• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Hydro guy OFFLINE  

Hydro guy
  • Member No: 63243
  • 174 Thanks
  • 128 posts

Posted September 03, 2015 - 03:50 PM

Me and my oldest daughter are thinking about buying a drone to use for video and pics etc...   We are thinking of using on the farm etc,  Does anybody have one ?   pros cons?   how expensive are they?   thanks for any and all information. 

#2 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted September 03, 2015 - 03:56 PM

I have a few rc helicopters I always wanted to get the camera kit for it.
Definitely want something with gyros.
The price range is is huge

Edited by jabelman, September 03, 2015 - 03:57 PM.

• Hydro guy said thank you

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,582 Thanks
  • 3,961 posts

Posted September 03, 2015 - 04:16 PM

Would be so much fun to have. Doesn't NutnDun, our fearless leader have one.
  • Hydro guy said thank you

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 03, 2015 - 06:19 PM

I do have one. The frame is a TBS Discovery and I have a gimbal kit and use a Sony AS100 video camera. The flight controller is a PixHawk which uses open source coding. You can fly by controller and/or waypoints and setup auto missions. It is amazing in what they can do. Let me see what pics and or video I can find. I gotta be honest in that I haven't even seen it since we went down to Kentucky last year. Just haven't had the time. 

• daytime dave, Alc and shorty have said thanks

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 03, 2015 - 06:40 PM

Here is a picture of the air frame. I don't have the camera or gimbal mounted on it in this pic. It does have a FPV camera and video transmitter so I can fly it through that. I have only done a couple of flights through it though. I haven't been able to break myself into being able to strictly fly through the video screen.

TBS Discovery.jpg

Here is a video of it flying in what they call loiter or GPS mode and it maintains it's current altitude and position until the sticks are moved. I was holding the controller down by my side and using the phone to record it. It does move around a couple feet in either direction however with their current revisions in firmware it holds position almost right on the money.

Here is another video where it crashes. I was testing their release candidate 9 firmware and had the extra filtering setup on a switch. I went to switch it off and something glitched with the motors and took it down. I think it only broke one prop. 

Here is another video from doing testing trying to tune the gimbal settings:

Here is one of the last test videos I would have done before we went down to Daniel's in Kentucky for his plow day:

• olcowhand, Alc, shorty and 2 others have said thanks

#6 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted September 03, 2015 - 07:00 PM

I see where a guy is working on a laser system to shoot them down. Maybe you want to get something to shoot back.

• NUTNDUN and Hydro guy have said thanks

#7 Hydro guy OFFLINE  

Hydro guy
  • Member No: 63243
  • 174 Thanks
  • 128 posts

Posted September 03, 2015 - 09:58 PM

Never thought about hunting with one , just kinda wanna play around with one. My oldest daughter is a master at editing video etc. So I thought we could kind of work together with it. Me as a pilot and my daughter as the footage taker. I see they are priced all over the place. Are the ones under $100.00 any good ?

#8 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,912 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted September 03, 2015 - 10:33 PM

My friend has one we take it off shore fishing with us in the canyons off New Jersey. We launch it out of the cockpit of the boat and send on scouting missions, the video is sent to an I pad in real time. This thing is amazing and very useful for recon on tuna. The unit he has is about three thousand dollars and although its often out of sight it always comes home and lands right back in the cockpit of the boat.
  • Alc, Cvans and Hydro guy have said thanks

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 03:28 AM

Never thought about hunting with one , just kinda wanna play around with one. My oldest daughter is a master at editing video etc. So I thought we could kind of work together with it. Me as a pilot and my daughter as the footage taker. I see they are priced all over the place. Are the ones under $100.00 any good ?

If you have never flown an r/c going for something under $100 would probably be ideal. That way if you do crash which you will at some point it won't be so much of a loss. I have never flown or tried one of them so I can't say if they are decent or not. I do know the smaller and lighter they are the more you have to worry about the wind being too strong.

• Alc, Cvans and Hydro guy have said thanks

#10 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 06:20 AM

I have one my wife bought me for my birthday last year... I have crashed it several times and am a little gun shy of doing permanent damage. I will get back to it when I have time.

You will need an iPod or some other device that is compatible as a screen to fly it with
Since I last tried, my daughter broke her iPod, so I'm going to have to do something else.
  • Cvans and Hydro guy have said thanks

#11 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 06:07 PM

My buddy brought one down to camp. We played with it.

My only advice is the more you spend the better quality unit you are going to get. I was big into rc heicopers. I thought I was terrible at it till I bought a good one and I could actually fly it and do some tricks.