• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted April 10, 2011 - 09:30 AM

What are your opinions of these blades that you can put on a mower to dethatch your lawn?...I know I can rent a special machines for this, but I only want to do my own yard and a small area of it at that.

I looked online and there seems to be 2 types....one with these spring steel things on them and the other type looks like a regular blade with holes where you put trimmer type plastic string in them....

opinions please...........

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 11, 2011 - 08:19 PM

I have never seen the type you are referring to. I just did some googling since I am not familiar with dethatching but it seems like it would work. I don't know how long the blade mounted tines would last though. Would love to hear your results if you try it.

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 11, 2011 - 09:41 PM

I had a toro push mower that I found a free tooth dethatcher for. It was hard to adjust, but seemed to do the job when I got it right. The dethatcher unit mounted in front of the mower and the teeth combed the lawn just ahead of the mower.

#4 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted April 12, 2011 - 05:06 AM

I went and got one with the springs.......$11.99, so no big expense.......It seemed to do a decent job, but needs to go a bit lower.....I am mainly using it on dead patches to clear them so new grass can grow up through......Its raining these days, so I will have to wait for a dry day

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 12, 2011 - 07:34 AM

I went and got one with the springs.......$11.99, so no big expense.......It seemed to do a decent job, but needs to go a bit lower.....I am mainly using it on dead patches to clear them so new grass can grow up through......Its raining these days, so I will have to wait for a dry day

The price is cheap enough that it makes it worthwhile to experiment with. Are you able to adjust them other then lowering the mower deck?

#6 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted April 12, 2011 - 04:43 PM

The price is cheap enough that it makes it worthwhile to experiment with. Are you able to adjust them other then lowering the mower deck?

This dumb mower ndoesnt have the little levers to adjust height...You have to move the wheels to the next hole......I will move them up a bit and see what happens

#7 chris597 OFFLINE  

chris597

• Member No: 3097
  • 1 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted May 04, 2011 - 10:32 PM

I have an aluminum deck Deere push power with the front mount dethatcher attachment, Real good for thatching every now and then, Plus you can bag it at the same time.

#8 Encrypt OFFLINE  

Encrypt

• Contributor
  • Member No: 502
  • 9 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 02:46 PM

I have a bluebird walk behind unit that I use. You want the thatching tines to scratch the surface. You don't want them to dig into the ground. My walk behind you can just adjust the lever to move it up and down. I have also used a tow behind unit which is a self powered unit. Those are pretty nice also. They have tines on them that remind me of a street sweeper broom. Once you dethatch your yard you'll think it's all tore up but actually it's not. It's actually helping by removing all the dead and large clippings that are not breaking down.