#1 Wheelboy OFFLINE  

Wheelboy

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 7780
  • 21 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 07:52 PM

Hello,

I just got this Waterloo bronco with a Wisconsin TE motor and there is no spark. It's a 6v system.
Here is what I've done so far.
Starter turns the engine over.
Cleaned carb, cleaned points(pretty clean already) points make contact.
There is no power getting to distributor.
No power from coil.
There is continuity in the spark plung wires and the coil wire.

I think my problem lies in the coil. I have a brand new kholer coil will this work on a 6v system? They are the same size

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by Wheelboy, August 31, 2015 - 07:54 PM.

• boyscout862 and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#2 Marty'70 ONLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 729 Thanks
  • 632 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 08:29 PM

I may be wrong but I doubt the Kohler coil would be 6 volt. If it is a 6 volt then it should be fine.

#3 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • Member No: 73578
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 08:31 PM

My guess would be a coil for a 6 volt system needs to be beefier ( I.E. more windings ) as it has half the volts available to produce spark. Therefore, a 12 volt coil might not work but maybe someone has practical experience with this and will chime in.

• Lauber1 said thank you

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,748 Thanks
  • 7,520 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 04:23 AM

Nice looking tractor. I'm not familiar with that engine but I have found that many times a poor ground connection is the problem with nonworking ignitions. Check all connectors too.  Good Luck, Rick

• Wheelboy said thank you

#5 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 07:20 AM

Is your 6v system positive or negative ground? Do you have 6v on one of the small posts at the coil? The ground polarity will determine which one it should be on. (opposite grd) Ohm check across the 2 small posts with no voltage applied and you should get a reading in the 1-4 ohm range. You do not want a coil with an internal resistor and I think most Kohler coils have it.

• Alc and Wheelboy have said thanks

#6 Wheelboy OFFLINE  

Wheelboy

• GTt Junior
  • 21 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 12:16 PM

6v system is positively grounded. + from coil goes to distributor. Will check the range today.

#7 Wheelboy OFFLINE  

Wheelboy

• GTt Junior
  • 21 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 02:48 PM

I disconnected the wires to the two terminals on the coil. And got a reading of 1.0 (at 200 ohm on volt meter)
Does this mean the coil is bad?

Edited by Wheelboy, September 01, 2015 - 02:49 PM.

#8 Wheelboy OFFLINE  

Wheelboy

• GTt Junior
  • 21 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 10:23 AM

Is your 6v system positive or negative ground? Do you have 6v on one of the small posts at the coil? The ground polarity will determine which one it should be on. (opposite grd) Ohm check across the 2 small posts with no voltage applied and you should get a reading in the 1-4 ohm range. You do not want a coil with an internal resistor and I think most Kohler coils have it.

DougT does this mean the coil is bad? At 1.0 Ohm? If the coil is this low will it still give a spark? Also the battery was hooked up as negative ground would this have damaged anything?

#9 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 10:48 AM

DougT does this mean the coil is bad? At 1.0 Ohm? If the coil is this low will it still give a spark? Also the battery was hooked up as negative ground would this have damaged anything?

At 1 ohm across the primary the coil should be OK. Do you have the 6v on the neg terminal? Reverse polarity really doesn't hurt the coil but it doesn't produce the full spark most times. With 6v on one post, hook up a jumper to the other post and scratch it across a good ground and pull it away. You shoud get a spark from the coil wire to ground. Make sure you remove the wire going to the distributor before you try it.

#10 Wheelboy OFFLINE  

Wheelboy

• GTt Junior
  • 21 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 11:05 AM

The system is 6v positively grounded.

#11 Wheelboy OFFLINE  

Wheelboy

• GTt Junior
  • 21 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 11:06 AM

So does that mean the positive post from the coil goes to the distributor cap?

#12 Wheelboy OFFLINE  

Wheelboy

• GTt Junior
  • 21 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 11:15 AM

When I push the starter wouldn't I have power going to the ground post on the coil? I have no power with my test light. Looks like I'll be taking her apart.

#13 Links56 OFFLINE  

Links56
  • Member No: 74901
  • 14 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 03:40 PM

Like DougT has recomended, First take a spark plug and put it in the discarge wire from the coil and have it grounded. Unhook the wires from the 2 posts on the coil, then take a seperate wire from the positive on the battery to the negative on the coil. Hook another wire to the positve post on the coil and touch that to the negative post on the battery for just a moment, when you pull the wire off the negative post it you should see a spark in the plug.

This will tell you if the coil is working or not. It sounds like you don't have any power to the coil. Maybe you are using the test light incorectly? you should have the alligator clip on the negative post on the battery then you should touch the probe to the negative on the coil and it should light up if the key is on. One of the wires on the coil should go to the distributor and the other one should have 6v with the key on. Also be careful you don't leave the key on too long, if the points are in the closed position it can make them hot and they can burn up.

#14 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 04:45 PM

When I push the starter wouldn't I have power going to the ground post on the coil? I have no power with my test light. Looks like I'll be taking her apart.

If you have a push button starter you will probably have another switch to put power to the coil. whatever side of the battery is ground, (in your case the pos post) that is the post of the coil that goes to the points. The other side should have power when the key is on. The big coil wire in the center goes to the cap. If you are using a 12v test light on a 6v system, the light will be real dim. I don't like flashing the wire at the battery. Creating a spark near the battery is a good way to blow it up in your face. Not a good time!!

#15 Wheelboy OFFLINE  

Wheelboy

• GTt Junior
  • 21 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 05:17 PM

Ok the coil works! Looks like I'm going to have to redo some wires. No power to coil. Thanks for the help guys!!😃 There is no key but a switch.
Yes test light is a 12v a little dim I used a volt meter to double check for current to coil. None

Edited by Wheelboy, September 02, 2015 - 05:19 PM.

• Alc said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: garden tractor