• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,424 Thanks
  • 2,785 posts

Posted September 05, 2015 - 01:09 PM

I think it would be very successful if you make it walkers, earlier less common 4 wheel garden tractors and an article on hit miss engines. Eliminate the blah blah blah. Gear it more towards restorers and collectors and users.

great ideas, one of the first thing that needs to done is limit the age, say nothing after 1965, as that date covers most of the walker, but not all of them. it would also trim the list of most of  the lawn mowers come lately riders. Not that I have anything against someone with the newer stuff, but there always has been way to many resource used in that direction.

• earthgrinder, Mike Unwin and Columbia236 have said thanks

#17 DougT OFFLINE  

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,535 Thanks
  • 4,189 posts

Posted September 05, 2015 - 05:19 PM

Well, After recently taking the reigns of the Vintage Garden Tractor Club of America, I can vouch first hand that a newsletter is a lot of work. One of the biggest complaints we heard in the early years was that it was all old walk behind stuff and not enough newer . You have to try and come up with a good mix for the newsletter to work. The human aspect also fits into the general interests as well. I'll have a harder issue writing about the newer because I haven't studied them. I'm always open to articles. hint-hint

• earthgrinder, Columbia236 and Clifford Bridgford have said thanks

#18 Clifford Bridgford OFFLINE  

Clifford Bridgford
  • Member No: 71036
  • 314 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted September 05, 2015 - 08:17 PM

I guess that I like walkers the best because my first tractor was an old David Bradley, the model with the hood and the cultivator that hung from the handle bars with

rods.  I was about 9 years old when I got that.  We had a neighbor that passed and I went to his widow to buy it, but she would not sell it to me because I was just a little boy.  I had to get my Dad to come with me to get it that night when he got home from work.  I think I paid $50.00 for it.  Had the snow plow too.  Spent about two

years savings of chore money on that one.  I will never forget the disappointment when Sears dropped David Bradley from the Farm Catalog.

I do not mind riders, but the stuff made after 1960 really has no class to it.  Our best bet for a newsletter is to contribute what we know to Dougs newsletter.  Just make sure that what you contribute is true and not some crap from the internet.  There are some very knowledgeable people out there that really know the brands that they collect.  We had a pretty good group of them at Brownsville and Kinzers this year.  If Doug received one or two articles an issue, it would make his life a lot

easier, and he could improve the quality of his newsletter.

I am working with the Zagray Farm group in Connecticut to have a Shaw meet for Spring of 2017.  I want to include all brands in addition, 1960 or earlier, and we will have an area to plow.  If interested, share your ideas. 

• earthgrinder, DougT and Columbia236 have said thanks