#1 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1978
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted April 09, 2011 - 09:27 PM

I picked this one up in a lot of three mowers for a quick fix and flip but this one looked interesting so I don't know whether to keep it or not. It is a Lawnboy YT 14H. It has a 14 hp Kohler Command engine. It also is Hydrostatic with a 20w reservoir on the back. I can't find anything about it so far on the web. Was looking for some info on it if anybody knew anything about it. I was wondering if it was related to a Gilson or a Ford? It kind of favors one, I think Gilson might have made the lawnboys. It has a homemade deck set up and was wondering if one from a Ford or Gilson would work on it.
100_3584.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_3579.jpg
  • 100_3581.jpg
  • 100_3583.jpg
  • 100_3586.jpg
  • 100_3580.jpg
  • 100_3582.jpg

#2 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 09, 2011 - 09:56 PM

Your on the right track with Gilson. I found this in Lawnboy History.

1988: To expand the product line, Lawn-Boy purchased Gilson Brothers, thereby inheriting a line of garden tractors, single and 2-stage snow throwers, roto tillers, and space heaters. Lawn-Boy headquarters was moved from Memphis, Tennessee to Plymouth, Wisconsin.

That should be a solid machine! Back in the early 80's I worked Building and Ground Maintenence at Farmhand inc.
My day consisted of 2-3 hrs of lubing machinery, Filling LP Tanks for Fork Trucks, custodial work and the balance of each day was spent mowing and maintaining the 20 acres of grounds. Most of that consisted of mowing with a 16 HP Gear Drive Gilson. I worked it hard and never had a breakdown.

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 09, 2011 - 10:01 PM.

#3 nova ss OFFLINE  

nova ss

• Member No: 1473
  • 8 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted April 09, 2011 - 11:45 PM

I have a 12 hydro and a 16 the Ford is the same, i use the 12 for grass cutting works great 16 needs to be put back together as far as i know Gilson built these. I found info on lawnboys site, it gives years built model # etc parts breakdown but most parts are not available anymore . A friend and i have 4 of them. I was going to buy the big one 18 hp hydro shaft drive etc but he never got back to me.

Edited by nova ss, April 09, 2011 - 11:55 PM.

#4 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1978
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted April 10, 2011 - 10:27 PM

I have done some more research and think it is a 1991 model# 52163 with an Eaton 850 Hydrostatic trans-axle. I think the hydro drive should be a tough unit considering it is an eaton and the motor should be tough considering it is a kohler. I really wish I could find a deck that would work better than the one that the PO has scabbed on it. I think I might keep it to mow with if I can make a deck work with it. It has a electric PTO so basically any nice deck will work I will just have to fab some supports and raising mechanisms if I cant find an original which I don't think I can but I am going to keep my eyes open.

#5 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted April 12, 2011 - 05:06 AM

Wow, I never even knew Lawn-Boy made riders and that one looks pretty stout to boot!

#6 83MALIBU OFFLINE  

83MALIBU

• Member No: 1750
  • 40 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted April 14, 2011 - 08:39 AM

When I first moved into my house I bought one from my new neighbor. I used it for 2 years without any trouble but traded for a bigger mower.