2 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 09:43 AM

Has anyone repaired the enlarged hole in the front axle in these tractors?  Wondering which is the best way to go about it.  When I put the jack under the frame, the frame will rise about 1/2" before the front axle starts to go up.  I am thinking it is because the hole for the pin has wore considerable and leaves very little room for the axle to float over uneven ground.

Is it best to weld a bushing across the axle where the original hole should be?  Or would it be stronger to put a flat iron, front and back inside the axle with a rounded out place for the pin?  I am thinking the second option would put the weight on the bottom of the axle itself and not on the welds for the bushing.  Any ideas would be more than welcome.

• HANKG said thank you

#2 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,863 Thanks
  • 2,786 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 10:31 AM

I'd go with option two
  • Marty'70 said thank you

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 02:59 PM

After I got it off the tractor and apart, I found the axle is a rectangular tube.  There is a bushing through the center for the pivot bolt.  The bushing was welded in at the top outside and then ground down flush with the axle itself.  The weld broke and allowed thew bushing to wear a large hole in the axle on both sides.  Took it to the welding shop for repairs as he has had a lot more experience than I have at metal repairs.  He is going to cut a square hole out where the bushing wore the axle.  Will then weld a plate back in the axle again on both side, drill the plate for a new bushing and weld it back in place.  Will get a photo of it when he is done, which should be tomorrow some time.

• wvbuzzmaster, HANKG, Bolens800uk and 1 other said thanks