gears grinding clashing hydro differential transmission mf10

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 masseyman426 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 66306
  • 2 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 08:05 PM

I have a 1967 MF10 with hydro-speed transmission. This tractor has been a hobby of mine for the last 3 years, working on it whenever I had an hour to spare. I now have it running relatively well, with one BIG exception - I can't shift the transmission with the engine running without clashing gears. If I engage any of the 5 gears before I start the engine, it runs in that gear with no problem. To shift gears then, I have to turn the engine off, shift, then restart. I have already changed out the fluid, replaced the secondary belt, lubed the variable sheave, adjusted the tranny split drive pulley, variable linkage and brake. I'm hoping the fix is simple...anyone ever had this problem before or have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

• Gregoryhen and Andrewbup have said thanks

#2 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 702 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 04:20 AM

Welcome to the forum! There should be some knowledgeable Massey guys along shortly to help out. Lots of knowledge floating around in these pages! Meanwhile you may want to check out the manuals section. There may be something there to help. Welcome again friend!
  • boyscout862 said thank you

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,669 Thanks
  • 28,318 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 06:13 AM

You mentioned hydro, then said gears. Due to the nature of the rest of the post, I assume the unit is not hydro and is a vari speed.
If the belts are OEM and set up properly (new? Original? OEM for sure?) I would say you've got a belt guide either in the wrong place or missing all together. It could be varispeed adjustment... They are very finicky to dial in right, but my first guess is belt guide near the engine.

If you had pics, it may help one of us. All around, but specifically the RHS of the tractor showing the belt with the vari in park and then not.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,485 Thanks
  • 7,357 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 09:29 AM

Welcome to GTT. You have a great machine there. If you have a manual(gear) transmission they are "crash box". I never shift gears while moving because they will grind and damage the gears. You should be able to shift with the engine running but the tractor stopped. If it grinds with the clutch pedal depressed, the clutch, brake, guide pins, and idler pulley may need to be adjusted. Post pics. Good Luck, Rick

#5 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,118 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 12:49 PM

:welcometogttalk: :camera:

#6 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted September 03, 2015 - 05:35 PM

I am in the same train of thought.... It sounds like the belts.

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,502 Thanks
  • 5,269 posts

Posted September 03, 2015 - 06:32 PM

Agreed if the Vari-Drive is adjusted right and you can't shift gears then 1 or more of the belt guides for the front belt is missing or not doing it's job.

With the tractor running in neutral after you push the clutch down hard it takes a couple of seconds for the belt/pulleys to stop tuning so you can shift. The belt guides act to slow/stop the belt.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gears, grinding, clashing, hydro, differential, transmission, mf10