dblover
  • Member No: 73516
  • 266 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 04:54 AM

http://www.amazon.co...JWT4DAFXF0WS4WM
Briggs & Stratton
Briggs and Stratton Replacement Carburetor 390323 394228 170401 190412 194412

As you may have seen in my prior posts, I have a couple old B&S that had carb issues. One carb got fixed. The other always had a slow leak - no mattter how the extension tube machined surface was polished or even with the tiny B&S tephlon washer/seal on the tube.

My solution for the 5hp? Spend $18.41 and buy a Chicom replacement carb off Amazon. It had 4 differences from the original. 1. Carb throttle plate is slightly bigger. 2. Throtle rod attachment needed to be removed and flipped or it revs when you want it to slow. 3. Fuel bowl inlet is not threaded, so had to connect to fuel line with a hose instead of hard line. Unlike the picture below, the fuel bowl had a 90 degree hose fitting press fit at the factory. 4 carb mount bolt holes are metric.

Swap took about 15 min. It runs perfect with the carb. Price is almost the cost of a carb rebuilt kit.

Attached Thumbnails

• 516iG9GsvzL._SL1500_.jpeg
  • 51jKsqCp4KL._SL1500_.jpeg

Edited by dblover, September 04, 2015 - 05:03 AM.

• olcowhand, LPBolens, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#2 dblover OFFLINE  

dblover
  • 266 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 06:40 AM

Here is the replacement carb on a Big 5 David Bradley walk behind tractor.

BTW: I swapped the throttle set bracket over to the new carb.  The give away is the throttle shaft not being flush with the end of the bracket b/c the USA version is wider. (I modified a Starrett jeweler's screwdriver (ouch!) to make the proper size punch).  This was needed b/c the Chinese bracket (pot metal) broke when I peened the other end of the throttle rod to hold the flipped linkage bracket and the pot metal just burned when I tried to MIG it back together.  Yes, I could have gotten a pot metal solder rod from a show/internet - but I wanted to plow the next day.

Driving out the B&S tiny roll pin that retains the throttle set bracket was tough - the Chinese carb used the same pin size and hole location as the original B&S.  This means the USA made part swaps to the Chinese carb w/o modifications needed.  

PS - the Chinese carb uses a different rebuild kit than the B&S.  IMHO, why bother if another carb is just $18?

99.99999999% of the people would be unable to tell the carb is not USA made.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150904_063739.jpg
  • 20150904_063750.jpg

Edited by dblover, September 04, 2015 - 07:27 AM.

• olcowhand, Alc, Talntedmrgreen and 1 other said thanks

#3 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 07:16 AM

Now that the china knockoffs have had time to circulate, the simplicity guys I'm accustomed to hearing from have had a lot of poor feedback on them.  They are prone to difficult to adjust/correct variations in build tolerance, and seem to warp easily.  The general theme I've seen through other forums has been to save for the oem and avoid headaches.  That being said.....it's possible I'd roll the dice on a china carb...once.   :smilewink:

• Alc and karl have said thanks

#4 mrmr56 OFFLINE  

mrmr56
  • Member No: 62092
  • 202 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 08:18 AM

I rolled the dice twice but to no avail. The first carburetor had 2 problems out of the box. The high speed jet was completely screwed up inside the emulsion tube and the low speed jet had a 90 degree bend on the end. Of course, no returns on installed product and the bowl screws are safety wired with a seal. In other words, Buyer Beware. The second carburetor from another supplier was a bit better but constantly leaked. I don't think I will go for a third. I may be dumb but not stupid.

• karl said thank you

#5 dblover OFFLINE  

dblover
  • 266 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 10:11 AM

I rolled the dice twice but to no avail. The first carburetor had 2 problems out of the box. The high speed jet was completely screwed up inside the emulsion tube and the low speed jet had a 90 degree bend on the end. Of course, no returns on installed product and the bowl screws are safety wired with a seal. In other words, Buyer Beware. The second carburetor from another supplier was a bit better but constantly leaked. I don't think I will go for a third. I may be dumb but not stupid.

Maybe different slave labor camp made mine or the manuf. improved?  My carb lacked safety wire and did not have drilled bolts/screw heads for safety wire.

This is the only Chinese carb I bought.  I am very happy with it.  Your mileage may vary.

Edited by dblover, September 04, 2015 - 10:11 AM.

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 10:21 AM

I have found there are 2 different levels of aftermarket parts now being made available to the public, seems like this just happened about a year or two ago as I never remember seeing this kind of stuff being sold until now.... There's good ones myself and other sponsors sell and then there's what I call "China Direct" with no brand name given and they must be brought in straight from china and sold directly to places like amazon ect. I have found none of these cheap ones have parts interchangeable with an OEM carb while the true OEM spec aftermarket ones I get through my sources can take OEM and aftermarket parts for replacements.

Generally a rule Of thumb I go by is if you can buy a complete carb for less than what a repair kit costs there's something not right about that IMO........ The ones I sell are 89.99 list for comparison https://bolenspartsa...-390323-394228/

#7 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,084 Thanks
  • 1,889 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 10:51 AM

The aftermarket one on my Sears I can get adjusted but it seem to work it self out adjusted.

#8 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,040 Thanks
  • 775 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 05:03 PM

YUP!  You can have that junk. I once bought a after market rebuild kit, for just the same carb.it was cheap and I thought it was a good deal. I belive it was from brazil. What a hunk of Crap. nothing fit ! I'll stick with an oem briggs rebuild kit. you can pick them up as a buy it now for about twenty bucks on E-Bay.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#9 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 07:53 PM

I just buy the original ones at swap meets if I see them under 10 bucks and just throw a rebuild kit in them. Basically I get a new rebuilt Carb for about 25 bucks.
  • Bolens 1000, Cvans and karl have said thanks