13 replies to this topic

#1 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 06:19 PM

Don't turn the gas on,pull the choke,push in the clutch while you are standing beside your tractor in the shop then hit the switch,fire it up and let the clutch out thinking its in neutral. (I push the clutch in to take tension off the drive belt for easier starts.) When in reality it is in high range first gear ! Because it will take off immediately,startling you,then punch out the biggest item in the shop near it in seconds even if you are lightening fast whipping it out of gear.......!!! This 68 Sears Suburban 12 is the culprit and the big trailer it is hooked to in the second picture was parked in front of it and was the victim ( Along with a floor jack that wasn't fazed). 

Attached Thumbnails

• sears big.jpg 3.jpg
  • sears and trailer.jpg

• daytime dave, MH81, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,754 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 06:23 PM

And so ends another episode of Veterinarians Hospital, where the quack has gone to the dogs. 

How's the nose cone on the Sears?

• rustyoldjunk and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 06:33 PM

I found out that the safeties on the Falcon were not hooked up after I chased it across the yard. I was standing beside it and turned the key and it was off in a flash.

• rustyoldjunk and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 06:40 PM

And so ends another episode of Veterinarians Hospital, where the quack has gone to the dogs. 

How's the nose cone on the Sears?

The tractor used the front wheels and mule drive to re position the trailer so the grill and nose is fine. This is a pre 73 model with a cast metal grill though so its a little (OK incredibly) stronger than the 73 up Suburban nose piece / grill.

Edited by rustyoldjunk, August 30, 2015 - 06:40 PM.

#5 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 06:51 PM

You were lucky. My neighbor had a 4wd tractor out along the road for sale. He. Went to bring it in for the night and stood beside it to start it for some reason. Said he knew better but did it anyway. It grabbed on to him and pulled him under. Luckily the berm was soft and the front wheels started to dig a hole in the berm while the back wheel dug a hole in his leg. It was about rubbing bone when someone stopped to help. He was down for quite a while with that one but he was pushing 80 when it happened. He's fine today but he doesn't do that anymore.
  • rustyoldjunk, boyscout862, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#6 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 07:04 PM

I found out that the safeties on the Falcon were not hooked up after I chased it across the yard. I was standing beside it and turned the key and it was off in a flash.

I had a mid 70's F250 years ago that had to always be shut off when I got out. It had a nasty habit of jumping into reverse and trying to leave without me if I left it running in park.

• boyscout862 and KC9KAS have said thanks

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 07:38 PM

I had a mid 70's F250 years ago that had to always be shut off when I got out. It had a nasty habit of jumping into reverse and trying to leave without me if I left it running in park.

Late 60s Fords were notorius for jumping out of park and into reverse. It happened to a Mom down the road from us. She stopped at the end of their driveway to get the mail. She put it in park and set the brake but left it running. As she stepped out of the car it jumped into reverse and started to roll. The door to the Ford wagon knocked her down and the front tire got her. My youngest brothers' friend (12 years old) had to grow up without a Mom. Good Luck, Rick

• rustyoldjunk said thank you

#8 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 08:01 PM

And yea, we complain about all of the safety switches and stuff. The smartest person can lose their train of thought for a moment and it's all it takes to get hurt or killed.
  • rustyoldjunk, boyscout862 and petrj6 have said thanks

#9 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 03:51 AM

I had a 1973 Grand Torino that jumped into reverse while running. It was running backwards in a circle in an open parking lot, but with each circle it was getting closer and closer to the parked cars. The drivers side was on the outside of the circle.
I chased it for about 2 laps and couldn't catch it. I stopped running and the next revolution I grabbed the door handle and opened the door. The next revolution was the tricky one....I jumped in the seat slamming the brake to stop it.
As the car came to a sliding halt, the open drivers door hit the bumper of a parked truck and bent the edge of the door.

About 2 months after this happened, FORD sent me a little sticker to put on the dash telling me this may happen!! I thought, TOO LATE!
  • rustyoldjunk, MH81, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#10 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 07:39 AM

I thought I  was the only one who did that. Glad the barn door was open and nothing in front of it.

• rustyoldjunk, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#11 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 09:11 AM

I was doing some research after buying a Jacobsen F10 fairway mower and ran across a news story where a city worker started the mower while standing behind the front wheels with the tractor in reverse. He was DOA.

CIMG1800

• rustyoldjunk and KennyP have said thanks

#12 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 11:50 AM

One perk to a messy shop is when you start one of he two Case garden tractors (sitting nose to nose 2 foot apart) and don't check your levers... The mess on floor between them compacts between the mule drives and the grills never touch lol.

I started a Springfield at a show while it was in gear. Started right up, drove over my foot... And stalled out lol.

One more, scariest one i did was rope start the Ottawa Buzz Master with all levers engaged... One stands in front of the walk behind tractor and next to the 30" circular saw blade! Never have i ever been so happy to dig mud out of the handlebars...

Lately I have been on a war path to unbypass neutral safety start switches on garden tractors equipped with them originally. I want to avoid at least a couple close calls each year.
  • rustyoldjunk and KennyP have said thanks

#13 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 05:38 PM

One perk to a messy shop is when you start one of he two Case garden tractors (sitting nose to nose 2 foot apart) and don't check your levers... The mess on floor between them compacts between the mule drives and the grills never touch lol.

I started a Springfield at a show while it was in gear. Started right up, drove over my foot... And stalled out lol.

One more, scariest one i did was rope start the Ottawa Buzz Master with all levers engaged... One stands in front of the walk behind tractor and next to the 30" circular saw blade! Never have i ever been so happy to dig mud out of the handlebars...

Lately I have been on a war path to unbypass neutral safety start switches on garden tractors equipped with them originally. I want to avoid at least a couple close calls each year.

Casey, I think these issues just migrate to you!

#14 Buck Tales OFFLINE  

Buck Tales
  • Member No: 73140
  • 150 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 09:24 PM

Oh yeah, the old I thought it was in neutral trick, thank God you were not hurt. Other than pride that is. Hope it didn't tear up the trailer too much also as I know that 1st gear all to well and if you got that throdle up just a tad thats a lot of torque running wild.   I did have a friend who enjoyed a little too much spirits one night and couldn't get his Firebird started. So he opened the hood and hung over the side with a screw driver to just the solinoid. You guessed it, away he went, right into the wall on the other side of the lot. Thank God he didn't lean over the front or his legs would have been smashed. And NO we didn't let him drive home, but his car wasn't doing to well after that with the mashed up grill and 2 broken headlights either. Glad you were not hurt.