• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 12:54 PM

My 78' Chevy work truck is going to need some downtime to fix a few things. I was looking for an old truck to use while it's down and found this - a 64' 3/4 ton with a dump bed. I've been wanting a dump truck for a long time. Manual windows, brakes, and steering and no fancy gadgets or computer to fiddle with. I paid $1400 for it.

It needs some attention on the brakes (it pulls to the left), steel bed (needs rebuilt), and gas line/fuel pump (see below).

As I was driving it home, I noticed it was running a little hotter than it should. I stopped to look under the hood, and that's when I noticed someone put the wrong fan on. It was blowing forward, and as you can see in the pic, the exhaust is pretty close to the fan. That probably didn't help cool it very well. Sitting on the side idling brought the temp down a little.

A couple miles later, it just died. It would run if you poured gas down the carb. I didn't have any tools, parts stores were closed, and I had to get up early today, so I called a tow truck and let them take it home. It's a real simple fuel system, so I'll figure it out and get it running next weekend.

Attached Thumbnails

• A.jpg
  • B.jpg
  • C.jpg

Edited by freedhardwoods, August 30, 2015 - 12:56 PM.

• rustyoldjunk, Gtractor, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,727 Thanks
  • 8,908 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 01:00 PM

I see no reason why that would not cool effectively.

:bigrofl:  :bigrofl: :bigrofl:  

• freedhardwoods and Marty'70 have said thanks

#3 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 01:27 PM

No shroud and a backwards fan. Interesting setup.

Neat truck! I love those body styles. One of these days. I keep finding nice square body Chevy trucks on craigslist. I want to get one and restore it with my son. I was talking about this with my wife and apparently the little girl wants a truck to restore with dad too. Might need to get on this soon. She will be 6 soon!
  • freedhardwoods and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#4 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 01:35 PM

No shroud and a backwards fan. Interesting setup.

Neat truck! I love those body styles. One of these days. I keep finding nice square body Chevy trucks on craigslist. I want to get one and restore it with my son. I was talking about this with my wife and apparently the little girl wants a truck to restore with dad too. Might need to get on this soon. She will be 6 soon!

Here ya go

http://www.kijiji.ca...gationFlag=true

That is a nice old ford..possibly just a plugged fuel filter considering it just quit and will run pouring gas down carb.. They don't get much simpler than that era and parts are easy to find.

• freedhardwoods said thank you

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 02:00 PM

Very nice old Ford you bought. I had a 1966 ford F250 V8 and it was no power anything but fun to drive on the weekends.

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 02:12 PM

FORD stands for Fix Or Repair Daily. :poke:  The fuel system may have "vapor locked" because it was too hot. The filter may be plugged too, as noted before. Replace the fan and find a shroud. Flush the entire cooling system.

The brakes on old vehicles will take alot of getting used too. The stopping distances, with all around drums, will be more than double what our modern brakes can stop. You might just be ahead by doing the complete system. Check the drums first, If they need replacing, it is going to be expensive. Check with  www.RockAuto.com  for competitive prices. The safety challenges of these old trucks(I have about 10) makes it scary to drive them above 45 mph. Above that the brakes overheat and "fade" when stopping fast. Post your progress and ask questions. Good Luck, Rick

Try to find a Dwell/Tach for better setting the points. They show up cheap at fleamarkets now.

Edited by boyscout862, August 30, 2015 - 02:14 PM.

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 02:16 PM

GREAT old truck!!!

Looks like a new $400+ aluminum radiator in there! 

If I was working on the fan I'd change it to a fan clutch.  They are the most efficient without going to electric. 

Solid mount  "flex-fan"s make a lot of noise at higher RPM's.   I'm betting that thing has stump puller gears so its really going to be singing on the highway. 

Edited by Gtractor, August 30, 2015 - 02:20 PM.

#8 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 05:06 PM

NOt bad at all. I would even drive a ford that old - after I swapped over a Chevy running gear!

• olcowhand and freedhardwoods have said thanks

#9 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,299 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 05:18 PM

Betting the fuel vapor locked between the pump and the carb.The steel gas line runs WAY to close to the exhaust manifold.Looks like it's almost touching the manifold.

