Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 05:22 PM

For the last couple of years I been trying to attend old tractor shows that I haven't been to before.  That usually means farther distances than I'm comfortable with,  but hoping to see something new and/or different, finds me holding the steering wheel for hours on end - once again. 

My job is a truck driver so I get enough steering wheel time through the week.   And to think,  my teachers used to tell me I'd never be able to make a living staring out the window.  :poke:  

Think I won that bet! 

There was a small town with a well advertised show about 150 miles from here and I wanted to check it out.  The plan was to load Thursday evening.

Couldn't decide which tractors to take.

The MRS. is in between jobs and has been cooped up in the house more than she likes.  Instead of loading, she and I went to see a friend that is recently retired and building himself a new house.  We had a good visit!  
Friday found me with a long run through 3 states but I left super early and that would allow me time to load that evening.  We had a little shower Friday evening and I been needing to do some tilling at moms house. She had some landscaping done and I volunteered to till and seed the area as part of her birthday present.  She'll be 71 later this month.  With the quick rain shower the tiller would work in her concrete-like-dirt better, so I loaded the Howard Rotovator and went to work.  Humidity was awful and I was drenched, but I got the job done.  Took mom out to dinner afterwards.  By the time we got home it was dark.  I'd been on the go for nearly 18 hours. 

Will load Saturday morning.......

Saturday found me in bed worn out.  Got up at 7:30 or so.  The MRS. says I guess we aren't going?

I said 'get in the car".

Had a pretty good idea this show would be very small but I still wanted to go.  Some of the best shows I ever went to were small ones.  So we hit the road for nearly three hours of ride time in the small econo-box car without any tractors.

They were featuring John Deere.  That usually makes the show larger just because of the amount of people that collect "belly button" tractors.

They had a total of 6 John Deere's.  :(

Maybe 25 farm tractors total and exactly 2 garden tractors.  A beautiful Big Ten Allis that was a treat to see and a 400 Deere that was only there because it was for sale and that was free advertising for it. 

We didn't stay long and hit lots of antique shops close and on the way home. 

All in all it was a good day.  The problem is I drove 300 miles to see 2/3 less tractors than I have sitting around here. 

:hitting_self_roller:

At least now I know....

• olcowhand, MH81, grnspot110 and 6 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,783 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 05:41 PM

Most importantly, you made it home safe. I agree with you that some of the smallest shows are the best. Where are pics of the Big Ten? Hopefully, the wife is happier from getting out. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, September 01, 2015 - 05:41 PM.

• Gtractor and Traill95 have said thanks

#3 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 06:33 PM

Too bad about the show, but a road trip with the wife is priceless.

• Gtractor, boyscout862 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#4 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 07:38 PM

In my experience some of the best days I have had have been a complete waste of time, good to spend a day riding around spending time with your wife.  go set lunch and enjoy the ride , go for the ride not the destination !!! 

Pete

• Gtractor and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 10:15 AM

Some days are better than others but they are all good when get home in one piece and got to spend enjoyable time with our "boss lady".    We just made a trip to Burlington last Thursday to get a tractor.  Left at 8 and back at 4:30.  Nice ride all the way.

• Gtractor said thank you

#6 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 10:55 AM

You made me chuckle...add that to your list of "Pro's" for making the trip!

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,291 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 11:26 AM

I've seen one day shows like that. Or if you go on a Sunday late afternoon to any of the local shows. They may have had a hundred tractors, but the only ones left are the ones that wouldn't start. :D
  • Gtractor and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#8 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 02:15 PM

Our local show gave up on Sunday this year.  For the first time its a Friday/Saturday show.   Not that it matters much.  They have driven away most of the local collectors and all the ones that drove in from quite a distance to display. 

Ya'll need any crazy off the wall ideas about how to destroy a tractor show, mostly by running off exhibitors,  PM me and I'll give you a at least a dozen.  :(

Edited by Gtractor, September 02, 2015 - 02:16 PM.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,291 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 04:16 PM

Our local show gave up on Sunday this year. For the first time its a Friday/Saturday show. Not that it matters much. They have driven away most of the local collectors and all the ones that drove in from quite a distance to display.

Ya'll need any crazy off the wall ideas about how to destroy a tractor show, mostly by running off exhibitors, PM me and I'll give you a at least a dozen. :(

No thanks, our largest close show had a few hair brained ideas. Like not letting the small & hit-n-miss guys sell stuff from their display area. All exhibits and flea stuff was to be segregated. A guy bringing an engine and a half dozen items for sale had to buy a spot in the flea market, set up hit engine, abandon it so he could man the flea spot.. And not break even on the deal.

Any wonder why there aren't many (almost none) engine guys at that show anymore?
  • Gtractor said thank you