• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,608 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted September 05, 2015 - 07:16 AM

Good deal! Glad it's staying in your family.
  • LA2TN said thank you

#17 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,655 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted September 05, 2015 - 10:27 AM

I left tunnel off mine, put floor plate down. Have to build batt and oil tank mounts tho. One in my avatar. Batt on side up front, gt size, not car size. Looks pretty clean shape!

#18 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 994 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted September 05, 2015 - 12:02 PM

Looking good your on your way glad you got the gears to move so it would roll. Tranny needs some cleaning and lube but should be ok.

#19 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted September 07, 2015 - 07:14 PM

Exciting!! Glad to hear you got her loaded up. That's wonderful you're bringing across the country back home with you. Please keep us posted on the journey to getting her back up and running again.

I ran into the same issue with my '77 not wanting to budge when I got it too while in neutral. The rear wheels were locked up. I tried dragging it a few feet with my truck but they still would not break free. The parking brake had been on when it had sat for several years which may have frozen up the brakes. Anyway, after hooking a battery up to it and cranking it over a couple of revolutions while in gear, it broke it free and then rolled nicely.

Edited by Austen, September 07, 2015 - 07:15 PM.

#20 LA2TN OFFLINE  

LA2TN
  • Member No: 63647
  • 16 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted September 10, 2015 - 10:50 PM

Made it home finally. 2,200 miles back to west TN.

Austen - I am very much looking forward to getting this machine back up and running. Although I live in TN now, I'm going to be moving back home to north Louisiana hopefully before the end of the year. So this tractor is slowly making its way back home again. I know I will have questions once I start working on it. One question that jumps out at me is what is the first thing I need to do? Degrease the whole thing? Get a new battery and try to start it? Should I do anything with the gear box? The hydraulic hoses need to be replaced as they are shot. The belt on the hydraulic pump looks bad. Not sure where to start??

I appreciate all the wealth of knowledge on this forum. I'm am looking forward to working on the red tractor that I used when I was a kid.
  • olcowhand and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#21 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted September 11, 2015 - 04:26 AM

Made it home finally. 2,200 miles back to west TN.

Austen - I am very much looking forward to getting this machine back up and running. Although I live in TN now, I'm going to be moving back home to north Louisiana hopefully before the end of the year. So this tractor is slowly making its way back home again. I know I will have questions once I start working on it. One question that jumps out at me is what is the first thing I need to do? Degrease the whole thing? Get a new battery and try to start it? Should I do anything with the gear box? The hydraulic hoses need to be replaced as they are shot. The belt on the hydraulic pump looks bad. Not sure where to start??

I appreciate all the wealth of knowledge on this forum. I'm am looking forward to working on the red tractor that I used when I was a kid.

Degreasing wouldn't be a bad idea.  Then you can at least see what you are working on.  The very first thing I would think is to get it running.  No sense in taking it apart, sanding, putting a fresh coat of orange on and putting it back together without knowing if it will even run.  Get it running, use it a while, make note of what needs done and then tear into it over the winter.

#22 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • 994 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted September 11, 2015 - 01:22 PM

Likewise I'd get the engine running then clean up the tranny good make sure it turns easy and free, the picture you posted of it looks nasty but it could be just the way a digital picture shows, once its running and drive-able then you can go on to whaqt you want to do.

#23 LA2TN OFFLINE  

LA2TN
  • Member No: 63647
  • 16 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 08:13 PM

David B. - that's sensible advice. That's what I'll do. The carb has been exposed as the breather has been off of it.the carb may need to be cleaned.

MNGB - before I put the lid on the gear box, I poured some gear oil in there. It did look pretty nasty in there. I prob need to clean it out good. My dad had another gearbox (I'm assuming the original) with the tractor. I have it too, but not sure why he replaced it. Would any degreaser work?

#24 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • 994 Thanks
  • 824 posts

Posted September 13, 2015 - 10:13 PM

Yea a degreaser like gunk would work or you could wash it with gas and a parts cleaner brush / good stiff 1 /2" paint brush then flush it with some diesel fuel, then fill with a mixture of 80 / 90 and STP.