• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ironwrx@comcast.net OFFLINE  

Ironwrx@comcast.net
  • Member No: 74848
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 05:38 PM

Hi. I just acquired a woodwacker model (WW1) chipper made by the Didier Mfg.Co. Information I have found says they had an 8 hp. Engine. I got an 8hp Briggs that should work, but the chipper itself has some type of variable diameter shieve (maybe some type of clutch?), and I am wondering what shieve to match up with it? I can't find any owner's manual or parts list for this machine. Any ideas?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441147088.003915.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441147102.422237.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441147128.371556.jpg
  • Traill95 said thank you

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 05:48 PM

Welcome to GTTalk.  Check out manuals section to see if there is a manual on the woodwacker.  As long as the mount holes line up you should be OK on the motor.

#3 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 06:59 PM

That pulley appears to be the driven part of a torque-converter drive.  ....This type of drive was popular on mini-bikes many years ago, but I doubt it was original equipment on the chipper.

The torque-converter had a variable width pulley on the engine also.  .....As the load increases/decreases the two variable-width pulleys automatically adjust to the load.

As the load increases, the engine pulley groove would widen, creating a smaller drive diameter, while the larger driven pulley groove would narrow, creating a larger driven diameter.  .....This increases the power to the driven equipment, but decreases the rpm of the equipment's input.

As the load decreases, the engine pulley groove gets narrower, while the driven pulley groove gets wider.  .....This increases the rpm of the equipment, but decreases the power transmitted.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 07:07 PM

First off, :welcometogttalk:

That pulley appears to be the driven part of a torque-converter drive.  ....This type of drive was popular on mini-bikes many years ago, but I doubt it was original equipment on the chipper.

The torque-converter had a variable width pulley on the engine also.  .....As the load increases/decreases the two variable-width pulleys automatically adjust to the load.

As the load increases, the engine pulley groove would widen, creating a smaller drive diameter, while the larger driven pulley groove would narrow, creating a larger driven diameter.  .....This increases the power to the driven equipment, but decreases the rpm of the equipment's input.

As the load decreases, the engine pulley groove gets narrower, while the driven pulley groove gets wider.  .....This increases the rpm of the equipment, but decreases the power transmitted.

Agree. Torque converter pulleys. May find a set on an old snowmobile.

Edited by Bmerf, September 01, 2015 - 07:08 PM.

#5 Ironwrx@comcast.net OFFLINE  

Ironwrx@comcast.net
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 07:21 PM

Welcome to GTTalk. Check out manuals section to see if there is a manual on the woodwacker. As long as the mount holes line up you should be OK on the motor.

Sorry, new to this forum, where do I find the manuals section?

#6 Ironwrx@comcast.net OFFLINE  

Ironwrx@comcast.net
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 07:31 PM

That pulley appears to be the driven part of a torque-converter drive. ....This type of drive was popular on mini-bikes many years ago, but I doubt it was original equipment on the chipper.

The torque-converter had a variable width pulley on the engine also. .....As the load increases/decreases the two variable-width pulleys automatically adjust to the load.

As the load increases, the engine pulley groove would widen, creating a smaller drive diameter, while the larger driven pulley groove would narrow, creating a larger driven diameter. .....This increases the power to the driven equipment, but decreases the rpm of the equipment's input.

As the load decreases, the engine pulley groove gets narrower, while the driven pulley groove gets wider. .....This increases the rpm of the equipment, but decreases the power transmitted.

I agree on the torque converter theory. (A friend suggested the same thing). However, I think it may be original, because when you first start the chipper there would probably be quite a load against the engine, on account of the large flywheel that has the chipper blades. And without the converter, I think it would be hard to start.

#7 Ironwrx@comcast.net OFFLINE  

Ironwrx@comcast.net
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 08:42 AM

Welcome to GTTalk. Check out manuals section to see if there is a manual on the woodwacker. As long as the mount holes line up you should be OK on the motor.

Does anyone know where this "manuals section" is that HDwild bill talks about?

#8 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 08:47 AM

Here you go:

Man.PNG

#9 Ironwrx@comcast.net OFFLINE  

Ironwrx@comcast.net
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 11:14 AM

Thanks Bmerf. However this is not there on my mobile device through tapatalk. I'll try it direct.