• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CraftsmanGT ONLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • Member No: 67395
  • 187 Thanks
  • 228 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 04:32 PM

The 30" sickle bar on my Simplicity Model D will not cut anything over 6 inches tall or even short but thick grass. It gets plugged up and stops even with the tractor at a crawl. The manual is no help. Bar is sharp, it makes a full stroke. I'm starting to think it's a useless attachment

#2 Kilroy OFFLINE  

Kilroy
  • Member No: 74706
  • 7 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 04:42 PM

I've heard the blade needs to ride close to bar. If there is a gap it doesn't cut, just like scissors that are not tight
Also I've heard moisture plays a role.I don't really know anything but mine does same thing though it's old and rusty

#3 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 05:05 PM

Let's start with the basics.  Are you missing the hold down brackets (green circles) and is the bar sitting flat in the guide recess (blue arrow)?  Also, are you running the correct pulleys?  I found I needed to run the tractor in its slowest speed and the mower at full speed to get the clippings to clear between slices.

sickle mower.jpg

• Alc, boyscout862 and Kilroy have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 05:19 PM

I agree with above but also want to point out that the pictured sickle is missing the verticle paddles that push the sides out to reduce clogging. Make sure it is well lubed. I have one but haven't used it in over 35 years. It worked well when I used it. All equipment works well when it is properly maintained and used. Good Luck, Rick

#5 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 06:08 PM

I agree with above but also want to point out that the pictured sickle is missing the verticle paddles that push the sides out to reduce clogging. Make sure it is well lubed. I have one but haven't used it in over 35 years. It worked well when I used it. All equipment works well when it is properly maintained and used. Good Luck, Rick

By vertical paddles, are you referring to the weed bars (black arrows)?

1a.jpg

Here is a quote that might help: 

OPERATION INSTRUCTIONS

If clean cutting is to be accomplished, sickle knives must register with the guards at the end of each stroke. Adjustment is provided in the Pitman (3).

It is desirable to have tractor wheels at widest position. For cutting fine grass, such as June grass, the cutting unit must be kept in first-class condition. The sickle must be sharp and held close to the ledger or guard plates by the sickle clip and supported by wear plates that are not badly worn. To adjust sickle clips (16), remove sickle from bar and adjust clips by tapping with hammer until sickle is held close to the guard plate. Wear plates under the clips must be replaced when they show wear.

http://www.simpletra.../sickle_bar.htm

Edit: P.S. yes I know it is not on a Simplicity Model D tractor.

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, August 30, 2015 - 06:09 PM.

• Alc and Lauber1 have said thanks

#6 CraftsmanGT ONLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • Member No: 67395
  • 187 Thanks
  • 228 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 03:43 PM

Yes everything is there on mine. I'm running it on the smallest pulley. I tried running it at full throttle with the tractor at a crawl with no luck in some 8 inch high grass.

#7 cheval OFFLINE  

cheval
  • Member No: 43977
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted September 03, 2015 - 07:11 PM

You want the points of the knives to stop and start each stroke under the stone guard fingers. To adjust the stroke there are a couple small yokes between the driving pulley and the arm that slides the sickle back and forth. The yokes are connected by a bolt with jam nuts. Loosen the jam nuts and play with the length of throw until you get the sickle knives to stop as I said.  Once you've got the adjustment tighten the jam nuts very tight. They tend to loosen- but I wouldn't use locktight because you may have to do it again.

• DougT said thank you

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 07:32 AM

By vertical paddles, are you referring to the weed bars (black arrows)?

The paddles I'm referring to are mounted to the cutter so that they go back and forth with the blade. I'll see if I can get a pic but I know it is buried in a back corner of the basement. Good Luck, Rick