292 Y block?

• freedhardwoods and Marty'70 have said thanks

#10 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 05:42 PM

Don't listen to the haters! Nice old Ford! Wish I could find something older than me that isn't rusted away around here. Good luck with your new toy.

#11 Lmiller3358 ONLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,333 Thanks
  • 1,321 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 05:50 PM

FORD stands for Fix Or Repair Daily. :poke:  The fuel system may have "vapor locked" because it was too hot. The filter may be plugged too, as noted before. Replace the fan and find a shroud. Flush the entire cooling system.

The brakes on old vehicles will take alot of getting used too. The stopping distances, with all around drums, will be more than double what our modern brakes can stop. You might just be ahead by doing the complete system. Check the drums first, If they need replacing, it is going to be expensive. Check with  www.RockAuto.com  for competitive prices. The safety challenges of these old trucks(I have about 10) makes it scary to drive them above 45 mph. Above that the brakes overheat and "fade" when stopping fast. Post your progress and ask questions. Good Luck, Rick

Try to find a Dwell/Tach for better setting the points. They show up cheap at fleamarkets now.

Or, " Found On Road Dead", like the tow truck driver found it !, Nice truck though, GL with it 

#12 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 05:56 PM

FORD stands for Fix Or Repair Daily. :poke:

NOt bad at all. I would even drive a ford that old - after I swapped over a Chevy running gear!

I'm not loyal to any brand. Right now, I have 4 GM's and 2 Fords, but I drove my "Treebasher" Dodge (see my avatar) for 10 years and a 5th Avenue. I bought with over 200,000 miles for 6 years.

That is a nice old ford..possibly just a plugged fuel filter considering it just quit and will run pouring gas down carb.. They don't get much simpler than that era and parts are easy to find.

The fuel system may have "vapor locked" because it was too hot. The filter may be plugged too, as noted before. Replace the fan and find a shroud. Flush the entire cooling system.

Betting the fuel vapor locked between the pump and the carb.The steel gas line runs WAY to close to the exhaust manifold.Looks like it's almost touching the manifold.

292 Y block?

Yes, it's a 292 Y block.I was going to flush the system. The original 4 blade fan is laying on the floorboard.

I have heard and read about vehicles vapor locking, but never had it happen. I let it sit about 45 minutes. How long do you have to let it cool down?

Part of the work I need to do to my Chevy truck is fix the back brakes. I've been stopping on only the front two for a couple years. Being used to that, I thought the old ford stopped pretty good. :D

GREAT old truck!!!

Looks like a new $400+ aluminum radiator in there! 

If I was working on the fan I'd change it to a fan clutch.  They are the most efficient without going to electric. 

Solid mount  "flex-fan"s make a lot of noise at higher RPM's.   I'm betting that thing has stump puller gears so its really going to be singing on the highway. 

I noticed that high dollar radiator too. I'm betting they were having overheat problems before I bought it. It could be the water pump. A new one is fairly cheap.

I have no idea about the gears, but it went down the highway pretty good.

Edited by freedhardwoods, August 30, 2015 - 06:07 PM.

• Gtractor said thank you

#13 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 07:06 PM

I would even drive a ford that old - after I swapped over a Chevy running gear!

Why go to all that trouble to make it less dependable?    I'm betting it wouldn't be hard to find a Chevy that already needs the drivertrain replaced.  :poke:

• rustyoldjunk said thank you

#14 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 07:13 PM

Why go to all that trouble to make it less dependable?    I'm betting it wouldn't be hard to find a Chevy that already needs the drivertrain replaced.  :poke:

I think I might even have one out here Willie. Let me know if you are interested....A little more... :poke:

• Gtractor and UncleWillie have said thanks

#15 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,299 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted August 30, 2015 - 08:17 PM

best way to tell if it's vapor locking is to poor some cold water over the carb,pump and line and see if it will start.It's basically boiling the gas to a vapor in the line.

Our old international farm truck dumper would run fine for about 30-45 minutes before it started vapor locking.The old girl had a cracked manifold and no exhaust.Simple fix was to re-route the fuel line away from the manifold and run new high pressure rubber fuel line.Your fuel line runs under the manifold and down to the carb.If you re-route it down the other side of the water pump and down around the crank pulley and up to the pump it won't vapor lock any more.