Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

How Hard to Convert Belt Drive Mower to Shaft Drive?

ariens gt18 shaft drive mower mower powe 42 mower

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 12:08 AM

Hi All

I got an Ariens 42" mower with the GT18 I purchased this spring.  It works fine, but I'm finding that a little wider mower deck would work better for me.

I have several decks off other machines--a couple off older CC Narrow Frames, and one from a Ford LGT-series tractor.

How hard is it to convert one of these to shaft drive, using the gear box and lift arms, etc. off my Ariens Mower?

Or, there is a belt-driven 48" Ariens mower on eBay right now... looks identical to mine, except the front roller instead of skid plate , and the belt drive pulley instead of the right angle gear box.  Can something like this be converted easily?

Thanks,

Smitty

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,531 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 03:56 AM

Those thoughts have crossed my mind already. The rotations would have to be checked. To take the arms and hangers off another mower might work. It would be quite a bit of fabricating to start without that. With how the deck hangs with the front arms.
  • Utah Smitty said thank you

#3 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 05:46 AM

Last year there was a 48" Ariens deck on CL most of the year, about 100 miles from me,  and I noticed that too, how much the same it looked to my gearbox driven one for my GT19 besides being belt drive. IDK what model Ariens it may have come from but I think it would be the best base to start from in doing something like you are asking, I can see them using the same deck stamping for more than 1 model series. Trying to do this with another brand, I dunno. Depth of deck, front to back length, exact distance between pulleys and front edge of deck, is the deck youre looking at "dished" in the middle,  too many questions to try and figure out.

I do know that like anything else Ariens, decks are stupid expensive around here. I can find Sears/Roper decks for $50, even Deere 200/300 series ones for ~$150ish sometimes in decent or better shape. (which makes your idea/question more valid) Look on EPay. The deck "for" your machine seems to be $500+ even in not "great" shape.

I didnt know they even made a 42" version for these machines, the ones I see around are either 48" or 60".

• Utah Smitty and chieffan have said thanks

#4 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 10:54 PM

"I didnt know they even made a 42" version for these machines, the ones I see around are either 48" or 60".

I think they're a bit rare--I'm having problems finding cutting blades for it, whereas blades for the 48" and 60" are readily available.

It's big advantage is that it will through the gates of most yards is I swing the discharge chute up... the disadvantage is that when I'm mowing a parking strip, I have to keep the tires right on the concrete curb in order to cut the grass... a wider desk would allow me the keep the wheels further from the edge.

Thanks for the input... I think I'm going to try and find a 48" deck with belt drive close to me if possible...

Smitty

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 11:15 PM

I must be one of the few who is simple enough to try this. I put a simplicity deck under on of my Bolens diesel conversions. I was a lot of work and here's why. 

The Simplicity deck is deeper than the Bolens deck.

When installing the gearbox on top of it there wasn't a lot of room left to lift the deck.

You have to set up your own routing for the belt and work around the belt sizes available.

The blades will be operating the opposite direction so you might end up making your own blades like I did.

You will have to close off the discharge chute and cut a new opening on the opposite side of the deck.

Setting up the drive shaft and lift mechanism so that everything clears is time consuming.

But when your done you can say that you have the only one like it. 

Decks 003.JPG

Decks 008.JPG

Edited by Cvans, September 01, 2015 - 09:39 AM.

#6 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,531 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 04:20 AM

My Dad had a 42 inch deck. His was an early white one. What color is yours? I know they made the 42 in white. I don't know if they continued it in later years when the decks were orange.

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 05:44 AM

huh  mine is supposed to be a 48 though I have never really checked, I have never had it mounted to my machine, It is white and "rust".
 All I know is that when I got it the belt that connects the 3 blades was supposed to be new (10 years old but only mowed with a very few times since replacement) and the blades were also supposed to be new, but the PO "wasn't impressed" with the job that it did, mowing. I was told it is a 48"....  right now my tractor is stored away in a barn 30 miles from me, waiting for me to get caught up on other stuff around here so I have room to work and get caught up with other things I need to do, before I get it back here and finally finish getting it into shape.

were all white decks 42's?  I have noticed that most pics I see of these tractors with mowing decks on them or pics of decks by themelves all seem to be orange....

Edited by dodge trucker, September 01, 2015 - 05:46 AM.

#8 Natureboy OFFLINE  

Natureboy
  • Member No: 49649
  • 73 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 11:27 AM

I had an old 42" deck on mine that was orange, I have also seen white ones. You can find the occasional 42" around here, but the 48" and 60" seem to have gone the way of the dodo bird.

#9 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 07:14 PM

My Dad had a 42 inch deck. His was an early white one. What color is yours? I know they made the 42 in white. I don't know if they continued it in later years when the decks were orange.

My deck is orange from the factory, though there's white paint (not primer) under it... I suspect it was one of the early decks that was repainted to orange when they switched colors.

ARIENS GT18 LH 20150619.jpg IMG_20150711_124224_383.jpg IMG_20150711_124206_334.jpg

Smitty

• shorty said thank you

#10 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,531 Thanks
  • 3,919 posts

Posted September 01, 2015 - 08:07 PM

I have a white 48 and my dad has a orange 48 that replaced the 42.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ariens gt18, shaft drive mower, mower, powe, 42 mower