42 replies to this topic

#1 TomLGT195 ONLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,802 Thanks
  • 2,203 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 06:41 PM

This past year has been tough on me, the job requirements have been pushing my health, both physically and mentally. I have decided to give my notice as a field/ job site foreman. I told them I would finish running the 2 jobs I have started then wish to just go back to being an installer if they choose to keep me. It was a tough decision, but my health and family life have been suffering , so I did what i need to for the well being of both.

A little background. I am a union carpenter specializing in high end commercial trim. I mostly do large corporate headquarters, hospitals , college and private schools.  I have worked for this company for 15 years and have been running work for the last 7 years. The pace of construction has drastically changed and the timeframes have shortened dramatically. The result has put the trim guy( me) on the job site weeks later than on the schedule without a deadline/ due date change. IE; 3-4 weeks for 8-10 weeks worth of work. This schedule forces us to work overtime and 6-7 days a week. In the past there was breaks between jobs to catch your breath, but lately , it's one after the other. And most recently, it's been overlapping jobs with crazy demanding deadlines. I have had as many as 5 jobs at the same time with approximately 45miles between them in 2 different states, with 15-25 guys depending on status of jobs.

I know plenty of people are looking for work, and would think I'm crazy for voluntarily taking a pay cut, giving up a gas card, company phone and guaranteed work throughout the year, but my thought is what's the point if I lose my health and family to make a buck? We just need to tighten our belt a little. My wife and I thought hard about it before I made the decision. The guys that work me for couldn't believe it when I told them today. One didn't let me finish before he said" I'm not working for them if your not running the job"to which I replied " I'm not leaving till I finish this job"

You guys are like an extended family to me , so I thought I would share with you guys. Thanks for reading. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 18 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,467 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 06:55 PM

Some times, you gotta do what seems a back step! Sounds like someone is not scheduling things right!

• HDWildBill, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#3 truck21 ONLINE  

truck21

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2813
  • 431 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 06:56 PM

I wish you all the luck in the world. Money is not everything.

Don
  • boyscout862, Team_Green, oldedeeres and 3 others have said thanks

#4 grattone ONLINE  

grattone
  • Member No: 66237
  • 222 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 07:09 PM

I retired at 63 yrs old, Had just under 40 years with the company, because of the travel all hours of the day and night. Your health and family are too important to keep it going like that. The dollar isn't worth it. GOOD LUCK

• Sparky, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 07:30 PM

Tom you made the right decision. Alot of money doesn't do you any good if you are sick. Also, if you stayed they would just keep dumping more on you.

30 years ago, I had a great job at the Submarine base. Terrific people, good pay, excellant benefits but a commute that had me falling asleep at the wheel. I figured that the job wasn't worth dying for. I left it for a closer job, shorter hours, but less pay. When I gave my 4 weeks notice(I needed the time to finish a project I was doing), my boss and my boss' boss said that they were retiring since I was breaking up the team.

You can never get back the time when the kids are young. If you overstress yourself, the damage to your health can be long term. I hope that it all works out for you and you enjoy life more. Good Luck, Rick
  • WrenchinOnIt, oldedeeres and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#6 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 07:32 PM

I made the exact same choice when my daughter was born, I was working as a millwright and gone 7 to 10 days at a stretch.  the money was great and I loved the work but what was the point, my daughter would have grown up without me.  In the end you are making the rite choice and you wont regret it, if the company you work for has a clue as to the talent you have then they will retain you for close to the same money.

On the plus side you will have more time with your gt's :thumbs:

Pete

• WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#7 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 07:35 PM

Best Wishes and your right you can't put a price on health, and you can't afford the wear and tear stress will do to you!
Preaching to the choir here, 35yrs IBEW construction electrician,have ran my share of work and my situation was almost identical to yours, I never cared for commercial work anyways, and you have described absolutely the state of most if not all our commercial jobs. I drug up two weeks ago, younger guys can have the headaches . Good Luck! skilled craftsman will always be in demand no one can take your skill set from you! That company will miss what you brought to the jobsite! May the next door that opens be exactly what your looking for.

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, September 04, 2015 - 09:00 PM.

• boyscout862, oldedeeres, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 07:35 PM

Tom, there's a lot to be said for slowing down to more enjoy life.  I almost waited too long, but then if my health issues hadn't gave me a somber warning, I might have literally worked myself to death.  You will be happier for your decision.

• grnspot110, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#9 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • Member No: 73578
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 07:43 PM

Good choice and good luck in your future endeavors. Must be a little stressful making such a big move but things will work out for the best. Going to be great for you to spend more time with the family!

• boyscout862, oldedeeres and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#10 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 09:28 PM

And remember, nobody will really thank you for all your hard work, extra time put in, your time not with family and friends, to make your bosses richer and look good because of what you did. Good for you, life is to short to be stressed out about when a job gets done, that's why they say, there's always tomorrow and it all can't get done in one day. Noel
  • MH81, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#11 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 10:11 PM

Put your foot down and keep it down!!!!  There's more to life than making a living.  I have not worked over 40 a week in 20 years and absolutely refuse to do so. and I'm a line haul driver..not worth it IMO    Nobody on their death bed ever says "geez i wish i'd put another day in at the office"

• MH81, boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer and 3 others have said thanks

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 10:17 PM

Tom, I'd like to tell you a story.
My Aunt passed away from brain cancer several years before my Uncle was scheduled to retire.
He and his kids soldiered on
My one cousin has MS and things weren't always easy for them.
As the time for my Uncles retirement approached, he had some health concerns (Ive always attributed to stress from work and home)
that forced periodic medicine changes. One of these changes caused an aneurism in his spinal column. It caused near complete loss of his legs, most of his one arm and left him with one arm of about 80%.
He lived for many years of his retirement. In a nursing home.

You and your wife have made a good decision. If things get to tight, I'm sure you can pick up some local small jobs to supplement. But it won't be at the breakneck pace and you can turn down anything that won't be compatible with your new perspective

Good luck and we will all be pulling for you as you make the transition. Let us know how you're doing.
  • HDWildBill, boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer and 2 others have said thanks

#13 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 10:28 PM

You did the right thing!  Best of luck. 

• boyscout862, oldedeeres and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#14 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 10:50 PM

I too feel you did the right thing. Amen to all the above.

• boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#15 TomLGT195 ONLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,802 Thanks
  • 2,203 posts

Posted September 05, 2015 - 03:33 AM

Thanks guys for all the support. It's been really tough this last few months, I just need to start taking time off and get myself better. I know my pride got in the way. I said there was no way these jobs would miss their deadline on my watch. My health paid the price, no more! 

• olcowhand, Alc, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks