• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 06:51 PM

I recently bought an 18315 tiller and it needs work. I assumed it should have a lift arm, but I downloaded the manual and it lists a lift cable instead. I am considering adapting it to work with the lift arm on my sleeve hitch and I am wondering if there is any reason I should not. I would guess the cable was used so if the tiller was bouncing it would not be stressing the lift assembley. I think if I used the sleeve hitch lift arm and only put a pin at the rear, it would be able to bounce without driving the rod forward. Just wanted to run this by you guys and see what you think.

Thanks, Jim

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 06:55 PM

Correct, these ones had a lift cable , I believe the early serial numbers may have not used them though. I can get you a cable if need be, do you have the clevis the cable end threads into?

If not you will need that as well

• boyscout862 and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#3 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 08:29 PM

It did not come with anything for the lift mechanism other than the arm on the tiller itself, which I am not sure is original. It has been welded on. I am not trying to restore it to original condition, just trying to make it functional, so if lift arm from my sleeve hitch will work, I will go with that..  I do need the seals for it  for sure, if you have those. And possibly bearings (I haven't got it fully apart yet). It did come with a driveshaft, but not the right one. The input shaft on the tiller has the same spline design as the pto on my 1054. The shaft that came with it has the right splines on one end, but finer, v shaped splines on the other end and I'm not sure if the shaft is the correct length either, I would say it looks like it was rode hard and put away wet, but realistically I think it was not put away at all. As I said, it is a project. I probably shouldn't have bought it, but I drove 3hrs to go look at it and the only other one I have found for sale is about 7 or 8hrs away in Michigan.

Thanks, Jim

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 08:43 PM

Have any pictures?

If you need anything send me a PM I should have all the bearings and seals in stock and if not they are only a few days away if I have to order them

#5 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 08:49 PM

I can tell you that the lift arm for my tiller works for my sleeve hitch also, it's what I'm using at the moment. Length wise it should be OK.
  • CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#6 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 09:00 PM

Thanks Chubien, that is good to know.

I do have a few pictures of it on my phone Bolens 1000, but they probably are not showing what you need to see. Do you have any specific parts you would like to see? Or just the terrible shape this thing is in? I will PM you when I have it all apart and know what all I need for it.

#7 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 05:34 PM

Here are some pictures of what I have to work with. One of the seals on the tine shaft has obviously failed and I am pretty sure that there is no oil left in the case. The unit was locked up tight when I went to see it (good working condition according to the seller). With some penetrating oil and a bit of effort we did get it moving before I bought it. It is moving freely now.The pins that hold the tines on are stuck and do not want to come out. I am going to have to drill them out I think. The heads of the bolts that hold the cover on the side of the gear case have been mostly worn off to the point that a wrench or socket can't grip them. I will try with vice grips, but will likely end up cutting what is left of the heads off with a grinder, then removing the remaining piece with vice grips after the cover is off. I will do my best to straighten the sheet metal and will be repainting it, but it is not going to be a show piece.

Attached Thumbnails

• 004.jpg
  • 006.jpg
  • 008.jpg
  • 011.jpg
  • 003.jpg
  • 022.jpg
  • 023.jpg

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 05:37 PM

Doest look too bad just needs a little love to bring her back to life

just wanted pics so we can see what we're dealing with and if anything is missing/broken :D

• CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#9 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 06:44 PM

Any thoughts on the driveshaft?

#10 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 09:41 PM

Any thoughts on the driveshaft?

Bolens medium frames and later large frames used that 15 spline shaft connection. You're mounting the tiller on a Tube frame? Will have to get the shaft end changed. My condolences. Yikes.

On second thought, if that was set up for a large frame you might be able to sell the shaft and buy one of the proper length and spline for a Tuber.

Edited by Paulgo, September 01, 2015 - 09:43 PM.