• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 LA2TN OFFLINE  

LA2TN
  • Member No: 63647
  • 19 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 03, 2015 - 09:07 PM

Hey guys, I need some help. I inherited my dads 1975 Power King tractor. I live in TN and the tractor is in CA. I flew to CA a couple days ago and will be driving back to TN towing a trailer. I need to get the PK on the trailer, but I can't get it to roll out of the shop. I believe it's stuck in gear. I've tried every way to put it in neutral but I can't get it to budge. I've GOT to get this machine on the trailer. Any advice? How can I get it into neutral? Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by LA2TN, September 03, 2015 - 09:10 PM.

#2 Bwinkle7 OFFLINE  

Bwinkle7
  • Member No: 74733
  • 29 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted September 03, 2015 - 09:36 PM

LA2TN.... Somewhere in the 18 pages of topics your problem has been discussed. I'm a nubee myself and I don't know enough yet to give the right information. Someone here can help you better than me. Let us know how you fare out. Bwinkle7
  • LA2TN said thank you

#3 Bwinkle7 OFFLINE  

Bwinkle7
  • Member No: 74733
  • 29 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted September 03, 2015 - 09:41 PM

CA2TN... Just letting you know your not alone in a dark room. I caught your post and sorry I can't be more helpful Bwinkle7

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 03, 2015 - 09:54 PM

It's probably stuck between gears. Common problem due to worn disk on the shifter. You'll have to remove the tunnel and take the tranny top off to get it out of gear. Once you get it home, have the disk built back up with weld and put it together. No small job but it's what needs done. Just be sure you gave it a good try to get it out of gear first. The funny thing is, in the one picture it looks to be out of gear. Check and make sure the brakes aren't frozen on first.

Edited by David Brown, September 03, 2015 - 09:56 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 LA2TN OFFLINE  

LA2TN
  • 19 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 03, 2015 - 11:04 PM

Bwinkle - thanks for the encouragement!

David Brown- the gear shifter moves around some, it has some play and will push down. I thought it was out of gear too. Maybe it's the brakes? I can move the tires just a little and that is as far as it will go. It acts like it's in gear. I can rock it back and forth about an inch. If it were the brakes, how can I unfreeze them? Could I hook it up to my truck and pull it to see if they would break free? I've got to get this machine on my trailer to TN. I don't know when I'll ever be back to CA and drive back so this is my only shot. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

#6 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted September 03, 2015 - 11:25 PM

Take the advice above, remove the tunnel over the transmission, and remove the transmission top cover. You will have to manually move the sliding gear into position in order to get the transmission into neutral. It's not a huge undertaking. I wouldn't drag the machine if this is the problem.
  • boyscout862 and LA2TN have said thanks

#7 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 12:46 AM

Another option would be to put some wheel dollies under the back wheels to load it up.

Attached Thumbnails

• 910-938_A.jpg

#8 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 04:08 AM

I have seen it a number of times where the parking brake rusts in the on position. It sometimes jams the gears too. Download the manual from our manuals section. Follow the brake adjusting proceedure but first back it off until it is free. The little wheel dollies are available for about $50 for the pair at Harbor Freight. Be sure to strap the tractor down real well with atleast 4 straps and check them at every stop on your trip. I hope that you have a safe trip. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, September 04, 2015 - 04:11 AM.

#9 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,582 Thanks
  • 3,961 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 04:23 AM

Welcome to GTtalk!
Not familiar with your tractor, so I can't help in that area. I second the suggestion of using dollys to load. Then you can get it home and tinker with it. Nice tractor!

#10 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 04:26 AM

Bwinkle - thanks for the encouragement!

David Brown- the gear shifter moves around some, it has some play and will push down. I thought it was out of gear too. Maybe it's the brakes? I can move the tires just a little and that is as far as it will go. It acts like it's in gear. I can rock it back and forth about an inch. If it were the brakes, how can I unfreeze them? Could I hook it up to my truck and pull it to see if they would break free? I've got to get this machine on my trailer to TN. I don't know when I'll ever be back to CA and drive back so this is my only shot. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

If the shifter moves around pretty freely, does it make a difference where the shifter is?  In other words, if you were to put it in, say, 2nd gear, would it stay there?  Can you feel it go into gear?  If not, then I would bet that the end of the shifter broke off and is wedged in there.  That's happened to me in the past.  Do you have someone there who can work the brakes while you look at them to make sure they are moving?

You can always try to start it and see what happens.  Just make sure it has a clear path in both directions and that you are on the tractor.  Once it turns over, it will move without the tractor having to start.

Edited by David Brown, September 04, 2015 - 04:29 AM.

#11 Glenn Ayers ONLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • Member No: 65363
  • 35 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 06:54 AM

I would drag it on to the trailer & fiddle with it at home.  You aren't going to hurt the transmission by dragging it .. due to the reduction in the final drives .. very little torque it transmitted back thru the finals to the tranny.    More damage can be done by starting the engine & trying to force the tranny from engine power.   The forward drive train (transmission) in these tractors is very light duty ... it only transmits power through a 3/4" shaft back to the differential ... then the real power is developed in the hi-reduction final drives.

If your tires aren't loaded (liquid ballast) and there are no wheel weights ... the tires will just slide .. very little stress will be transmitted to the transmission.

I once had use my truck to drag my PK with loader bucket about 1/4 mile on a dirt road to get it home.  (shifter ball worn & locked in 2 gears)  It has Dual wheels with 10 gallon of anti-freeze in each & wheel weights.   I was mad .. pride was hurt ... no other damage incurred from the drag home.

#12 cootertom OFFLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 718 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 09:01 AM

Another option would be to put some wheel dollies under the back wheels to load it up.

If there is a Harbor Freight near by they have them on sale.

• Alc said thank you

#13 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 12:59 PM

yep to trans locked up OR check those band brakes on rear on each side. The linings swell and or rust right on the drums there many times if not used for years. You should be able to pull it up on trailer with small winch or another vehicle longs as you hook the straps or chains to heavier parts of frame. NOT the bumber sticking out front or any steer parts. Those dollies I use on many tractors at home in garage to move them around. The simple small ones work on hard surfaces. Not sure what you can do on any stone or grass area. OR, again have couple of big guys kinda lift rear and move a little at time all the way into trailer?  Taking tunnel off will require removing seat, battery, oil tank (or it may stay on pan) and hydraulic hoses if it has those that pass thru the tunnel. Hoses can come off just the front and rest should lift away enough to see trans top. Four small bolts to hold that on and lift off. Again may be dry or water in it, don't be suprised. Move gears to get nuetral and see if rolls. IF the shifter is not broken, it can be centered and put back on and get forks into those moveable gears. Can leave bolts some loose till later. I would leave the tunnel off and remove enitirely when home to work on the issues of getting it going. For most part tho, just sliding it up on trailer isn't gonna hurt it. Heck maybe a wide board to set rear tires on and a hand dolly could be used to lift wheels off the ground and roll?  You will need more people to do some of these things.

#14 LA2TN OFFLINE  

LA2TN
  • 19 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted September 05, 2015 - 12:30 AM

Guys, thanks so much for all the advice and help. I took the tunnel off,had to remove seat, hydraulic hoses in front, and battery. I took off the top of the gear box and it looked pretty dry. I took a screw driver and moved the gears, it seemed like it broke free. After that, it would roll. I was able to push it through the yard and loaded it on my trailer. It's TN bound tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by LA2TN, September 05, 2015 - 12:36 AM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor and KennyP have said thanks

#15 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted September 05, 2015 - 06:29 AM