• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 BRIAN EK7&10 OFFLINE  

BRIAN EK7&10
  • Member No: 66742
  • 128 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 07:29 PM

does anyone know of any other tire brand available to replace the Carlisle 16x6.5x8 on my estate keepers. the old goodyears and firestones are all getting old and cracked and wont hold air any more. the Carlisle tire don't seem to hold up very long either.

#2 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 07:39 PM

Getting ready to mount these up for an EK 10 , been partial to Carlisle because of USA made, but this size (depending on type) are imported as well, like the tread on these Kenda's , why I chose them

http://www.ebay.com/...=item5b158bbe36

#3 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 07:41 PM

Miller Tires has many options

http://www.millertir...ires/16x6-50-8/

#4 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • Member No: 73578
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 08:01 PM

There are these, which I am likely going to purchase as I think they would be better for my future Loader build.

http://www.ebay.com/...2c379f4&vxp=mtr

Or these if load capacity isn't as critical

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Edited by backyardtinker, August 30, 2015 - 08:01 PM.

#5 craftsmanmowerfreak OFFLINE  

craftsmanmowerfreak
  • Member No: 16215
  • 258 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 08:08 PM

any tire will hold up has long has kept in a shed or out of weather sitting is worst thing for them. when tires dont hold air i buy tubes lol

• HJR said thank you

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 08:16 PM

I wish guys like miller tire started reproducing the old good year terra tires and firestone treads, alot of the new designs of tire tread make the machines look like crap IMO , I bet they would sell alot of those fire stone and good year treads if someone ever made them again.

• WrenchinOnIt, Austen and karl have said thanks

#7 craftsmanmowerfreak OFFLINE  

craftsmanmowerfreak
  • Member No: 16215
  • 258 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 09:10 PM

I wish guys like miller tire started reproducing the old good year terra tires and firestone treads, alot of the new designs of tire tread make the machines look like crap IMO , I bet they would sell alot of those fire stone and good year treads if someone ever made them again.

my sears ss15 have goodyear ags only tires that look closeis carlisle super lugs or btk trenchers. i like the ags both are tubed because they are over 30 years old but have some life left they were originally old pulling tires on a wheel horse.

#8 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 11:12 PM

I wish guys like miller tire started reproducing the old good year terra tires and firestone treads

Ditto. I've always liked that particular tread style and would love to see it reproduced. It looks great on any vintage GT.

When you see them listed, most of the time they are weatherchecked. If you can find a set that don't have any cracking, people want a lot of money for them.

Edited by Austen, August 30, 2015 - 11:12 PM.

#9 BRIAN EK7&10 OFFLINE  

BRIAN EK7&10
  • 128 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 12:51 PM

I wonder if goodyear still holds patent rights to the tread design?

#10 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 06:05 PM

I wonder if goodyear still holds patent rights to the tread design?

Titan/Dico bought out Goodyear L&G line ,my understanding the complete process dies and all, Carlisle did the same from Titan, along the line certain types were dropped because the new owner had what they felt was a similar tread design, (about 10 yrs ago had an interesting conversation with a Carlisle sales rep and was conveyed this information) . The EK's from the factory were Firestone ? ( thought I saw that somewhere) anyways that tread pattern was unique to them, I don't believe I've seen that tread pattern in that size on anything else Bolens made, guessing because the frame steers used the same size on all four corners and it was a good compromise between a turf and a traction.

Friedrich tire had a write up in LGT magazine a couple years back on what all tread types they were going to reintroduce,maybe a inquiry their way may shed some light.

I agree with Brian whole heartily about " the look " IMO if there is one out there that suffers from non-orginal tires detracting from its appearance it's the EK
  • Bolens 1000 and Bruce Dorsi have said thanks

#11 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 06:23 PM

Titan/Dico bought out Goodyear L&G line ,my understanding the complete process dies and all, Carlisle did the same from Titan, along the line certain types were dropped because the new owner had what they felt was a similar tread design, (about 10 yrs ago had an interesting conversation with a Carlisle sales rep and was conveyed this information) . The EK's from the factory were Firestone ? ( thought I saw that somewhere) anyways that tread pattern was unique to them, I don't believe I've seen that tread pattern in that size on anything else Bolens made, guessing because the frame steers used the same size on all four corners and it was a good compromise between a turf and a traction.

Friedrich tire had a write up in LGT magazine a couple years back on what all tread types they were going to reintroduce,maybe a inquiry their way may shed some light.

I agree with Brian whole heartily about " the look " IMO if there is one out there that suffers from non-orginal tires detracting from its appearance it's the EK

Thanks for the info on the tire company's!

The Early (White) EK's used Good year terra tires , the 67-69' EK10's (Yellow) used the fire stone brand with that wavy flame like pattern. Didnt the early Largeframe 1250's use the Fire stone with the same tread for their rear wheels? but of course those were a larger size.

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#12 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 08:22 AM

does anyone know of any other tire brand available to replace the Carlisle 16x6.5x8 on my estate keepers. the old goodyears and firestones are all getting old and cracked and wont hold air any more. the Carlisle tire don't seem to hold up very long either.

Carlisle tires will last just as long as any other brand.  Mother nature's machine shed is not good for anything like our tractor and equipment.

#13 BRIAN EK7&10 OFFLINE  

BRIAN EK7&10
  • 128 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 10:08 AM

Carlisle tires will last just as long as any other brand.  Mother nature's machine shed is not good for anything like our tractor and equipment.

mine are all kept inside! the rubber on Carlisle tires seems to get hard and crack. when the air leaks out they don't go flat, the side walls hold stiff until you move the tractor and the they break the bead.

#14 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted September 02, 2015 - 03:53 PM

mine are all kept inside! the rubber on Carlisle tires seems to get hard and crack. when the air leaks out they don't go flat, the side walls hold stiff until you move the tractor and the they break the bead.

I had two Bolens, one traded off, but the G12 still has the Carlisle tires on it on the rear .  Have had no problem in the last couple years and they are far from new.