• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 03:00 AM

best way to tell if it's vapor locking is to poor some cold water over the carb,pump and line and see if it will start.It's basically boiling the gas to a vapor in the line.

Our old international farm truck dumper would run fine for about 30-45 minutes before it started vapor locking.The old girl had a cracked manifold and no exhaust.Simple fix was to re-route the fuel line away from the manifold and run new high pressure rubber fuel line.Your fuel line runs under the manifold and down to the carb.If you re-route it down the other side of the water pump and down around the crank pulley and up to the pump it won't vapor lock any more.

Thanks for the info. The line has been patched on both sides of the fuel pump already. I'll look into rerouting it when I get home.

#17 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,908 posts

Posted August 31, 2015 - 04:41 AM

Nice truck. Reminds me of my Dad's old truck. Brings back a lot of good memories.
  • freedhardwoods said thank you

#18 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted September 03, 2015 - 05:11 PM

I did a little checking on the fuel system today.

First I pulled the gas line at the carb, put the end in a tin can, and cranked for about five seconds. No gas.

Next I unscrewed the filter can. There was a very little dirty gas in the bottom, but the filter didn't look dirty, so I put it back in for now.

Then I pulled off the line coming from the tank at the carb. Gas ran out like it should.

I went back to the carb line and put it in the can again. When I cranked this time, It started filling the can.

I put the line back on, and on the third try (pouring a little gas in the carb each time) it stayed running on its own.

I haven't driven it on the road yet, but it acts like nothing is wrong.

Vapor lock? Dirt in the line that got knocked loose? smiley-confused013.gif

Edited by freedhardwoods, September 03, 2015 - 05:11 PM.

#19 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted September 03, 2015 - 07:11 PM

I think I might even have one out here Willie. Let me know if you are interested....A little more... :poke:

I will give you everything I have for it - $4 and some stale Chees-its.

• rustyoldjunk said thank you

#20 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted September 03, 2015 - 10:25 PM

I will give you everything I have for it - $4 and some stale Chees-its.

While I understand you are offering fair market value for a GM truck,I like an eejit I have a little more than that in it and hate to lose money on it at this point. Maybe if you could do $8,a fresh box of white cheddar Cheese-its and a 6 pack of RC 20 once bottles ? Again,I know that's above fair market for a non running GM but its the best I can do. I can throw in a Dodge key chain if that will help...?.....

Edited by rustyoldjunk, September 03, 2015 - 10:27 PM.

• KennyP and shorty have said thanks

#21 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 06:27 PM

I changed all the rubber lines on the gas and water today. I flushed the water and put in new antifreeze. I put the original, four solid blade fan on. I haven't been anywhere to get a shroud for it. Idling in the driveway, the temp doesn't get over 170*.

I blew out the line to the tank, refilled it twice, and sucked it dry twice. The problem has to be in the tank. I put a gallon jug of gas on the frame and ran a line to the pump to move it around for now. I will pull the tank later and see what it looks like inside.

I priced a new tank at lmctruck.com. It costs $199.50 there. A friend of mine told me there is someone locally that will internally clean and coat tanks, but didn't know how much they charge. I'm going to check into that.TEMP GAS TANK.jpg

Edited by freedhardwoods, September 04, 2015 - 06:43 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#22 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted September 04, 2015 - 09:00 PM

While I understand you are offering fair market value for a GM truck,I like an eejit I have a little more than that in it and hate to lose money on it at this point. Maybe if you could do $8,a fresh box of white cheddar Cheese-its and a 6 pack of RC 20 once bottles ? Again,I know that's above fair market for a non running GM but its the best I can do. I can throw in a Dodge key chain if that will help...?.....

See you were doing good till the Dodge keychain. Now the deal is off

• rustyoldjunk and freedhardwoods have said thanks

#23 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 05:54 PM

UncleWiilie said " WellI feel stupid". I think I feel stupider.

When I bought this truck, the po said when he tried to put some gas in, it was full. I stopped at a gas station about 4 miles from his place. I couldn't even get a gallon in it. I could hear the gas in the filler neck and it kicked off 3 times. This info is important.

After all the checking I did, it was finally time to siphon the gas out so I could get the tank out.

IT WAS EMPTY!!!!!!banghead3.gifbanghead3.gifbanghead3.gif

I pulled it up to my gas tank with a straight nozzle and hand pump, and put in close to 20 gallons. I pulled it up to the shop again and walked around to the passenger side.

Gas was dripping out of the cab. 1106.gifbanghead3.gif

Next I siphoned the gas out like I started to do in the first place.

That was enough "fun" on the truck for Saturday. I went and bought a tiller.smiley-greet013.gif

In my defense, a guy at work said the same thing happened to him years ago. He had to dribble gas in to fill it after that.

Edited by freedhardwoods, September 06, 2015 - 06:00 PM.

#24 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,729 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted September 06, 2015 - 06:58 PM

Yikes. No smoking in the truck!