Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Wheelhorse replacement headlights

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 07:35 PM

I usually plow snow up at my dads with my 315-8.  The blade I use is more suitable for an older Wheelhorse.  As a result, I'm getting my Raider 14 whipped into shape to use up there instead.  It's been sitting for 5 years or so, but hey, it's a horse and it didn't take long to get it running again.  So now that it runs I'm looking at the headlights.  I got them working tonight after being quite certain I would need new bulbs.  Hey again, its a horse.  The lights, however, are not too bright (like their owner) so I need to find some brighter bulbs that would work.  I'm thinking LED lighting but I am unsure as to what I would be looking at to get this done.  Are there suitable LED bulbs that can be used on this tractor?  I'm not above rebuilding the lighting on that end, I just want bright lights.  My dad lives along a busy road with a 55 MPH speed limit.  I like plowing snow but not enough to die for it.

Edited by David Brown, September 01, 2015 - 05:44 AM.

#2 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,679 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 07:47 PM

For safety may I suggest a Mars light?

There are bulbs with more amperage but they may overheat the stock headlight.

Edited by LilysDad, August 31, 2015 - 07:49 PM.

• David Brown said thank you

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 08:23 PM

Wow. From what I saw that light would let me be seen from miles away. Not sure that's what I'm looking for. Would automotive led driving lights work or is the system too weak for those? Both are 12 volt and LEDs don't take much juice.

#4 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • Member No: 73578
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 08:40 PM

The tractor will power any reasonable amount of LED lights. By reasonable, I mean a lot of LED's. What does it have for standard bulbs? Are they 1157's or sealed beams? If 1157, they do make a white light variant...

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B009ELOAX4

I also recommend at least a cheap rotating amber beacon which is what I have on my Craftsman along with numerous peices of red reflector tape I got from wall mart. LED 1157's are also available.

Edited by backyardtinker, August 31, 2015 - 08:42 PM.

• MH81 and David Brown have said thanks

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,679 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 06:23 AM

I think an issue w/ headlights is, where will you mount them that the plow blade won't interfere.

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 06:45 AM

I think an issue w/ headlights is, where will you mount them that the plow blade won't interfere.

So true.  I have that problem with the Massey but the lights are bright enough that it really doesn't matter all that much.  My problem here is exactly what it always is with me.  I want to keep an original look while getting more light.  I thought about getting some round lights to mount on the side of the hood but then I have holes when I finally restore this tractor if that ever happens.  What I may do is find some LEDs to fit into the sockets (should have known they would make them now) and then get some plexi-glass to make a new shield in front of them.  The original ones hinder the lighting when they get old.  What I'm finding out though is my sockets are rather loose so when I go down thru the yard I have a strobe light effect.  That may be good but there's never any guarantee that they will come back on.  I have tail lights that I can use but I may look for an LED tail light anyway.

Edited by David Brown, September 01, 2015 - 06:46 AM.

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,679 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 07:16 AM

Any original headlight location will shine on the back of the plow, especially when the plow is raised. Ideal would be to have a ROPS type bar to mount them on, which would be removable.

#8 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 07:44 AM

I never noticed it being an issue with the other horse.  The blade just doesn't lift that high.  Yeah, ROPS with lights would be "it" for sure.

#9 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 08:11 AM

I want to keep an original look while getting more light.  I thought about getting some round lights to mount on the side of the hood but then I have holes when I finally restore this tractor if that ever happens. 

I bought some LED work lights from TSC for my skid loader to replace sealed-beam lights.  ...The difference in the amount of light is amazing!

Although mine are bolted on, you could mount the lights to a magnetic base, which would allow you to stick them on the top of the hood (assuming its steel), and not require drilling any holes. 

If you don't want to use the original headlights, you can power the LED's through an additional switch, or disconnect the originals at the switch.  ...When you see how much brighter the LED lights are, there is no reason to keep using the originals along with the LED's.  ....The LED's draw much less current than the original bulbs, so you don't have to worry about having adequate current available.

#10 Tankman OFFLINE  

Tankman
  • Member No: 21308
  • 294 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 07:09 PM

Might this LED work?

Oops sorry, wasn't thinkin' straight.  :beer:

Head_Gear_Light.jpg

• MH81, KennyP and David Brown have said thanks

#11 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 07:39 PM

[quote name="Tankman" post="604479" timestamp="1441152579"]

Might this LED work?

Oops sorry, wasn't thinkin' straight. :beer:

Head_Gear_Light.jpg[/quote

Good thought! I have a couple of those. Tonight I built a new cover out of a piece of plexiglass and just doing that made quite a difference. I may still get LEDs and maybe add some reflective material behind the bulbs. That should do the trick.

#12 shelbyv8 OFFLINE  

shelbyv8
  • Member No: 73063
  • 17 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 11:09 PM

On my C120 I ordered 1156 leds off of fleabay, bright as heck.  I tried the flat surface mount leds on one of my tractors, the little leds vibrated off.  The 1156's I ordered has the dome leds, they take the vibration better.  I also put a led 2x4 clearance light in place of the taillight, perfect fit.

• Alc and David Brown have said thanks

#13 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 04:23 AM

On my C120 I ordered 1156 leds off of fleabay, bright as heck.  I tried the flat surface mount leds on one of my tractors, the little leds vibrated off.  The 1156's I ordered has the dome leds, they take the vibration better.  I also put a led 2x4 clearance light in place of the taillight, perfect fit.

Good to know.  I've been looking at them but there are hundreds if not thousands to choose from.  Do you have a pic or something of the ones you got so I can be sure to get the right ones?

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 11:35 AM

I want to keep an original look while getting more light. I thought about getting some round lights to mount on the side of the hood but then I have holes when I finally restore this tractor if that ever happens.

http://gardentractor...ep/#entry524999
  • KennyP and David Brown have said thanks

#15 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 12:11 PM

Dude, that's freakin genius!  I love it.  Thanks.

• MH81 said thank you