• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 warren OFFLINE  

warren
  • Member No: 48223
  • 42 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted September 03, 2015 - 06:30 PM

I did some researching before attempting to repair the PS unit on an Ariens GT20.  It seems that many of these units are a HGF unit manufactured by Parker.  The seal unit (# SK 000097) from Parker is just over $100.00.  The one I purchased, from Amazon, is a John Deere #  AM107078 and cost $62.99!  Inside the plastic bag is an instruction sheet from Parker with their part # above.  Everything worked out well.

• Alc, shorty and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,945 posts

Posted September 03, 2015 - 06:45 PM

Nice when you can find the parts at better prices. What all comes with the lot?

#3 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • Member No: 73578
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted September 03, 2015 - 07:01 PM

are you repairing the steering valve? ( rotary valve/pump ) Just wondering as there may be a danger of injury  once you get it all back together and start it up. Not sure of this applies to this particular unit, but if memory serves me, on some of the steering valves on some toyota forklifts, extreme care must be taken to put it back together EXACTLY as it came apart or when it it started up the steering wheel may whip violently back and fourth at high speed without stopping.

#4 Curtis1480 OFFLINE  

Curtis1480
  • Member No: 69912
  • 19 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 11:47 AM

I just rebuilt the steering valve on my gt20. Fairly simple rebuild with one acception. The valve ring assembly has 6 small springs that fit into pockets in the plates above and below. It is quite difficult to get the springs to stay in the pockets while you drop the next plate on. The springs will fly out never to be found again if you arent carefull.

#5 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• Member No: 1059
  • 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted September 05, 2015 - 03:09 AM

I just rebuilt the steering valve on my gt20. Fairly simple rebuild with one acception. The valve ring assembly has 6 small springs that fit into pockets in the plates above and below. It is quite difficult to get the springs to stay in the pockets while you drop the next plate on. The springs will fly out never to be found again if you arent carefull.

Lol! I remember many years ago I had my local Ariens dealer (now passed) replace a leaking seal on my Gravely 18H PS. The guy was a highly skilled OPE mechanic (other dealers from hundreds of miles away sent him Kohler engines for rebuild) and a master on Ariens equipment. He did have a couple springs fly away and I have no idea how he found them. As I watched him, I was thinking "holy crap, this thing is never going to work again!" He finally got it together and it has not leaked since. Apparently the original design was flawed and Ariens had an upgrade which was a huge improvement. Over the years I have thought about that day more than a few times, wondering if I could ever change that seal myself.

Edited by artbuc, September 05, 2015 - 03:19 AM.