• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 stubbysteve OFFLINE  

stubbysteve

• Member No: 3443
  • 54 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 11:08 PM

Just got to thinking after reading a post made by earthgrinder. Since I don't have legs and am bound to a wheel chair for mobility, my DB walker won't be used for actual ground work. Just more of a show type tractor.

But for those of you that have a walker, reguardless of brand, and have a ride on sulky, how hard are these to actually steer? And I mean like on grass or asphalt. I do how ever still till my own garden with my rear tine new style tiller. And it is a pain in the butt cause you have to hold it up in the rear when transporting it from the shed to the garden.

I am aldo thinking of maybe making a hitch on the back of my sulky or making another cart to maybe actually use one in the garden or just to play with some.

So really are these a pain in the butt to steer? Thanks.
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#2 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,439 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted September 05, 2015 - 01:41 AM

I think, a four wheeled walk behind won't work. Better is a two wheeled like this, for transporting aso.

post-10327-0-67237100-1430827328.jpg

• Gtractor and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 stubbysteve OFFLINE  

stubbysteve

• 54 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted September 05, 2015 - 01:50 AM

Yep thats what I was talking about. The 2 wheel walk behind

#4 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,032 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted September 05, 2015 - 07:29 AM

I don't think so. Just have enough room to make a wide turn.And one that has reverse!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1097.JPG

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 stubbysteve OFFLINE  

stubbysteve

• 54 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted September 05, 2015 - 08:36 AM

Mine does have reverse as well as the speed chainger. I also down loaded the optional brake manual and hopefully I can replicate it am that way I can have good enough brakes.
  • Lauber1 and karl have said thanks

#6 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted September 05, 2015 - 09:13 AM

I don't think so. Just have enough room to make a wide turn.And one that has reverse!

Pretty long wheelbase on that rig in the photo. Would be like turning an aircraft carrier around. :D

#7 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,569 Thanks
  • 3,894 posts

Posted September 05, 2015 - 10:27 AM

Most generally they steer hard, requiring more effort than a regular riding tractor.  A lot of that is determined by tires.  I have some 2-wheelers on steel with lugs and they are brutal to turn if they don't have turning brakes.   Yes with such long handlebars you get decent leverage to turn and your pneumatic tires will help a bunch. 

Also, if you were pulling a heavy load the hitch wants the tractor to pull straight.  Just pulling a cart around the yard won't be too bad. 

As mentioned above, they definately do not turn very sharp.  Most two wheelers with riding sulky have the turn radius of a train. 

jd.rasentrac,  4 wheeled walk behinds do work if they are zero-turn!  :poke:      

We have an amish community close by and they use Dixon zero-turns with the seats removed and very primitive homemade linkages to move the controls to the back of the mower. 

Then they can walk behind because eeeeeveryone knows you can't get into Heaven if you drive something with an engine.  :(

Edited by Gtractor, September 05, 2015 - 10:28 AM.

• Lauber1 and HANKG have said thanks

#8 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 478 Thanks
  • 314 posts

Posted September 05, 2015 - 11:45 AM

I have a David Bradley I made a sulkey for with a little bed on the back and it's ok to steer but if you try to make a sharp turn the handle bars get you in the upper leg and hip area.  Gravely made one that bolted solid to the frame and had a steering wheel so the wheels under the seat turned and it acts kid of like a zero turn.  From what I've heard from people that used both styles on the Gravely they prefer the steering one better.  Hope this helps.        Stewart

• Lauber1 said thank you

#9 framesteer OFFLINE  

framesteer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 330 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted September 05, 2015 - 03:03 PM

I have seen sulkies with steerable wheels (using foot rest controls). Greatly improves maneuverability.

#10 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted September 05, 2015 - 04:09 PM

I have seen sulkies with steerable wheels (using foot rest controls). Greatly improves maneuverability.

im thinking maybe you miss the part of him having no legs?

• Gtractor said thank you

#11 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted September 05, 2015 - 04:16 PM

maybe you should think outside the box here , and look at the fact most trouble with sulkies is hitting your knees on the handles of the tractor. No offence, but not having legs would be an asset is this department. Look into making a sulky that will accept your scooter, wheelchair or which ever mobility device you use. Sort of like a chariot, then drive up inside it. to control the tractor. you can figure out the tooling to push/pull after you get past the mobile part.   

• diesel nut said thank you

#12 stubbysteve OFFLINE  

stubbysteve

• 54 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted September 05, 2015 - 09:24 PM

Guys im really way outside the box.I build motorcycles, lawn mowers climb deer stands etc. I think I will be ok. Thanks for the input fellas.

#13 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,032 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 07:08 AM

Pretty long wheelbase on that rig in the photo. Would be like turning an aircraft carrier around. :D

It is!