thinking that would be a nice repower. :welcome: :wewantpics:

• Merle013 and Smitty150 have said thanks

#5 Merle013 OFFLINE  

Merle013
  • 124 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 02:45 PM

Thanks for the replys everyone. I bought the PK just over a week ago. Tractor was not running when I brought it home. The first thing I noticed was the chopped frame along the sides of the engine and the hood was rubbing the spark plug wire (I notched the hood to keep the wire from arcing). I sanded down and painted the gas tank with some industrial black that I had laying around. Also installed new valve on tank. Hydraulics work good but lines a little worn. There are some bad welds that I am going to have to clean up. That is why the three point hitch is off right now. I broke a bad weld. Did get 2 plows, disc, grader blade, the original mower (not functioning), and a cub cadet mower deck modified to work on the PK. Not a good tractor for a restore but would make a great one-of-a-kind.

• MNGB said thank you

#6 Merle013 OFFLINE  

Merle013
  • 124 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 02:46 PM

Uploaded photos to gallery.
http://gardentractor...pk-with-v-twin/
  • MH81 and MNGB have said thanks

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 10:20 AM

Just a note on welds. Even the orig PK welds were not the greatest. Early Economy's were built after the big war and they said "Drunken Sea-bea" welders did those welds, as a joke!  If PO worked on it, who knows what you have.  Take a shot of the frame mods. Those V-twins generally have a small mount base, odd they needed wider. Have seen bigger angle irons or even plates used on some tractors, but not a frame cut. OR....have seen Longer made frames cut and added to to get longer spot for a bigger engine in some too.  We're still waiting for some pictures........need help with that procedure? Phone works, or digital camera, or reg pix and a scanner?

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,293 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 10:30 AM

Welcome to GTTalk
I think it has a lot of potential. The PO took a tractor that was destined for the scrap yard and managed to breathe a little life back into it.
I don't own many pretty tractors, and they all work for their fuel. With a little TLC, you'll have yourself a good worker there.

#9 Merle013 OFFLINE  

Merle013
  • 124 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 01:09 PM

This is my first time on a forum of any kind. I figured out how to upload to the gallery but not for sure how to add them to posts. All help is appreciated. I will get some more frame and engine mounting pics. I also want to thank whoever put the link to my pics on my earlier post.

#10 sourdrop26 OFFLINE  

sourdrop26
  • Member No: 75063
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 10:12 PM

hey Merle013 I could use your help with the model number and any other info you can give me about your engine I need to repower mine.

#11 Merle013 OFFLINE  

Merle013
  • 124 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 02:00 PM

I am still trying to find a model or serial #. Will let you know when I find something. I have posted a few more pics.

engine
engine mount right
engine mount left
body chop

#12 Merle013 OFFLINE  

Merle013
  • 124 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 02:19 PM

Some of the electrical components not working such as lights and shutoff switch. When I get them figured out I will post the results. When I brought it home I had to fix the gas tank and fuel lines. Tractor started up and ran fine but I am one of those people that wants everything to work. Not to mention the safety hazard of not being able to shut the engine down in an emergency. It is hard to shut the engine down even in third gear with the grader blade on the ground and with the choke pulled while holding the brakes. The wheels still want to spin a little before it shuts off. The wiring looked kind of ratty anyhow. If anyone has advice on the rewiring job I would appreciate it.

• Alc said thank you

#13 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 03:18 AM

Some have a fuel shut-off that needs to go off with key. Needs to be ON when key is on then to allow gas to carb. I once had a Speedex with one, that would run about 3 seconds after shutting off key, then quit because of the valve. Kinda odd to get used to. OR, maybe they have switch for Kohler still in tractor and it does not have the M terminal for grounding out the engine to stop On side of one of the cylinders at the blower cover is a nut on a stud that should be the Mag terminal if like mine. THAT would go to switch M terminal if it had one. You could put in a push button on dash to ground it, or even a regular toggle switch. Would have to remember to turn the toggle back on tho, to have it run next time.

• Merle013 said thank you

#14 Merle013 OFFLINE  

Merle013
  • 124 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted September 23, 2015 - 09:31 PM

Thanks for the info but I got it all figured out thanks to a friend who happens to have an electrical engineer for a father. Great source. I made a wiring diagram in autocad and saved it as a bmp. Tried posting but I keep getting a message telling me that I cannot upload that type of document.

• KennyP said thank you

#15 Merle013 OFFLINE  

Merle013
  • 124 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted September 26, 2015 - 11:36 PM

Everything was fine until I torqued the starter against a wire leading to the rectifier. Poof and now I am rewiring again. Plus I fried the rectifier. Should have new rectifier any day now. As soon as I get it running I am going to haul it to my father-in-laws. He has a good welder that I can borrow to start on the hitch. Going to have to pick me up a good welder I guess.

Everyone have a good one