16 replies to this topic

#1 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 07:25 PM

Looks like this one might be a good driver for a while. Its just a light 1994 half ton but it drives about like new and has been well taken care of. No rattles,noises,etc. on rougher roads. It only has 10,000 or so less miles then my 89 GMC 2500 but it has been way more..."pampered" for lack of a better word. It does not look like it has ever had anything in the bed. For the price as nice as it drives,and it has a rebuilt transmission... I'm thinking even if I have to put a engine in it down the road (You know GM) :poke:  :smilewink: . Actually it has low oil pressure. It came with a new in the box hi volume oil pump for when and if I feel froggy. It does have rust,we are in Indiana and the truck is 21 yeas old but it should make a good hauler / driver...and you can't buy anything worth a snot around here for a grand.

Attached Thumbnails

• 94 chevy 89 gmc 8 28 2015.jpg 5.jpg
  • 94 chevy 89 gmc 8 28 2015.jpg 2.jpg
  • 904 chevy 89 gmc 8 28 2015.jpg 2.jpg

Edited by rustyoldjunk, August 30, 2015 - 07:56 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 4 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,745 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 07:43 PM

Check the oil pressure gauge first. Change the oil and filter then evaluate if it needs the new oil pump. If it needs it do not delay. Add Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas to help the engine run better. Good Luck, Rick

• LilysDad said thank you

#3 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 08:06 PM

Nice find. Good trucks. Dad had a company truck that year long bed 2 wheel deal. Went many many miles.

I think all of those chevys ran with low oil pressure.
  • rustyoldjunk said thank you

#4 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 08:28 PM

Nice find. Good trucks. Dad had a company truck that year long bed 2 wheel deal. Went many many miles.

I think all of those chevys ran with low oil pressure.

Honestly my GM's over the years have always held good oil pressure and this one has low oil pressure symptoms fairly bad. It could be in the electric sending unit system but I'm not sure yet. At idle once warm it is almost 0 and only shows 20 or so when driving. I did use a bottle of conditioner similar to Lucas to be safer for now until I can check it out shortly.

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,682 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 09:30 PM

Don't you love rims with the wrong offset that hang out into the next lane? Yeah, that's not hard on anything; especially the fender wells that get dinged up on both sides...........Nice looking truck, though.  :thumbs:  

#6 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 10:46 PM

Don't you love rims with the wrong offset that hang out into the next lane? Yeah, that's not hard on anything; especially the fender wells that get dinged up on both sides...........Nice looking truck, though.  :thumbs:  

Thanks Cat for yet another rosie review but you forgot to :poke: . On a serious note though,I agree. I do like 33's on a solid axle truck or even on the twin traction beam trucks but the the GM trucks sit so low and have such a wide track that people can never seem to get a proper offset on their wheels. So the GM trucks with wheels like this remind of the low riders a few years ago with the wheels purposely set almost completely outside of the wheel wells. So I am going to agree with you this one time Cat....I just hope that it don't change how people here look at me...On another serious note I have already lined up a set of factory aluminum wheels to put on this truck.

Edited by rustyoldjunk, August 30, 2015 - 10:55 PM.

#7 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 10:58 PM

Something else I find curious is the front sets out considerably more than the rear. The wheels look to be the same offset too. I know the front track is normally a hair wider than the rear but not enough to easily see. I will have to measure the offset on the front and rear wheels.

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,908 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 04:26 AM

I can see Cat getting excited already. He managed to get Ben to agree with him. With you, his list is growing quickly. Oh yes, nice new ride. Looking good.

#9 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 05:16 AM

Something else I find curious is the front sets out considerably more than the rear. The wheels look to be the same offset too. I know the front track is normally a hair wider than the rear but not enough to easily see. I will have to measure the offset on the front and rear wheels.

My truck has the stock rims and you can see they are way in there

GMC005_zpse21bf808.jpg

#10 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,356 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 06:28 AM

GM trucks in those years in 4x4 had a 2"-2.5" wider track in front, there is a difference in 2wd as well but I'm not sure the amount, I've used forged spacers to even them out, but honestly if proper wheels are used it isn't an issue.

Edited by toppop52, August 31, 2015 - 06:29 AM.

#11 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 07:31 AM

Those wider, offset wheels exaggerate the wider front track on that truck, GM always has had a slider wider front.

I put wider wheels/tires on my Tahoe, the fronts are about 3/4-1" wider on each side than the rear. I need fender flares though, they fling junk all up the side and on windshield.

Both the original motor and the used one I swapped in the Tahoe show low oil pressure sometimes. It will read almost zero when really hot or oil is old. I even put a mechanical gauge on it, both read low. As long as you have about 7psi per 1000 rpm, you are safe. I even added a new oil pump and didn't help much. Mine will jump up to 25-30 while cruising at 2000 rpm or so. You could run some 15/40 or even 20/50 to help some.  

#12 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 08:46 AM

I've had a lot of small block Chevy's over the years. My 88' Caprice started showing a low oil pressure warning a few weeks ago. I changed the sending unit and that fixed it.I run Lucas oil stabilizer in everything,big and small. I buy it on sale and have 8 gallons on the shelf right now.

I bought a '94 Chevy extended cab a few weeks ago. It has 240,000 miles with a Jasper engine and transmission with 100,000 miles. My wife likes it, and she isn't a big fan of pickups.

Edited by freedhardwoods, August 31, 2015 - 08:48 AM.

• TAHOE said thank you

#13 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 09:22 AM

ditto on the sending unit problems. If it was a true low oil pressure problem, it should have improved ALOT when you added the lucas, that stuff pours like 90wt gear oil

#14 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 03:42 PM

The title says "I couldn't resist for the price". The price? :flipping_flapjacks:

#15 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 09:54 PM

It does have rust,we are in Indiana and the truck is 21 yeas old but it should make a good hauler / driver...and you can't buy anything worth a snot around here for a grand.

$1000. I was and am just very impressed with how unworn the interior is and how nice it rides and drives. No rough ride,no rattles or noises,very,very quiet truck. Even the turn signal lever has a very tight crisp new feel. The truck has been babied since new. It has 223,xxx miles and my 89 GMC has 233,xxx the wear difference is incredible.

• freedhardwoods said thank you